•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lunar Phase Project

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:13 AM

As I have mentioned in some prior posts, I am on a multi-year project to capture as many lunar phases as reasonably possible at high resolution.  The solar eclipse will be the one exception where I was limited to a 600mm effective focal length telephoto lens and I didn't even have my 8" EdgeHD at that time.  Regardless, I wouldn't have imaged the solar eclipse with the 8" scope anyway, but I have included it on my lunar phase project.

All other images were taken with the 8" scope.  The best estimated crater resolutions are included for each moon panorama, as well as the percent resolution captured relative to theoretical limits based upon an 8" scope, which is about 1.0 km.  There are a number of lunar phases I have yet to capture due to cloudy or very poor seeing conditions, either of which is quite common here (more poor seeing than necessarily clouds).

In perhaps 2-3 years I can fill this out with respectable images.

Lunar-Phases-to-19-5-22.jpg

• jeremiah2229, Lacaille, Astroman007 and 2 others like this

#2 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:41 PM

That's a nice start, Steve, and the Moons that you have so far look good.  Personally, I think a minimalist approach to the labeling makes more sense, leaving it as just the Day #.  The resolution is subjective, and the % Max resolution even more so, especially since those numbers don't mean anything to most viewers (and what does 100% even mean.....it's almost always possible to have a sharper, cleaner image, even if crater resolution remains unchanged), and the images are not presented at full scale.  But I can understand the usefulness of the labeling from your own personal bookkeeping standpoint.  

• Lacaille and aeroman4907 like this

#3 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

That's a nice start, Steve, and the Moons that you have so far look good.  Personally, I think a minimalist approach to the labeling makes more sense, leaving it as just the Day #.  The resolution is subjective, and the % Max resolution even more so, especially since those numbers don't mean anything to most viewers (and what does 100% even mean.....it's almost always possible to have a sharper, cleaner image, even if crater resolution remains unchanged), and the images are not presented at full scale.  But I can understand the usefulness of the labeling from your own personal bookkeeping standpoint.  

Hi Tom, yes, the figures are a bit arbitrary and mostly for my own record keeping, but I thought it interesting to list nonetheless for noting the challenge of imaging to a scope's limitation, particularly for scopes above 6".  Even images limited to 1.4 km crater resolves look quite impressive and large with a whole moon mosaic.

#4 Dann-Oh

Dann-Oh

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:48 PM

This looks cool. I have been thinking of doing a moon phase pano. but man that will be a long project.  

• aeroman4907 likes this

#5 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Skylab

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:18 PM

Cool idea!

• aeroman4907 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics