•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"Doing the same thing over & over...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 yock1960

yock1960

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: (Crossroad of clouds) Ohio, USA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:14 PM

...and expecting different results." Is credited to Albert Einstein as a definition of insanity, but, it could also be used in the context of imaging Jupiter anywhere near or north of, 39 degrees north latitude! I do liken it to a disease at times and I do know the cure, several in fact, but all involve a change in time or space...or both! This is 4 x 3 minutes in Winjupos, primarily to make a smoother image. I'm way, way out of my normal deconvolution parameters here, but seeing was rough and focus is...more by feel. I'll keep trying, as what other choice is there? Oh yeah, this was this morning, May 22, 2019.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• 2019-05-22-0536_8-L.jpg

• Sunspot, George Bailey, troyt and 11 others like this

#2 ToxMan

ToxMan

Skylab

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:27 PM

Or "Hope springs eternal..."

Gotta give you credit for trying...to my detriment, I have become a "seeing snob," and won't set up unless seeing is above average...the other extreme!

Good luck, Steve.

• yock1960 likes this

#3 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:29 PM

Nothing moving to FL or Australia wont fix...

• Tulloch likes this

#4 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:48 PM

'bout the only thing to do is count the days until Mars comes back. Not very satisfying, but at least it is something.

• yock1960 likes this

#5 Tulloch

Tulloch

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:04 PM

Good idea ngc7319_20, come down to Australia where Jupiter is peaking at about 75 degrees altitude down where I am, just in time for opposition smile.gif . Of course, it is winter at the moment but you wont see snow!

Edited by Tulloch, 23 May 2019 - 04:49 PM.

• ngc7319_20 likes this

#6 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Soyuz

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:54 AM

I hear you loud and clear, Steve. At least you're getting in a few imaging windows, albeit with relatively poor seeing.

Seems the only good (cloud-free, good transparency) windows I'm getting are on days I have to go into the office - like yesterday morning - too early to justify to myself getting out there for a few hours.

Oh well, the weekend's not supposed to be totally terrible, sky-wise....

• yock1960 likes this

#7 ToxMan

ToxMan

Skylab

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:01 AM

Our forecast the next few days is promising...I might finally get some images. It's only been since April 2018 since my last Jupiter images. I'm sure something will screw it up!lol.gif

• RedLionNJ and Foc like this

#8 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Explorer 1

• Loc: AZ

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:16 PM

Well, I used the Meade DSI IV for the first time last night. We had clear skies here in Glendale and the Moon was not out until around midnight. This is really my first time using a camera like this and since I never really needed accurate polar alignment, what I had done in the past, many months prior since I seldom get outside, was to roughly point the scope north and then a quick 2 star align. I used my Orion Atlas mount with the Meade 6inch Mak Cass. I also connected the hand controller to my laptop to use Stellarium. Much easier than using the hand controller.

So last night was my first time using an illuminated reticle eyepiece to attempt drift alignment. I picked up the Meade version at 9mm really cheap for about $35 and it works great. I am trying to avoid too much tech as I am just getting started with this and may eventually graduate to using PHD2 with a camera. Well, I got it just about right. It took some time since I did not have the scope pointed true north and I cannot see Polaris from my backyard.

As for the Meade DSI camera, I have plenty to learn. I'll need to play with the different settings and see what yields the best view. I was able to grab a few shots of Jupiter that I want to attempt to stack. I'll post those later. The view from the 20mm eyepiece was great but I need plenty of work with the camera and software settings. I have a sabbatical coming up so I will spend as many nights as I can learning.

One thought to improve my alignment is to take some 2x4 wood and plane it and form a square corner 'L' shape and add a tapered edge base that will fit on my mounts saddle. Then I'll see how close to Polaris I can get by leveling the mount, using the compass app to align to true north (setting phone on base arm of the L square), and then mount the smartphone on other side of the L so that the phone is pointed in same direction as my polar scope. Then start the SkyMap app, after proper calibration of course, and use the app to get a better alignment with Polaris. I expect that this will reduce the amount of time I will spend with the drift alignment process. I used the steps from Starizona site and they worked great for me so I just need a better starting point. I don't have an iPhone and don't care to own one so I can't access that free Polar alignment app that only exists for Apple.

Any suggestions for better apps to use for a good base polar alignment, when Polaris is not visible, are appreciated. Once I figure this camera and settings out I'll want to start some DSO astrophotography.

#9 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Explorer 1

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:28 AM

Your photo is actually quite nice. Here is the snapshot I took of Jupiter last night. I took it from the live video feed. I need to spend some time to learn the camera settings. I took this photo round 10pm if I recall so Jupiter was just above the SE, maybe 30 degrees I think.

Update: The other night I had the DSI camera connected directly to the visual back. So on the 4/3 cmos sensor, Jupiter was slightly larger than a small dot. So I took the image and cropped if down to around less than 200x200 pixel square to center Jupiter and then I upscaled the image in GIMP to what you see, about I think 900x900 pixels or around there. crazy.gif

Tonight I will try again but this time I will use my zero image shift focuser and I'll try eyepiece projection and try to get around >6x magnification. I am using a 150mm Mak Cass.

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter_PB_052319.jpg

Edited by Paul AZ, 25 May 2019 - 09:58 AM.

#10 ToxMan

ToxMan

Skylab

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:42 AM

It's the same thing, every year, transitioning from Spring to Summer, we are having temperature inversions. Radiating heat off the desert, upper cold air holding it and dust down close to the ground, creating a roiling soup above. Sometimes by 3am, it will dissipate. By the time opposition comes around, we are into our monsoon cycle, and storms spoil everything. Last year, May and June were a bust for getting Jupiter and Saturn. 

With these circumstances, these planets low on the ecliptic, I'm about ready to quit trying...Steve, it does seem a little crazy.

Last night, I gave it a lot of thought, and will likely devote less time with the gas giants, focus on some inner planet work, and get ready for the transit of Mercury. I've been wanting to do a waning crescent mosaic...some solar imaging. Gotta say though, I am thoroughly enjoying the work coming out of the southern hemisphere! Keep 'em coming folks.

#11 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Red Centre, NT, Australia

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:05 PM

It's not a bad result. By no means representative of what a C9.5 can produce, but respectable nonetheless.

What I learned last year from 60+ imaging sessions under a screaming jetstream (72 m/s—that's 140 kts!) was that bad seeing isn't the death of an imaging session. Instead, it just sets the limit for the scaling of your final output. You might experiment with your deconvolution methods on a scaled down image—I can eek out more detail from your image, including some white ovals, if I scale it to 40% and use Smart Sharpen in Photoshop. At the very least, you can break the insanity cycle…

BQ

#12 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Explorer 1

Posted 26 May 2019 - 11:52 AM

Well tried again last night. This time I used a L shape wood frame I made to use to mount my phone to the saddle plate and used SkyMap app to get as closely aligned with Polaris as I can. I cannot see Polaris from my backyard unless I cut down a tree. It worked fine and had better 2 star alignment. I was able to see the various global clusters spot on as I slewed with Stellarium. I was very happy with the alignment.

So for the image I used:

1. Meade LX70 6 inch Mak Cass
  2. Meade auto focuser (My eyes just could not tell difference with the in/out movements to get best focus for Jupiter on the screen)
  3. Eyepiece projection with 26mm eyepiece and variable tube extended all the way. (Should have used a 10mm eyepiece)
    1. My wide field 1.25 eyepieces don't fit so had to stick with Plossl
  4. Meade DSI IV and the Skycapture software (took videos AVI format)
  5. Autostakkert to stack frames (Registax failed due to memory issues, I even reset the cores)
  6. GIMP to upscale by 2x since I did not use enough magnification

I still ended up with a cruddy out of focus image. The scope is collimated and I had clear skies but Jupiter is low on horizon. I am also going to hold off on planets, except the Moon, until they rise higher.

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupitor_2019-05-25_stack_upscale2x.jpg

#13 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Explorer 1

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:21 PM

Pic of my set up and phone support frame to use Skymap to gwt an initial polar alignment.

Attached Thumbnails

• PSX_20190526_101448.jpg
  • PSX_20190526_101247.jpg

#14 Jason H.

Jason H.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:51 PM

Sometimes squishing it and stomping on it helps?

resizedJupiter.jpg

Clear skies and good seeing!

Jason Higley

Edited by Jason H., 28 May 2019 - 10:14 PM.

• Paul AZ likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics