•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Other drives that work with the Meade LX70 mount?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Redbetter

Redbetter

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:03 PM

I am considering the Meade LX70.  However, the Meade LX70 dual drives have sold out and Highpoint couldn't answer the question.  Has anyone used another drive on this mount successfully?  If so, which one?  I am primarily interested in RA as I likely will not install the Dec (or just install to verify it works, then remove it.)

Thanks.

#2 John Rogers

John Rogers

Mariner 2

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:48 PM

Interesting.  I just purchased one of the mounts, but did not purchase the dual-drive system.  On their webpage that announces that the LX70 dual drive is no longer available, they provide a link to systems for two other mounts, but do not indicate if they are compatible:  https://www.highpoin...ual_axis_drives

I would be interested if someone could confirm one way or the other if the drives in the linked page are adaptable.

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:18 PM

It is my thinking that the Celestron CG-4 and the Meade LX-70 are the same mount.  The Orion AstroView shares a lot with the CG-4, whether the drives are compatible..I don't know.

Personally, I would not buy a dual axis drive for these mounts.  The stepper motors are painfully slow and a slow motion cable is handier.  

My recommendation would be to purchase a used CG-5 ASGT or something similar.  The GOTO drives have a wide variety of slewing rates and are more robust..  

Jon

#4 Jond105

Jond105

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Detroit

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:28 PM

The Skyview pro drive from Orion should work. The LX70 and Skyview pro seem to be the same, which is different from the CG4. CG4 drives wouldn’t fit. 

#5 Redbetter

Redbetter

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:31 PM

I want to be able to track and have something that should last a long time, without spending a lot.  I don't need GOTO, don't really want GOTO, and therefore really don't want to pay 2x the price for GOTO that will likely have a much shorter service life. 

The CG-4 works fine with the RA drive, I just want to be able to do the same with a 2nd mount.  The LX70 price is attractive, but pics I have seen side-by-side show a larger mount head for the LX-70.  I figure someone has tried a different RA motor on this mount at some point and will actually know what will work and what won't.  I'm leery of "should work" when nobody has actually tried to attach one.

#6 dmgriff

dmgriff

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 30 degrees latitude, USA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:05 AM

The LX70 is definitley a eq5 class mount. I consider it comparable to the old lxd55. Not as robust as a lxd75, but still a eq5 mount. My cg4 is a smaller mount than the lx70. 

I think the lx70 is comparable to the SW eq5. I have a SW single axis RA drive kit/controller purchased via a Canadian supplier awhile back. I do not plan to install it on the lx70, as the mount stays outside, covered, and I think some of the mounting/screws would eventually rust up. Some slomo Vixen knobs for RA and a floppy for DEC work for me at the moment.

Good viewing,

Dave

#7 mrsjeff

mrsjeff

Explorer 1

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:10 AM

Check out astroshop.eu—they have the Meade drivers at a good price, even with shipping (I got some and they were delivered within a week)
  • Redbetter and Gurdi like this

#8 John Rogers

John Rogers

Mariner 2

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:28 AM

Check out astroshop.eu—they have the Meade drivers at a good price, even with shipping (I got some and they were delivered within a week)

I'll say.  The LX70 dual-axis motor drive is $86 delivered to the US!  Thanks for the tip, I just ordered one.

• SteveG and mrsjeff like this

#9 Redbetter

Redbetter

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:34 PM

Thank you for that.  That made this mount purchase feasible and an incredible bargain.  Drive and all it is close to the same as the price of an alt az, but should be much more capable.

I will leave the topic open in case someone else tries another drive on this mount and finds it compatible (or incompatible.)

• mrsjeff likes this

#10 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:34 PM

My drives were shipped yesterday from the Meade Outlet store. Try them.

#11 Redbetter

Redbetter

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:40 AM

My drives were shipped yesterday from the Meade Outlet store. Try them.

Randy,

Thanks, but at $200, the same price as the whole mount, the resulting package is no longer much of a deal.  One can get the CG4 and its dual axis drive for approximately the same price by searching around--and that is still more than what I paid for those a few years ago.

The apparent closeout pricing  for the Meade drive at astroshop.eu is even lower than one might expect from typical discounting by dealers.  I was surprised by how low the shipping was as well.  I generally don't even consider European retailers because I figure the shipping will be high and I can usually get free shipping in the U.S.  But this has given me a different perspective on casting a wider net at times.

• mrsjeff likes this

#12 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:21 AM

Yep. I paid about $165.00 which I was satisfied to pay. Highpoint had a great price before they sold out. I’ve bought from UK and Euro suppliers before and never had a bad experience.

#13 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:26 AM

My GP seems to be the same as my LX70.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics