•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Things are improving

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:27 AM

Was "out" observing again last night - things are improving here in upstate NY after a dreadfully cloudy early spring - my third night out in the last 2-3 weeks.  Was COLD (46 when I packed up) but I was well dressed.  While it was cold - the overall observing conditions were ABOVE average.  Not a cloud in the sky, no dew, still (no wind) an DRY.  Atmospheric "transparency" was above average and we don't get that all that often here.  

Got to test out some new gear.  

T/V Panoptic 2" 27mm and a vintage Parks (80's) 2" 50mm black top PL "smoothie" (Japan).

27 Pan is a wonderful EP - picture window into space - pin-point stars right to the edge.  Got both M81 and M82 very nicely in the same FOV (in my 8" Celestron F10 SCT) with excellent contrast and a nice dark background sky.  A very easy on the eye EP - considerably better (IMHO) than the T/V 1.25" 24mm Panoptic (which most agree is a top notch EP).  

Was unsure how the Parks 50mm would perform being quite dated.  However the views were excellent, crystal clear high contrast dark sky background and pin-point stars to the edge when viewing M44 - fit 'most' of 44 in the FOV.   Compares quite favorably with views from a 55mm T/V PL. 

I love open clusters, low power long FL, long eye relief EP's and both EP's "fill the bill".  Can't wait to view the "double cluster" in both. 

M13 and M92 both really nice last night as they are getting higher and higher above the horizon now and are perfectly placed for ez non neck breaking viewing.  Both took lots of power best views coming from my T/V 13mm (150x) and my T/V 11mm (180x) Delites.  

Can't wait for all my summer favs to come up.  Altair (the third star in the "summer triangle") had just risen as I was packing up when the moon came up at 11:30PM.  

Clear skies gents - get out and catch some photons!!!  

M11Mike 

• Procyon, deepwoods1, tchandler and 7 others like this

#2 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

• Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:09 AM

I've been out a couple of times at 4am to catch the late summer skies. Lots of my favs up by then, and the Milky Way is up high. Transparency and seeing haven't been optimal, though.

#3 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Mariner 2

• Loc: Delaware Valley

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:13 AM

Was out last night too, just testing some setup stuff. First genuinely clear sky since April 6th. Seeing wasn't tip top, but after the weeks-long drought, I took what I could get. Ursa Major was high in the sky, and Leo and Virgo were up in the south and southwest. 

More of this please.

Edited by Dana in Philly, 22 May 2019 - 08:15 AM.

#4 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:28 AM

We had clear skies.,but the conditions were kinda poor.,I had a 90min. window before the clouds returned.,

Last night was much better here.,better skies and the clouds held off till midnight.,I had a great time with my 102 on the Lx70 mount.,I poked around coma b mostly.,used a 13mm Nagler all night.,a very comfy set up.,

#5 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:55 AM

I'd go with "kinda improving"!  tongue2.gif 

On Tuesday night I did get a chance to do some imaging (supernovae in M-100 and NGC-5353) with Kopernik Observatory's 20-inch RC Cass (Vestal, NY -- Southern Tier -- 50 yards North of the PA border) -- and a friend used the observatory's C-14 EdgeHD for visual. While the seeing was 'good' (for us) there was a pall of high cloud that reduced transparency -- and then the moon came up.

The forecasts for next week's Cherry Springs Star Party currently include one clear night among the endless clouds, showers, and boomers for the rest of the 3 to 5 days/nights. Of course Weather Channel and AccuWeather disagree on which night will be clear. An optimist would pick the clear night from each - and plan on two clear nights. A pessimist would pick the cloudy night from each -- and leave their telescopes home!  wink.gif  

• Procyon likes this

#6 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:38 PM

Cloudzilla laughs at the Weatherman.....

#7 vdog

vdog

Apollo

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:30 AM

3-day weekend of unsettled weather (and widely-varying forecasts) coming, but there are bound to be some observing windows in there somewhere. 

All I can do is watch the skies and have my gear ready to go.  The vigil begins tonight.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics