•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pentax 20X60 Mount

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 k5apl

k5apl

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:54 PM

I purchased my Pentax 20X60 binoculars last year, and really like them.  But I was pretty shaky holding them by hand.  Tried a 

monopole and resting my arms on solid surfaces so I could be more steady, but wanted something better.

Purchased a Desert Sky Astro DSV-1 mount and Manfrotto tripod in anticipation of acquiring a 92mm refractor in the future.  As the

mount was not being used, I decided to modify it to hold my binoculars.  I bought an extra dovetail bar($28) and the binocular stem

($3.50) (ebay) and a "L" Bracket from Lowe's ($5.30).  I had the hardware already.  

The "L" Bracket was trimmed to remove excess weight, and I attached it to the dovetail bar and also put a screw in the bar to keep it from falling to the ground if it came loose. Best balance was achieved by offsetting the "L" Bracket slightly.  The system works like a champ and it did not break my pocketbook.  By coincidence (?) the opposite side of the mount fits Olympic style weights.  I got the 2.5 lb weight from WalMart for about $3.00 and it counterbalances nicely.

The project took only an afternoon with hand tools, and works great for terrestrial.  Should be usable for astronomy too when the

objects are fairly near the horizon.  Maybe others can get some ideas for their set-ups.

• paulsky and astroneil like this

#2 k5apl

k5apl

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:03 PM

Photos of Binocular Mount.............had to resize them so they would fit.  Should have remembered to do it before I made the Post.

Attached Thumbnails

• Webp.net-resizeimage (33).jpg
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (32).jpg

#3 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:24 PM

Are the Desert Sky mounts still available? Do you have a link?

#4 k5apl

k5apl

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:53 PM

Yes, they are available in several configurations.  I got the "single" model with an extension.  He does good work but you have to be patient.....He told me that mine would be ready in one month but it turned out to be closer to three.  No problem for me because I like his work.

http://www.desertsky....com/DSV-1.html

Wes

• B 26354 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics