•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter & Ganymed with Celestron 8SE

astrophotography cassegrain Celestron planet
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alexander83

Alexander83

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The Hague, NL

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:53 AM

This is one of my best shots of Jupiter yet. Made yesterday from Brunei (4 deg north of equator). Pretty good detail for 8 inch telescope. 

Jupiter & Ganymed 20190522 from Brunei

Edited by Alexander83, 22 May 2019 - 01:53 AM.

• Mark9473, George Bailey, troyt and 12 others like this

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:32 AM

Very good. Detail on moon and even GRS streamer showing.

https://spaceweather...pot-unraveling/

Remote scope ?

#3 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:46 AM

This is one of my best shots of Jupiter yet. Made yesterday from Brunei (4 deg north of equator). Pretty good detail for 8 inch telescope. 

Great detail for an 8", congrats!

I'm glad others have managed to image this event - a huge and night-long bank of clouds moved in on me just after I'd finished tweaking my ADC.  :(

Such is life ... I'll live vicariously through this aptly named forum.  :)

#4 Alexander83

Alexander83

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:50 AM

Very good. Detail on moon and even GRS streamer showing.

https://spaceweather...pot-unraveling/

Remote scope ?

Hi, actually currently live in Brunei, so I have the pleasure of being eaten by mosquitoes while imaging. The sky here is very calm in some nights (when its not cloudy), and Jupiter is also very high in the sky (again, due to location close to equator).

This makes planetary imaging here a lot easier than in my previous location in Holland, see picture below (same scope, similar event):

MVI_1031_pipp_lapl4_ap46.jpg

I also upgraded to a ZWO294MC which has lower noise than my Canon DSLR which was used for the older picture. But the most impact was probably done by the atmospheric conditions haven't compared the cameras yet in the same conditions.

#5 kurbs

kurbs

Explorer 1

• Loc: 60014

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:05 AM

Great image! But you suck...now I have to look at upgrading my camera lol! Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

#6 Alexander83

Alexander83

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:52 AM

Great image! But you suck...now I have to look at upgrading my camera lol! Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Before you throw yourself at another camera, better wait until I can make a proper comparison, not sure yet how much it really helped, is an expensive experiment otherwise...

#7 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Soyuz

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

Before you throw yourself at another camera, better wait until I can make a proper comparison, not sure yet how much it really helped, is an expensive experiment otherwise...

I suspect the camera is only a tiny fraction of the difference, if at all.

Seeing is likely 95% of the difference, if not more.

Many of my better images came a few years ago, with older, inferior cameras - but Jupiter and Saturn were riding high in northern skies back then.

• Billytk likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, cassegrain, Celestron, planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics