•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Equatorial mystery

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RyanD

RyanD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:14 PM

I bought a used celestron c8 with equatorial mount and it has the gears on the ra,dec and an astro master box run off a 9v with 2 motors that have gears on them but thats about it. The rest was liquid nails and wood. Is there a part or parts I could purchase to make this work properly?

#2 RyanD

RyanD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:17 PM

Id post a pic but I have no idea how to do that. I'm not very tech savvy. So please explain as though you would to a small child.

#3 Taosmath

Taosmath

Viking 1

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:23 PM

Take a picture with your cell phone or camera.  Load it onto your computer and make sure the picture is less than 500kb in size.  If your file is smaller than 500KB, then jump down to the  paragraph below starting with "Now go back to cloudy nights...."

If it's larger than 500Kb open it in Preview (if you use a Mac - don't know how to do it on a Windows system) and under "Tools" on the menu bar click "adjust size.". Click the buttons that say "scale proportionally" & "resample image".  Above these buttons there are two numbers "width" and "height". Look at the number in "width and divide it by 2. Type that number into the width box. At the bottom is a box that says "resulting size".  If this number is 400KB or less, you're done. If it's 1MB or more, enter a new width which is half the last number you entered.  If the number is less than 1MB, type in a number for width which is 2/3 of the current number.  Keep doing this until the number in resulting size is 400KB or less, then save the file as a jpeg file (the file name will be something.jpg.  It's the .jpg bit you are looking for)

Now go back to cloudy nights. Click the "post" & "more reply options" buttons.

Then click the "choose file" button and select your saved file, then click the "attach this file" button.  The write any text you want in your post, then click "add to post" which is to the right of the tiny image picture you just downloaded and then  click green "add Reply" you're done.

If you use a windows PC, someone else has to help.

Edited by Taosmath, 22 May 2019 - 01:25 PM.

• SteveG, GlenM, happylimpet and 1 other like this

#4 RyanD

RyanD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:43 PM

I don't own a computer. I have a smartphone and I see no option to post a pic.
  • Spoonsize and NorthernlatAK like this

#5 RyanD

RyanD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:02 PM

20190522_140120.jpg

• happylimpet and telesonic like this

#6 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:14 PM

Your mount resembles the Vixen Super Polaris, and if that is what it is, then most of what you need to know about how to put it together will be in this manual on pages 17 and 18:

https://www.manualsl...?page=18#manual

Now even if you don't have a Vixen Super Polaris, just about every similar mount will have almost exactly the same steps.

SP is a very nice mount.  I hope you are successful in getting it working.

If you have difficulty, I suggest that you post in the "Mounts" forum on CN.  I realize that you may be a beginner, but for this, having a bunch of other beginners is not going to help much.  There will be more people with more experience with this that will be reading the Mounts forum, so again, if you have trouble, I recommend posting for help there.

But start with the Owner's Manual.  I has pretty much complete install instructions. 

• SteveG, happylimpet, telesonic and 1 other like this

#7 The Ardent

The Ardent

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:09 PM

Bring it over one evening and we can see what’s going on.

I bought a used celestron c8 with equatorial mount and it has the gears on the ra,dec and an astro master box run off a 9v with 2 motors that have gears on them but thats about it. The rest was liquid nails and wood. Is there a part or parts I could purchase to make this work properly?

#8 RyanD

RyanD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for the help Eddgie. I believe you are correct with your identification. Unfortunately I have none of those peices so I will take this to the mount thread.
The Ardent, love to. What's your 20?

#9 The Ardent

The Ardent

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:43 PM

I’m near Westchester Commons at Rt 60 and 288.

#10 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:52 PM

Take a picture with your cell phone or camera.  Load it onto your computer and make sure the picture is less than 500kb in size.  If your file is smaller than 500KB, then jump down to the  paragraph below starting with "Now go back to cloudy nights...."

If it's larger than 500Kb open it in Preview (if you use a Mac - don't know how to do it on a Windows system) and under "Tools" on the menu bar click "adjust size.". Click the buttons that say "scale proportionally" & "resample image".  Above these buttons there are two numbers "width" and "height". Look at the number in "width and divide it by 2. Type that number into the width box. At the bottom is a box that says "resulting size".  If this number is 400KB or less, you're done. If it's 1MB or more, enter a new width which is half the last number you entered.  If the number is less than 1MB, type in a number for width which is 2/3 of the current number.  Keep doing this until the number in resulting size is 400KB or less, then save the file as a jpeg file (the file name will be something.jpg.  It's the .jpg bit you are looking for)

Now go back to cloudy nights. Click the "post" & "more reply options" buttons.

Then click the "choose file" button and select your saved file, then click the "attach this file" button.  The write any text you want in your post, then click "add to post" which is to the right of the tiny image picture you just downloaded and then  click green "add Reply" you're done.

If you use a windows PC, someone else has to help.

Very well said. May I add that, instead of your explanation about how to make it smaller, just go back to the cell phone, and send it. This time send "small" version. That generally should do it. 

Alex

#11 RyanD

RyanD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:53 PM

Ill take a rain check. I was just down in Shreveport. Had to fly north to WI. It was getting hot down there. I'm not a tropical creature. Picked up a apertura ad8 off your areas craigslist though.

#12 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:02 AM

Add your location to your profile, someone may be around whereever you are and/or people could off a club relevant to you.

https://www.go-astro...club-search.htm

#13 Starman27

Starman27

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:41 AM

Moving to mounts.

#14 telesonic

telesonic

Mariner 2

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:20 PM

Howdy Ryan

Here are some pictures of my Super Polaris, which also has DSC's and dual drives. 

If you click on the picture, or check my gallery here... there is more information included with the image description.

For the Astromaster Digital Setting Circles - you should have four white plastic gears, two encoders (and the two L brackets to attach them to the mount) plus the cable that goes from the encoders to the DSC box. One end will look like a telephone or internet plug (RJ series) and that will V off two leads, one for each encoder.

(they do matter which one goes where, but don't worry about that just yet) 

Here is how the RA axis is attached:

Vixen SP DSC mounting (RA Axis)

Here is how the DEC axis is attached:

Vixen SP DSC mounting (DEC Axis)

If your mount has motors, you should also have a hand controller with one or two cables (most likely 5 pin) that will plug into the motors, and a power supply for the handbox. There are also a few brass gears, and a clutch to complete the motor drivetrain. The motor and gears /etc. should look like this:

Vixen Super Polaris gears

Does that sound like all of the parts you have with your mount?

T

• zjc26138 likes this

#15 RyanD

RyanD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:29 AM

Thanks! That is very helpful! It looks like I have the same drive motors. I have a black box with two cables exiting it that plug into the motors but it seems I am missing the mounting brackets. It looks like your ra bracket is mounted with double sided sticky and the dec is an L bracket that is bolted. I appreciate your response it has been most helpful!

#16 telesonic

telesonic

Mariner 2

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:53 PM

Ryan,

No problem, just trying to help you get it sorted.

I might not have been too clear on my earlier post.... my last photo shows what the motor gearing looks like. My apologies.

If you are referring to things the white plastic gears on the RA/DEC attached to - those are not the motors unfortunately, they are just encoders and do not function to move the mount. All they do is basically tell the astromaster box what position the mount is in, if that makes sense.

When I get in this evening, I will post a picture of the motor and its mounting.

Best,

T

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics