•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RASA 8 Carrying Case?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Willygh

Willygh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Grants Pass, OR

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:42 AM

I just received a RASA 8, and yes, it has begun a two week run of clouds and rain since. Por mi culpa!  Anyooo, I have been looking around for a carrying case made for the RASA 8 with no luck. Celestron does not have such a case, and I do not prefer to carry it around in the shipping box. Has anyone with a RASA 8 solved this issue? Does anyone have thoughts about a solution?

-William

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:58 AM

Check out Amazon and search for "rolling duffel bags" or "canvas bag"

Get a slightly larger bag and add some 1" or 2" thick Polyethylene foam to protect the scope. Include a desiccant  (silica gel).

Why a fabric type bag?

Let the scope "breathe" to prevent MOLD & FUNGUS while keeping free of bugs..!!

• l_stoian79 and Traxx like this

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:22 AM

I like plastic tool boxes and homemade padding (careful that it doesn't introduce dust).  Dry climate, tho.

#4 Gregory2012

Gregory2012

Ranger 4

• Loc: Gig Harbor,WA.

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:09 PM

I just received a RASA 8, and yes, it has begun a two week run of clouds and rain since. Por mi culpa!  Anyooo, I have been looking around for a carrying case made for the RASA 8 with no luck. Celestron does not have such a case, and I do not prefer to carry it around in the shipping box. Has anyone with a RASA 8 solved this issue? Does anyone have thoughts about a solution?

-William

I have a nice case from Orion that would work no longer needed. Maybe they still sell this particular case? Gregory

#5 mega256

mega256

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:31 PM

This is what I use

CONTICO 3514NLBK 35"W Structural Foam, Black Portable Tool Box, Matte, 14"H

$48

https://www.ebay.com...872.m2749.l2649

It fits well,strong and has room for extras...

• Willygh likes this

#6 Willygh

Willygh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:04 AM

Orion's cases are very nice, but none really fit the RASA 8.

I like the option of the hard case with structural foam. mega256, do you have one of these and if so, is this for your RASA 8? I looked up the case on the manufacturer's website. Structural foam is the material the box is made out of. How do you pad the scope in the box? I was under the impression that there is cut-out foam to allow for a secure fit, but it appears that it is an empty box with no insulation or foam padding. What is your experience?

-William

Edited by Willygh, 23 May 2019 - 01:34 AM.

#7 Simon B

Simon B

Viking 1

• Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:36 AM

I use the Starguy case for my VMC200L : )  very nicely padded, has straps to hold down the OTA inside

https://www.mrstargu...ors-p/sgc10.htm

• psandelle and Willygh like this

#8 Splodger

Splodger

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:16 PM

Check out Amazon and search for "rolling duffel bags" or "canvas bag"

Get a slightly larger bag and add some 1" or 2" thick Polyethylene foam to protect the scope. Include a desiccant  (silica gel).

Why a fabric type bag?

Let the scope "breathe" to prevent MOLD & FUNGUS while keeping free of bugs..!!

What about the solution you gave me? Home Depot - Hard Toolbox $39 and Foam Rubber sheet $3.95. There must be bigger boxes out there that would do the trick.

Inexpensive Carry and storage solution for 150mm Cass 1
Album: Scope Box
2 images
0 comments

Edited by Splodger, 23 May 2019 - 12:57 PM.

#9 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:48 PM

For a RASA 8 I would guess one would need to find a tool box with an minimum internal length of 26".

Figure width x height of at least 11"  and with the RASA 8 weight of 17+ lbs, that tool box might be a bit hard to handle at a dark site.

I prefer an insulated rolling duffel bag with wheels in case I have one of those "senior moments" lol.gif

• Splodger likes this

#10 Willygh

Willygh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:51 AM

I use the Starguy case for my VMC200L : )  very nicely padded, has straps to hold down the OTA inside

https://www.mrstargu...ors-p/sgc10.htm

This appears to be the best option so far! Thanks for the idea.

-William

• psandelle likes this

#11 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:21 AM

The Celestron web site says the RASA 8 is 26" in length...true?

If so, the Starguy case dimensions are shown as: 22.8 x 11 x 11.8

confused1.gif

#12 Simon B

Simon B

Viking 1

• Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:51 AM

The Celestron web site says the RASA 8 is 26" in length...true?

If so, the Starguy case dimensions are shown as: 22.8 x 11 x 11.8

confused1.gif

Sorry, you are right - the RASA 8 will not fit!  Didn't realize it was that long, I thought it was similar to the C8 in size

#13 shawnharv

shawnharv

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 June 2019 - 12:10 PM

This could be a good option for the RASA8. https://www.amazon.c...duct/B00HVCPT4W

I've just bought one and ill tell you how well it fits. The length is 28 inches, so it should work. 

#14 cturek

cturek

Explorer 1

• Loc: OFallon, MO USA

Posted 09 June 2019 - 12:50 PM

This is what I did for my 6" GSO Classical Cassegrain. Roadcasesusa.com has a section on their webpage where they will make you a case for 99.00 plus shipping as long as the length, width and depth to not add to over 100 inches. The case is really well constructed. You make your order over the phone telling them how you would like it constructed. I just told them the internal dimensions I needed. I opted for a removable top in lieu of hinged. It's carpet lined and it has flush latches. I know it's a little more than the tool box options, but this case will last a very long time. 

For now, I just cut sections of the shipping foam that the scope came in to support it inside the box. I can always cut some Kaizen foam for a more durable support solution.

Attached Thumbnails

• file2-8.jpeg
  • file1-12.jpeg
  • file-24.jpeg

Edited by cturek, 09 June 2019 - 12:53 PM.

• psandelle and terraclarke like this

#15 HxPI

HxPI

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia Beach, VA

Posted 09 June 2019 - 02:27 PM

This is what I did for my 6" GSO Classical Cassegrain. Roadcasesusa.com has a section on their webpage where they will make you a case for 99.00 plus shipping as long as the length, width and depth to not add to over 100 inches. The case is really well constructed. You make your order over the phone telling them how you would like it constructed. I just told them the internal dimensions I needed. I opted for a removable top in lieu of hinged. It's carpet lined and it has flush latches. I know it's a little more than the tool box options, but this case will last a very long time. 

For now, I just cut sections of the shipping foam that the scope came in to support it inside the box. I can always cut some Kaizen foam for a more durable support solution.

This looks like a nice case. I’d like one for my C9.25 EdgeHD. The website doesn’t show a custom section with $99.00 cases. The only custom case section I could find has cost start at $200.00! Might still be worth it. Thanks for sharing.

Ciao,

Mel

Edited by HxPI, 09 June 2019 - 02:28 PM.

#16 cturek

cturek

Explorer 1

• Loc: OFallon, MO USA

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:24 PM

Try here:

https://www.roadcase...r-custom-cases/

Carl

• HxPI likes this

#17 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:49 PM

I've done both Roadcases and StarGuy (a little on the expensive side, and too small for the RASA, but I love them: worked well for my RH200, among others). The Roadcases got a little heavy for me (strictly mobile), but they sure stored well.

Paul

#18 HxPI

HxPI

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia Beach, VA

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:04 AM

Thank you.

#19 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Apollo

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:33 AM

The defactor DIY storage for 8" SCTs has long been the standard footlocker.  Typically they are 30" long and wide/deep enough to accomodate the telescope with decent padding.   While padded cases are nice they typically require more delicate handling when loading for trips in the car.  A hardcase, while heavier can be loaded without worry about things being placed on top.   If you're creative you could even add legs to a trunk and make it a mini-table.  

https://www.target.c...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics