•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vertical banding ASI183C

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MikeF1960

MikeF1960

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:30 PM

I have a ZWO ASI183C pro cooled OSC.  Generally, I like this camera and for me anyway, there has been somewhat of a learning curve to navigate. I have made progress though.  

Anyway, I was doing some experimentation with this using an 8" f/4 Newt.  I am trying to improve star shape and color in my images so I thought I would try dropping the gain down to 0, which in the ASCOM software for this is a pre-set for highest dynamic range.  

In this experiment, I did 130 frames @30s each using gain of 0 with a sensor temperature of -15c.  I calibrated using 50 darks, 50 flats, and 500 bias frames. I processed this in DeepSkyStacker.

I was expecting a lot more noise than I get when I run at unity gain but this vertical banding took me completely by surprise.  I've never seen this before in any camera except a Nikon D700 that I've used in the past. 

The attached jpg has been reduced in size.  It is simply the TIFF opened in Pixinsight and autostretched and saved as a jpg.

Anybody have any insights into this?  I guess mainly, I want to determine if it may be a problem with the camera or just that this particular combination of exposure, gain, calibration, etc. is just not good with the ASI183C.

Thanks,

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• Image00001.jpg

#2 einarin

einarin

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:35 PM

https://www.cloudyni...-2#entry8237945

Edit: maybe you could try without bias as Jon suggests in that thread.

Edited by einarin, 22 May 2019 - 02:00 PM.

• MikeF1960 likes this

#3 OldManSky

OldManSky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:07 PM

It could be the banding Jon mentions in the article einarin linked to.  In that article, he mentions that banding is practically gone at gain 50+, and that gain 0 probably isn't a good idea.

But I also notice that your calibrated image still has amp glow on the left-hand side.

If you took matching darks, that shouldn't be there.  Amp glow on the 183 calibrates out nicely.

So what I'd suggest:  look at individual lights, darks, flats, and bias.  Stretch them aggressively.  See which (if any) has banding.  Make sure you're using matching exposure times/gains/offsets for your darks.

And let us know what you find.

• MikeF1960 likes this

#4 MikeF1960

MikeF1960

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:52 AM

Thank you OldManSky...

Yes, the amp glow is something I've figured out so that's not a problem.  Generally, I don't use bias frames with the 183 and the amp glow then is solved.

I did some dark flats last night to see if that would make any difference and it did not.  On the darks, bias and dark flats, I can see this banding.  It is not apparent on the flat frames nor on any individual light frame.

I also re-stacked everything in PI to see if it could possibly be a DSS thing but I ended up with similar results.

I'm thinking this is simply a situation where this -0- gain setting is not right for this camera.  I'll likely go back and conduct the same experiment using a gain in between unity and HDR to see if I can meet my objective of improving star color and shape.

I appreciate that you took the time to respond...

CS,

Mike

#5 einarin

einarin

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:12 AM

Was it with cmos cameras - not to use bias and not to scale dark frames ?

https://www.cloudyni...as-dark-frames/

#6 OldManSky

OldManSky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

Good luck, Mike.

I haven't seen any banding on lights or calibration frames with my mono version of the camera...but then, I haven't tried gain 0, either, so that is indeed the likeliest suspect!

Let us know if it goes away with a higher gain, ok?

#7 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:06 PM

It could be the banding Jon mentions in the article einarin linked to.  In that article, he mentions that banding is practically gone at gain 50+, and that gain 0 probably isn't a good idea.

But I also notice that your calibrated image still has amp glow on the left-hand side.

If you took matching darks, that shouldn't be there.  Amp glow on the 183 calibrates out nicely.

So what I'd suggest:  look at individual lights, darks, flats, and bias.  Stretch them aggressively.  See which (if any) has banding.  Make sure you're using matching exposure times/gains/offsets for your darks.

And let us know what you find.

I have not encountered this kind of banding myself, to be honest. I have seen much finer banding, per-column, faint banding at lower gains, which is fairly normal with sensors that have per-column readout (and it usually disappears at higher gains). The problem shown in the OP seems to be an actual issue with the sensor readout...

#8 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:15 PM

Does the vertical banding issue occur in individual subs?

#9 MikeF1960

MikeF1960

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:25 PM

Hello Gentlemen,

I do not see the banding in individual subs.  But as you might imagine, part of my search for the root of the issue included stacking the data in a number of different ways to try to see if I can figure something out.  What I have found is that if I stack only the lights, I can see the banding and it is quite strong.

So I was wondering if perhaps my calibration frames were not adequately calibrating the banding out of the lights or if it was a peculiarity specific to this sensor and the -0- gain setting.  All of my calibration frames were carefully done and I did make sure everything matched with regard to exposure times, gain and temperature settings.

I do not have this issue at all when I do my work using unity (111) gain.  I was just sort of hoping that running certain types of imaging using a higher dynamic range gain setting might in result in better color and maybe better star shapes.  Using a f/4 instrument, I have the luxury of speed.

So I will try using a gain value of 53 as suggested and see what happens.  Otherwise, I think I am getting decent results with this camera using unity gain.  But we're always looking to improve, right?

Interestingly, when I had this problem with my Nikon D700 I investigated it on all the Nikon fora and what I gathered is that there are actually seams in the sensor that cause this, at least in that particular camera.  I don't know if that is actually true but a number of people mentioned that.

I am appreciative of all the folks that responded  to my questions.  I was sort of thinking it could be a common issue that would have a well-known solution.

So thank you Jon, OldManSky and Einarin for taking the time to consider my problem and your generosity in your responses!

CS,

Mike

• OldManSky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics