•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter's Great Red Spot is evaporating. Your chance to observe it happen in a larger telescope.

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:52 AM

The Great Red Spot (GRS) is undergoing a makeover:

https://spaceweather...pot-unraveling/

And this is the NASA press release (although this is not new news):

https://www.gemini.edu/node/12679

I think this could be a worthwhile undertaking to observe the GRS this June/July/August with one of your larger telescopes (e.g. 8" SCT and above).***

***The question is not if you can see the GRS in your tiny 4" apo (or my tiny Vixen VMC 110L); the question is can you see the outflowing streamer gas? I think this calls for a larger telescope (jibe: your contrast myth in your 4" apo doesn't help in real live).

• Dave Mitsky, Asbytec, Procyon and 2 others like this

#2 Sam M

Sam M

Messenger

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:50 AM

I noticed that two weeks ago.  It was the first time I'd seen the GRS this year.  I was wondering if it was a change, or just my view that night and faded memory.

• Procyon likes this

#3 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:50 AM

My 140 refractor shows more detail on Jupiter than my 8" SCT ever did.  

• soldatispace and Matt78 like this

#4 Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:31 AM

I noticed that two weeks ago.  It was the first time I'd seen the GRS this year.  I was wondering if it was a change, or just my view that night and faded memory.

I missed this yesterday.

But people are already aware of the phenomenon:

https://www.cloudyni...u/#entry9381457

#5 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

Interesting, I haven’t observed Jupiter since last year, so will try and see this soon.  Might use my new 8” Meade SCT.

Bill

#6 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:04 PM

I saw the Spaceweather article yesterday.  There's an S & T article on the topic at https://www.skyandte...-in-your-scope/

Dave Mitsky

• havasman likes this

#7 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:07 PM

A recent image of the GRS is posted at http://www.acquerra....20190522-144006

• REC and Magnetic Field like this

#8 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:59 PM

I was able to see the ring around the GRS and the streamer coming off it in my WO ZS110, IM715D and C9.25 using  275X-350X during  very good seeing  several times this year. They are dark so they're not that hard to see.  Way too many clouds here recently hoping they clear up soon! David

Edited by dscarpa, 22 May 2019 - 05:01 PM.

• Magnetic Field likes this

#9 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ower Yonder 01.5ºW. 55ºN (UK)

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:36 PM

A detailed/learned account here...........http://alpo-j.asahik...19/j190522s.htm

.............................................................................................................................................

Edited by David Gray, 23 May 2019 - 12:11 PM.

• Special Ed and leviathan like this

#10 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:55 AM

I saw the Spaceweather article yesterday.  There's an S & T article on the topic at https://www.skyandte...-in-your-scope/

Dave Mitsky

Good article. Hope we get some nice seeing months to check it out. June is usually a bad weather month and it's already starting early here in NC.

#11 Matt78

Matt78

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:11 AM

The Great Red Spot (GRS) is undergoing a makeover:

https://spaceweather...pot-unraveling/

And this is the NASA press release (although this is not new news):

https://www.gemini.edu/node/12679

I think this could be a worthwhile undertaking to observe the GRS this June/July/August with one of your larger telescopes (e.g. 8" SCT and above).***

***The question is not if you can see the GRS in your tiny 4" apo (or my tiny Vixen VMC 110L); the question is can you see the outflowing streamer gas? I think this calls for a larger telescope (jibe: your contrast myth in your 4" apo doesn't help in real live).

Sadly, some of us don't have 8" scopes. It's not necessarily a matter of our views on the merits of apos, so much as our economic means... We'll just have to ready plenty of spinach, pump up the mag, squint, and hope.
  • havasman likes this

#12 Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:46 AM

Sadly, some of us don't have 8" scopes. It's not necessarily a matter of our views on the merits of apos, so much as our economic means... We'll just have to ready plenty of spinach, pump up the mag, squint, and hope.

Why not observe the GRS  with your 5" Nexstar? 5" is already a capable instrument size and similar to a 80 or 90mm apochromat..

Your Maine is approx 45 degrees latitude and Jupiter is 5 degrees or more higher in the sky than in the UK. Definitely worth observing it with your Nexstar.

Btw: My 8" SCT minimum aperture was taken out of thin air.

Edit: here you get GRS transit times. Note: the times are in UT (Universal Time) and you have to convert it into your time (for Maine you subtract 4 hours from the UT time to get the time in your local time):

https://www.projectp...eve_grs.htm#aug

Or if you have got say SkyChart installed klicking on Jupiter will open a pop up window with some GRS transit information (in your local time).

Edited by Magnetic Field, 23 May 2019 - 12:17 PM.

#13 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:48 AM

Sorry guys, I misused my zarkov cloud gun and really screwed things up! Please don't be mad, I'll try to fix it...
  • BradFran and Matt78 like this

#14 Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:59 AM

Sorry guys, I misused my zarkov cloud gun and really screwed things up! Please don't be mad, I'll try to fix it...

I just typed it into google.

Is this a joke (not your post) or the remnants of a 1st April's fools joke: the Zarkov Cloud Gun?

#15 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:02 PM

I wondered the same thing for awhile but the reviews are to die for... still haven't got a staight answer.

Edited by NorthernlatAK, 23 May 2019 - 12:05 PM.

#16 Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:16 PM

I wondered the same thing for awhile but the reviews are to die for... still haven't got a staight answer.

I think I rather pray for better weather.

#17 Matt78

Matt78

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:37 PM

Why not observe the GRS with your 5" Nexstar? 5" is already a capable instrument size and similar to a 80 or 90mm apochromat..

Your Maine is approx 45 degrees latitude and Jupiter is 5 degrees or more higher in the sky than in the UK. Definitely worth observing it with your Nexstar.

Btw: My 8" SCT minimum aperture was taken out of thin air.

Edit: here you get GRS transit times. Note: the times are in UT (Universal Time) and you have to convert it into your time (for Maine you subtract 4 hours from the UT time to get the time in your local time):

https://www.projectp...eve_grs.htm#aug

Or if you have got say SkyChart installed klicking on Jupiter will open a pop up window with some GRS transit information (in your local time).

Oh I will observe it! I was just being a bit snarky/facetious, perhaps. However, I'll probably need to eat my spinach and squint really hard...

#18 Matt78

Matt78

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:16 PM

You'd better! We're having some really cloudy weather down here in Maine, no thanks to you.

#19 AxelB

AxelB

Apollo

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:13 PM

No amount if spinach and squinting will pierce through the « perma-clouds" that plagues my area these days... weeks... months!

#20 Matt78

Matt78

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:47 AM

No amount if spinach and squinting will pierce through the « perma-clouds" that plagues my area these days... weeks... months!

Try kale

#21 jrbuchanan

jrbuchanan

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:40 PM

I took this picture last night and it clearly shows the Great Red Spot unraveling.  I took this on a Celestron NextStar 6se and a ZWO asi 224 camera.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 01_16_15_pipp_g5_ap37_Drizzle30.png

• Dave Mitsky, Special Ed, GilATM and 12 others like this

#22 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mayo (Maryland)

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:30 AM

Impressive. waytogo.gif

#23 BradFran

BradFran

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mars

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:55 AM

You're not supposed to put the Zarkov in your focuser and aim it at anything. Didn't you RTFM before pulling the trigger? A collimated Zarkov beam is virtually unstoppable! Geez. We won't get another red spot like that for at least... what... a thousand years?

• Matt78 likes this

#24 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:45 PM

You're not supposed to put the Zarkov in your focuser and aim it at anything. Didn't you RTFM before pulling the trigger? A collimated Zarkov beam is virtually unstoppable! Geez. We won't get another red spot like that for at least... what... a thousand years?

I should be able to switch the battery around and the spot should hold hopefully. But first I need to bust my "local" cloud layer to see it first. Then I'll switch polarity. It'll probably make it rain after I do this so someone will need to confirm I nailed the spot.
  • Matt78 likes this

#25 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:15 AM

I took a look at Jupiter this AM between 3:45 and 5:00 local time (26 May 0745-0900 UT).  Jupiter was over an hour past culmination and dropping in altitude rapidly but this was when the GRS was in view.  Seeing was below average so the ADC wasn't as much help as it usually is. 

Using 163x, 196x, and 233x, the GRS appeared very red and slightly elongated towards the preceding side but I couldn't really see any detail.  The clouds surrounding the RSH and preceding the Spot itself were hard to detect--again the seeing. The turbulence immediately following the GRS made that part of the SEB appear white or bright.  The STrZ following the GRS appeared broad. 

I tried a W80A filter which improved the contrast of the GRS but the seeing overwhelmed any advantage there so no further detail seen.  By now Jupiter was down to 20 degrees altitude and the seeing was worsening so I packed it in.  I didn't attempt a sketch.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics