•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for Feedback on Orion Skyview Pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bigroo1958

bigroo1958

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cedar Creek, Texas

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:28 PM

Hi all,

I am looking for feedback on this Telescope for Astrophotography.

I am looking to purchasing the Orion SkyView Pro 8 GoTo Reflector Telescope for astrophotography, I am looking for pros and cons.

This will be my first telescope. I am wanting to know what other accessories I will need to purchase to get me going. I know I will need the camera adaptor for a Canon, but what other suggestions will others make?

Thanks

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Skylab

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:24 PM

bigroo1958,

Welcome to CloudyNights.  I am not a photographer, but I'm sure others will chime in who are.  I think you'll find the 8" f/5 Newtonian undermounted on the SkyView Pro.  For a few hundred more you could buy the SkyView Pro go-to mount and an Orion ED 80 f/7.7 refractor that I think would be a better combination.  Another option with Orion is the Sirius mount/ ED80 refractor package ($1500).  The Sirius is an altogether better mount that the SkyView Pro (I've owned and used both for visual observing), so you may have better luck learning photography with it.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#3 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:14 AM

Also, I owned one of those mounts for years. Any high power observations revealed the pulses in the pulse motors. Very annoying.
And that was with the light load of a 127 Maksutov.

#4 macdonjh

macdonjh

Skylab

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:33 AM

Also, I owned one of those mounts for years. Any high power observations revealed the pulses in the pulse motors. Very annoying.

Interesting.  That exact problem happened to me, but not until my driveway scope topped twenty pounds.  I thought it was interesting (and frustrating) that the cogging became visible as soon as I exceeded my mount's rated capacity- by one pound.  That's when I sold my SVP and bought my Sirius.

#5 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:20 AM

That is a common problem with mounts that have stepper motors.   One would think that would be a good reason not to use stepper motors, but a lot of mounts do.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#6 bigroo1958

bigroo1958

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cedar Creek, Texas

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:31 AM

Thank you to all who have stopped by my thread and thanks to those who chimed in.
I took a look at the Sirius mount/ ED80 refractor which macdonjh suggested would be a better option for astrophotography. It does look pretty good and more money, I am wondering if it would be too much scope/mount for my first telescope, but I do want something that will last for a while until I save up enough to upgrade to something else.
I am using a Canon 400d at present which I believe would be enough to get me going. Does anyone have a suggestion on a better camera?
Thanks

#7 macdonjh

macdonjh

Skylab

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:07 PM

Check the classifieds, there is a Sirius mount for sale for $575. The lowest price I have seen.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics