•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PHD2 and NexRemote both want to use COM4.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iflyrctoday

iflyrctoday

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: East Tennessee

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:08 PM

I am not very good with computers and when I start thinking about Com Ports my head starts to hurt.  It all works by magic!

I am using a Celestron CGEM mount and PHD2 for tracking.  I would like to use the Celestron application "NexRemote" That would put a virtual hand controller on my computer screen.

PHD2 is connecting to the CGEM mount using "Celestron Telescope Driver (ASCOM)" using COM4 (the only option offered).  "NexRemote" uses PC port COM4. (The Only option offered).  I have a serial interface connecting a USB port to the bottom of the Hand Controller.  The Hand Controller is Connected to the Hand Controller port in the CGEM Mount.

Only one of the applications will talk to the mount at any  time.  If PHD2 is connected than NexRemote is refused access to COM4.  If NexRemote is connected than PHD2 is refused access to Com4.  To switch, PHD2 must be closed and then restarted; restarting the calibration process again.  (Not Good!)

Has anyone out there experienced this or know of a solution?

I can put very long connectors and move the hand controller between the computer and the mount (about 15 feet) but it would be much better if I could leave the hand Controller at the Mount and have the virtual Hand controller on the computer screen.

Thanks for any help 

Karl

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

Well, if these are both ASCOM, then connect them both to POTH (plain old telescope hub) and POTH to the hub. My memory must be bad as I thought you connected PHD to Nexremote but POTH should do the trick.

Rgrds-Ross

#3 spokeshave

spokeshave

Vanguard

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:24 PM

One the NexRemote startup screen there are two ports. The first - at the top - is the PC Port. This is the port that the mount is attached and NexRemote uses to communicate with the mount. The next port - at the bottom - is the Virtual Port. Here, you select from one of the open ports in the list and NexRemote creates a virtual port that any other software uses to connect to NexRemote. This is the port you tell PHD2 to use.

Tim

• rgsalinger and OldManSky like this

#4 iflyrctoday

iflyrctoday

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:44 PM

Ross & Tim

Thanks very much for the quick reply's.

Ross 

I'm not sure what you are suggesting.  My hand controller is the old style that has a 4-wire telephone connector in the bottom.  Without NexRemote running I moved the USB from the computer to the hub at the mount.  This changed the mount setup to COM3.  When I tried to connect PHD2 gave an error message "ASCOM driver problem during connection (ASCOM Utilities) the port COM4 does not exist."

I don't understand why PHD2 is still trying to connect to COM4.  If I move back to the computer, PHD2 connects like it should, but NexRemote fails again.

Tim

I do have Several options with the virtual Port.  

COM1 thru COM32 with the exception of COM4.

I selected Com1 and it worked.  PHD2 connected to the mount and appears to be working correctly.  NexRemote is also working correctly.

I am surprised that COM1 was available but then I know very little about how the devices, drivers, and COM Ports work.

I will try these settings.  Hopefully they will not cause a problem somewhere else.

Thanks again Toss and Tim for your help.  I really appreciate the support that I have received from you and the "Beginning and Intermediate Imaging"  Forum. It has made my road a lot easier the last couple years.

Thank You

Karl

#5 iflyrctoday

iflyrctoday

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:59 PM

Quick update.

I set up and tested the system this evening.  The sky was just about as good as it gets around here.  Wish that I did not have to get up early in the morning.

The NexRemote and PHD2 worked great using the information that Tim provided.  I was able to do the alignments in about half the time it had been taking me.  One unexpected benefit was that I had 2 slew options on the desktop at the same time.  I used one for a fast slew and the other for a more precise slow slew.  Finding targets was much faster and easier because I did not have to get up from the computer to go to the scope each time I needed to change something.

This was a very successful evening.

Thanks Tim

Karl

Edited by iflyrctoday, 22 May 2019 - 11:00 PM.

• rgsalinger, elmiko and spokeshave like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics