•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GPS Rollover Issue Addressed in AutoStar Updater 6.1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Steen

Bill Steen

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:48 PM

The GPS Problem with some older versions of Meade AutoStar has been fixed and updates are available. Here is the message I just received:

"I wanted to reach out and let you know that we have a solution for the GPS rollover issue.

All the information can be found on this page https://www.meade.com/support/ if you scroll down the page a bit you will see it. Would you mind passing along this information to anyone who has a question on the 4M?

If you have any questions, please do let me know! Thanks Bill!"

I tried the link and scrolled down to the bottom area of the page and all the information is there for the various versions of AutoStar. The new AutoStar Updater 6.1 is set up to download the software with the fixes for the various versions.

Thanks,

Bill Steen

• OleCuss likes this

#2 spames

spames

Explorer 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:44 PM

I used the new Autostar 6.1 updated and found it works very nicely.  All updated and GPS fixed.

Thanks 

#3 Bill Steen

Bill Steen

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:13 PM

The last update needed that I know about is for AutoStar III, which is the LS units.  It seems to be the older units with the problem as some of the people with newer units have reported that they work ok.  The update for the LS units affected is forthcoming.  Here is the information I received for circumventing the GPS process:

"The customer can enter the date/time/location manually by pressing the MODE key when the telescope starts looking for GPS. This will happen shortly after the telescope boots up and before any night sky alignment takes place. They can also turn off the search for GPS in the SETUP/PREFERENCES menu."

Hope this helps,

#4 Liquidwrench

Liquidwrench

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:39 AM

Hi there,

i just recently purchased a used LX200GPS EMC. After setting it up I discovered the GPS wasn’t functioning properly. I made several attempts to update the handbox from 1.0 to 4.2 without any success. I watched several Meade Mods videos on YouTube. One of the videos mentioned to the entry the Safe Mode by pressing 9999 on the handbox. while using Meade’s Autostar Updater. Once entering the the Safe Mode I was able to accomplish the update. 

#5 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:59 AM

Good news. I have a couple of Autostars that will need updating. I recently bought a used Lightswitch 8 ACF that included the v1.6a firmware. Since I am currently testing the scope I bypassed the GPS part of the setup and entered the time and date manually. No big deal, and everything else performed flawlessly.

Good to know.

#6 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:11 AM

The GPS Problem with some older versions of Meade AutoStar has been fixed and updates are available. Here is the message I just received:

"I wanted to reach out and let you know that we have a solution for the GPS rollover issue.

All the information can be found on this page https://www.meade.com/support/ if you scroll down the page a bit you will see it. Would you mind passing along this information to anyone who has a question on the 4M?

If you have any questions, please do let me know! Thanks Bill!"

I tried the link and scrolled down to the bottom area of the page and all the information is there for the various versions of AutoStar. The new AutoStar Updater 6.1 is set up to download the software with the fixes for the various versions.

Thanks,

Bill Steen

I Immediately downloaded AutoStar 6.1 when it became available and initially, if you logged on with a AudioStar, it wanted to download firmware A3S5, at present it downloads firmware A4S4 so the firmware version is not connected to the AutoStar version but to what Meade has made available. I have found no noticeable improvement with  AutoStar 6.1 over 6.0 : if you have a AudioStar controller you still cannot download tours and user data without some of it becoming corrupt! So beware, But downloading firmware seems to work ok.    

a

#7 RichardKnox

RichardKnox

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:35 PM

Hi there,

i just recently purchased a used LX200GPS EMC. After setting it up I discovered the GPS wasn’t functioning properly. I made several attempts to update the handbox from 1.0 to 4.2 without any success. I watched several Meade Mods videos on YouTube. One of the videos mentioned to the entry the Safe Mode by pressing 9999 on the handbox. while using Meade’s Autostar Updater. Once entering the the Safe Mode I was able to accomplish the update. 

I am having a similar issue with a used LX200GPS I recently purchased. My  gps says the date is 2099.  Even when I try to manually enter and bypass the gps the alignment tries to locate stars below the horizon.

Still on v3.01 but haven’t been able to successfully install updated firmware using Autostar Update version 6.1. Bought new 507 interface, new USB to RS232 adapter compatible with Win10 (and installed the driver). Recognizes my scope and firmware version, but when I initiate the actual upgrade tells me to check cable or try different port.

What is the 9999 safe mode?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics