•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen super Polaris perhaps?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RyanD

RyanD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:42 PM

Bought a used set up that came with motors and a celestron astro master box for guidance but the guy had it mounted with liquid nails and wood. Not sure what  I would need to make this thing operational again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

I'm a new astronomer and don't know a heck of a lot about these mounts.20190522_140120.jpg

• telesonic likes this

#2 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:44 PM

Yes it's definitely a Super Polaris.

It should work out of the box as an undriven mount. Getting the Astromaster working is another question entirely.

• telesonic likes this

#3 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:13 PM

It is. Best smaller mount made other than a Tak.

• telesonic likes this

#4 RyanD

RyanD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:01 PM

I can't find much about them. I was wondering if I could get the guidance going again. Any website suggestions on where to look for replacement parts or some way to make it work? I picked this up with a celestron c8 bought new in 1989. I got it last week and haven't seen a break in the clouds, except for sunlight hours, since. I've looked through it before though and it's nice for a beginner like myself.
My buddy bought it from the original owner as his first scope, had it for a week and sold it to me. I'm not sure the worth of any of it though. I paid less than $300 for it all and it seemed like a good deal to me.

#5 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:35 PM

Great mount. Silky smooth slow motions.

If you want to use it alt-az, just point the polar axis at the horizon.

An RA motor would give you tracking, probably could dig one up on eBay. But the slow motions on those mounts very good.

Don't know how anxious I would be to put GOTO on it. However, a DSC kit + Nexus 2 + SkySafari would make a very nice PushTo system.

• telesonic likes this

#6 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:01 PM

The Super Polaris has large and very nice setting circles (I have one).  I see no need to get the (ancient) DSC's working if you know how to work the setting circles.

That said.. if the encoders are still there, an Astrodevices Nexus plus your smart phone running SkySafari is probably the best option, but a Nexus would probably cost more than the entire Super Polaris.

#7 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:17 PM

That said.. if the encoders are still there, an Astrodevices Nexus plus your smart phone running SkySafari is probably the best option, but a Nexus would probably cost more than the entire Super Polaris.

If you have a smart phone or tablet, the computational capability of the Nexus is redundant. Just get the Nexus 2 at half the cost.  

#8 telesonic

telesonic

Mariner 2

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:54 AM

Ryan,

The Astromaster isn't necessary, these are generally known as Digital Setting Circles (DSC) but if all the parts are there and you are willing to try it out... it may work well for you if you have all the parts and pieces, but could be very frustrating if just starting out.

Keep in mind, it will not make that mount a Go-To but rather a Push-To system.

With a Go-To, the computer does most of the work- pointing to alignment stars etc. Then just push a button and the scope goes to the target.

With Push-To, you do most of the work - finding alignment stars.... etc. then manually move the scope by following arrows on the DSC Box to zero it out.

The DSC box has a few parts  - for these things like - encoders / brackets / gears... cables.. etc. It's a great setup if you take the time to figure it all out, and the SP is a great mount to start out with. I've been very happy with my similar rig with push-to and SkySafari. 

You probably have the older Celestron SP-C8, which sounds about right with the Celeston C8 SCT scope. Any chance you get some more pictures of what all you have?

Regards,

T

#9 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:18 AM

The SP mount came out around later 1984 until around 1994.

#10 Stephen Kennedy

Stephen Kennedy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:51 PM

I still have and use the Vixen Super Polaris GEM that I purchased in 1988 while stationed in Japan.  It has a single RA axis motor and works well with my GSO RC6.  Until recently Vixen sold as a set for this mount a kit containing one RA motor one DEC motor, one MD-5 controller and a battery pack.  The price was $400.  I do not see it on their website now.  Like Orly, I can also run mine on a single 9 volt battery but in the U.S. I think 9 volt batteries are so expensive that it is not economical.

These are exceptionally well made mounts and I do not think Vixen thought that when they built them in the 1980s, many would still be in service in 2019.  I think Vixen would rather have you buy a new model of one of the mounts they are currently producing.  I have no doubt that new Vixen mounts made in Japan retain the build quality of the SP but the prices of new Vixen GEMs, particularly with the Starbook 10, are very high but would still be worth it if you planned to use it for another 30+ years.  I purchased my SP when I was in my 30s and a  new mount that would keep running for decades made sense.  Now that I am in my 60s I am not sure I need a new mount that will probably keep running through the end of this century. 

• Astrojensen, jeffmac and telesonic like this

#11 RyanD

RyanD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:37 PM

Thank you all very much. You have been very helpful. I've been too busy playing with the dob to even get half a dozen veiws with the SP. I did recently get an instructional manual also but I'm leaning towards selling the mount and tripod for a different one.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics