•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M33 - Getting Better at PixInsight

astrophotography beginner CMOS imaging
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BetaDraconis

BetaDraconis

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:39 AM

Hi all!

I wanted to share an image of M33, the Triangulum Galaxy, that I recently finished (re)processing in PixInsight:

M33 Reprocessed

Compared to my first attempt back in January:
M33 Triangulum Galaxy

Interesting that I have more nebulosity in the January image (not sure where I lost it in the process) though I'm much more happier with the colors of the recent image.

I think in the past I was over-processing my images and decided to take a simpler route and was recently inspired by an Star Stuff Stuff video on workflow. I basically ended up with this:

Calibration > Master L R G B files
AutoHistogram
ABE
ColorCombo (RGB)
BackgroundNeut
PCC
SCNR
HistogramTransformation
CurvesTransformation
LRGBCombo (here I had to back off on the L channel as it was coming in too strong)
HistogramTransformation
MorphologicalTransformation
CloneStamp (minor touch up)
LocalHistogramEQ
CurvesTransformation (w/ mask)
ColorSaturation (w/ mask)
Resample (for upload to CN)
MultisclaeLinearTransformation
Deconvolution (using the PSFImage script)
UnsharpMask

I'm really happy with how it came out compared to my first attempt. I think I could have done a little better with the star reduction and mask creation, something which I will aim for next time. Please, if any of you have any suggestions or comments on how I can improve on this, let me know. Full size image is located here.

Thanks!

• psandelle, mikewayne3, BenKolt and 3 others like this

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Soyuz

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:45 AM

The colours are much better in the new image, but I prefer the overall look of the galaxy in the old one. The new one has the black point too high (so the blacks are clipped).

• kathyastro likes this

#3 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:54 AM

The colours are much better in the new image, but I prefer the overall look of the galaxy in the old one. The new one has the black point too high (so the blacks are clipped).

^ What he said.

Combine the best traits of both, and you'd be good.

• elmiko and kathyastro like this

#4 BetaDraconis

BetaDraconis

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:54 AM

Something is definitely getting crushed when I upload to CN. This is a screen shot of PixInsight (left) and the CN Gallery image (right):

M33vM33

• elmiko, Astroman007, bobharmony and 2 others like this

#5 BetaDraconis

BetaDraconis

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:37 AM

I'm not sure why I'm unable to embed an AstroBin image via the 'Image' tag. confused1.gif

#6 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:48 AM

Yes, the old one showing like more details or nebulosity, the first is better color and DR i think

#7 44maurer

44maurer

Ranger 4

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:02 AM

^ What he said.

Combine the best traits of both, and you'd be good.

Ditto
  • Astroman007 likes this

#8 OldManSky

OldManSky

Apollo

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:26 AM

Something is definitely getting crushed when I upload to CN. This is a screen shot of PixInsight (left) and the CN Gallery image (right):

It's possibly the slam to sRGB color space.

I always open my "final" images (processed in AdobeRGB color space, which has a wider gamut than sRGB) in Photoshop, and use its "convert to profile" option.  I can see the change occur right on the screen.  I almost always have to lighten up the black point a bit after color space conversion to get them looking right. 

#9 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:32 AM

I'm not sure why I'm unable to embed an AstroBin image via the 'Image' tag. confused1.gif

You can go to Share on AB and select Forum for the format and then copy the link and paste it into your post so folks can click on that to view it in AstroBin.

• dswtan likes this

#10 vidrazor

vidrazor

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:10 PM

I made a hybrid image from the two in Photoshop, what do you folks think? smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• m33.jpg

• dswtan, glefebvre, kathyastro and 3 others like this

#11 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:07 AM

Very nice.  Much better than either original.

#12 BetaDraconis

BetaDraconis

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:48 AM

I made a hybrid image from the two in Photoshop, what do you folks think? smile.gif

Holy smokes that looks great!

#13 kathyastro

kathyastro

Ranger 4

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:13 AM

Oh, yeah, that's a keeper!

#14 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:56 AM

Perfect! And beautiful of course.

#15 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Skylab

• -----

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:20 PM

Yes, it is enhanced now, great job!

#16 BetaDraconis

BetaDraconis

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:48 PM

Okay, after some help from pfile on the PixInsight forums I was able to get some results I was much happier with. Turns out that LocalNormalization was just wrecking my R and especially G and B gradients. Here's my most recent version:

get.jpg?insecure

• bobzeq25 and vidrazor like this

#17 44maurer

44maurer

Ranger 4

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:32 AM

Much, much better. A little too purple for me tho.

#18 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Skylab

• -----

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:49 PM

Yes, too purple for me too, so i can't say it is much better now, but definitely as exposure or DR it is better than first one, i still prefer the previous one you did before this one after your OP images.

I looked at another M33 images that i like, i feel like you missed one filter, i mean if it is too green or too purple or too yellow it means one filter is missing or one filter is not aligned properly with other filters, RGB filters should give you balanced colors somehow, upload your RGB stacked files, i don't know how to add L, so i will just play with RGB, FIT format will be great so i can use PixInsight.

#19 Ed D

Ed D

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:44 PM

Here is another option for dealing with the funky purple color.

Ed D

km3c13tdklrA_1824x0_8-C2ALJS.jpg

#20 BetaDraconis

BetaDraconis

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:15 PM

Made some adjustments, hopefully less purple to some but I'll probably revisit this in the future.

get.jpg?insecure

If you want to take a look at the LRGB masters, there are located on this Google Drive link.

#21 vidrazor

vidrazor

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:43 AM

Made some adjustments, hopefully less purple to some but I'll probably revisit this in the future.

get.jpg?insecure

If you want to take a look at the LRGB masters, there are located on this Google Drive link.

There isn't much of a difference between them, as you can see below. Are you satisfied with the color however? Personally I thought your second color plate that I merged with your first one seemed to have a better overall balance, at least for my own personal taste. If you're satisfied with this color, then you're done.

If not, have you tried processing the data in another program like Star Tools, etc.? Although I haven't worked with PI, it seems to be a fairly complex app that one can get lost in.

Attached Thumbnails

• m33 compare.jpg

#22 BetaDraconis

BetaDraconis

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:05 AM

There isn't much of a difference between them, as you can see below. Are you satisfied with the color however? Personally I thought your second color plate that I merged with your first one seemed to have a better overall balance, at least for my own personal taste. If you're satisfied with this color, then you're done.

If not, have you tried processing the data in another program like Star Tools, etc.? Although I haven't worked with PI, it seems to be a fairly complex app that one can get lost in.

I'm good for now, I wasn't looking for an APOD when I started working on this, just a better understanding of the processes and nuances of PixInsight. And, yes, one can get lost in it pretty quickly lol.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, CMOS, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics