•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron CPC1100 Altitude Drive suddenly has a lot of play in it - can I fix this?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 drmedjools

drmedjools

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:54 PM

I've been using an older model Celesrton CPC1100.  If has been working well until tonight when the altitude drive developed a lot of play in it, like several degrees worth even with the clutch turned down tightly.  The scope is balanced so it's not due to that.  The drive works but with so much play it does not follow along that direction.

Is there something I can do to repair this sudden problem?  This must have been discussed here many times.  Or do I have to get it repaired by some professionals?

Dr Medjools

#2 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:18 PM

Where are you located? I am in the San Fernando Valley I may be able to fix it.

Bruce

#3 punk35

punk35

Apollo

• Loc: Adrian Michigan

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:35 PM

I ran into the same problem with my CPC11. 

Heres a link to the thread I made about it and how I fixed the issue. Photos in the thread show the set screws that needed tightening.

https://www.cloudyni...loppy-alt-axis/

Hope this helps.

• KerryR likes this

#4 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:14 PM

I hate all the ill placed CPC cover screws.  I'm not sure why they didn't simply thread the bosses in the fork arm and attach the cover with 6 reasonably placed screws through the cover on the outside, that would have made far more sense.  

• punk35 likes this

#5 drmedjools

drmedjools

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:56 PM

Wade, I'll try your path tonight.  And preference on the grease used on the drive gear?

Dr. Medjools

• punk35 likes this

#6 drmedjools

drmedjools

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:34 PM

Well it worked!  Thanks, Wade.  In my case the screw down the center of the clutch (you can see it in your posted first image) was loose.  The two set screws on each side of the clutch were really tight.  I couldn't get them off with the small Allen wrenches I have.  Might have to get a heavier duty wrenches in small sizes, if that exists.

Once I tighten the somewhat loose Allen screw in the clutch, the slop was gone.  I suspect that moving the tube with the clutch engaged when placing it in the JMI boxes caused it to loosen.  But now I know how to fix it, at least.

Thanks, Wade for the great advice.

Dr Medjools

• punk35 likes this

#7 punk35

punk35

Apollo

• Loc: Adrian Michigan

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:43 AM

Great news! I’m glad it worked out for you.  Always a pleasure to help fellow CNers waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics