•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for info about old Meade spotter scope

Meade catadioptric
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 msuhovec

msuhovec

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:02 PM

I fond an Old Meade Spotter scope at a garage sale this weekend. Here are a few pics

http://suhovecky.net/IMG-0803.jpg

http://suhovecky.net/IMG-0804.jpg

http://suhovecky.net/IMG-0805.jpg

http://suhovecky.net/IMG-0806.jpg

It is 90mm aperture, and focuses by turning the scope barrel, like a big telephoto lens.

I have no accessories- the screw adaptor on the back looks to be a 1.25", but it has a metal insert in it to accept a smaller eyepiece- .965?

Ideally, I'd like to find an adptor that woul let me use this with 1.25" equipment

Anybody have an idea what this is, and if it is possible to do whta I wish to do with it?

Thanks,

Mark

#2 vicg

vicg

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:06 PM

What would you wish to do with it?

#3 msuhovec

msuhovec

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:18 PM

I would like to mount it on a tripod, and use it with my existing 1.25 eyepieces (I think that this will require some sort of adaptor).

I'd use it for quick astronomical viewing, maybe terrestrial as well.

Mark

#4 vicg

vicg

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:22 PM

the base should fit straight to a standard manfroto style tripod. I have a similar 90mm Mak from Meade that I have done just that. The scope should give you nice views for daytime and Moon and Planets..Although I\m not a fan of the focuser style which introduces alot of shaking into the mix. 

#5 msuhovec

msuhovec

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:40 PM

Does yours take 1.25" eyepieces? this looks like it was set up  to use a smaller eyepiece.

#6 vicg

vicg

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:44 PM

Does yours take 1.25" eyepieces? this looks like it was set up  to use a smaller eyepiece.

Yes mine uses 1.25" eyepieces. If it's an Older model it probably came with the standard at the time .965" diagonal. you can look online for a converter.  can you take a pic of the rear Optical port?

Edited by vicg, 22 May 2019 - 12:46 PM.

#7 andycknight

andycknight

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:54 PM

Hard to tell, but it looks like a m42x1mm thread on the back... (looks too course to me for a T2 or M42x.75)

A few questions...

1. Does the rear thread measure 42mm?

2. Does this thread on the back unscrew, revealing a finer M42x0.75 thread?

3. Does the focus control go past the infinity mark?

Being a mirror lens and if the thread is for direct connection to a camera, the problems are going to be :-

1. Getting focus with a star diagonal attached.

2. Adapting (if its a M42x1mm thread) with the even shorter backfocus.

You can get adaptors (for either thread) to 1.25" that will focus "straight through", but unless it focuses past the infinity mark it will be difficult to use a 1.25" star diagonal.

One possibility would be to use a Barlow modified to fit inside the diagonal nosepiece, but this has the disadvantage of increasing the focal ratio. (which can be handy for the Moon/Planets, but not so good for wide field)

Another possibility is that a 0.965" diagonal has less backfocus and might come to focus without modification.

If you have diagonals and eyepieces to try out, then best bet is to simply offer them up to the back and see what focuses and what doesn't.

Edit: - I've just seen some pictures of them online and read a post above -  It appears they did come with a diagonal and eyepieces - so the chances it will focus are looking good!

I adapted my Vivitar 500mm F8 mirror lens, (62mm aperture) to make a miniature ultra portable scope :-

gallery_135796_6581_47258.jpg

This is a T2 mount designed to couple directly to a camera via T adapter. The backfocus was therefore very limited. To get it to focus I had to modify both the diagonal and the mirror lens.

The diagonal had the nosepiece removed and a T2 to M39mm stepping ring was 'melted' grin.gif into the plastic housing. Also note I used a Prism diagonal, as the backfocus required is less than a mirror type.

I then had to modify the focus assembly (by filing away some metal) to allow the focus to go past infinity (i.e. screw in further).

Regards

Andy.

Edited by andycknight, 22 May 2019 - 01:21 PM.

#8 Boom

Boom

Mariner 2

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:07 PM

You bought a Meade 97D.   

It's been a while since I've played with one, but I recall the rear port accepts a .965" diagonal.  You could try unscrewing the threaded insert and see if the dimensions take 1.25".

#9 mdbradshaw

mdbradshaw

Sputnik

• Loc: Houston, TX

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:05 PM

Meade 97E or 97D, one was "terrestrial".  The diagonal is .965".  The threads on the back are ETX threads, so you can put any ETX accessories on it (diagonal, visual back, t-mount, SCT thread converter, etc). 

I know this because I have one laying around, and it has an ETX to SCT adapter ring on it. 

Threads I've read state that it's only a good scope if you paid...well, not very much for it :)

#10 msuhovec

msuhovec

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:49 PM

Wow- thanks for all of the replies!

Fear not- I paid 5 USD for it. 

The consensus looks to be a negative for astronomy use. If I can find an adaptor for the back that will let me use 1.25" eyepieces, I may still give it a try.

Thanks again,

Mark

#11 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:03 PM

For $5 you've got to try it.  Good find, maybe you could find a t-mount and use it with your camera.

Jaimo!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meade, catadioptric

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics