•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Have you sent scopes back to Stellarvue

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saratoga, CA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:47 PM

Vic at Stellarvue will do an evaluation/alignment on scopes (even those not in warranty) for $100. My understanding is that he will clean and align it. What was your experience in doing that? 

I'm having some comet like stars in the corner of my APS-C on an SV80S with the SFF6 flattner. Some of the other stars you can see the colors splitting apart. I'm wondering if I should send it back. 

• Live_Steam_Mad likes this

#2 Salty_snack

Salty_snack

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:56 PM

I’ve sent my Stellarvue telescope back to Vic while under warranty for similar issues. The first time they sent it back without checking their work and the issues, while reduced, still existed. So I had to send it back again at my cost both times. Stellarvue has had a brand new telescope for a total of 4 months to fix an issue which has persisted from the I opened the box.

Needless to say I’m a bit salty about this. Before paying anything I’d get a guarantee that they can fix it to your satisfaction and if they do not the return shipping and cost to work on the telescope again is covered by them.
  • Live_Steam_Mad, gnowellsct, ShaulaB and 2 others like this

#3 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:05 PM

I needed to send my SV80ST in for the $100 service.  Somehow the lens spacers(?) and subsequently collimation was out of alignment.  The stars made it look like pinched optics, and it the problem didn't appear until the weather got very cold.  I sent in the scope and had it back in about 3-4 weeks, now in perfect alignment.  The service is great.  The shipping...not so much.  I spent more on shipping both ways than the actual service.

#4 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:07 PM

wow thats disappointing for a company that seems to pride itself on having perfect scopes via a very detailed quality control process

• Paul G, peleuba, Live_Steam_Mad and 1 other like this

#5 Jeff Bennett

Jeff Bennett

Vostok 1

• Loc: Clayton, California

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:44 PM

I have sent several scopes to Stellarvue for cleaning and collimation, and in all cases the scope came back in excellent condition with the alignment and any other issues resolved. I will note that these were all scopes I bought used and they arrived with these issues. I will also note that I am strictly visual, so there were never any photographic accessories involved.

In one case (an SV115T), the scope was with SV for about six weeks, which I wasn’t that thrilled with. That was a number of years ago, and my sense is that SV is a lot better staffed to address these kind of issues now. In any case, the scope came back perfect.

In all of the other cases (two or three) the work was done in a week or two. The lenses were cleaned and aligned, and in at least one case some small parts that were missing were replaced.

While the shipping both ways adds up, the $100 charge for the service is a bargain IMO.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Bennett, 22 May 2019 - 07:45 PM.

#6 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:46 PM

I needed to send my SV80ST in for the $100 service.  Somehow the lens spacers(?) and subsequently collimation was out of alignment.  The stars made it look like pinched optics, and it the problem didn't appear until the weather got very cold.  I sent in the scope and had it back in about 3-4 weeks, now in perfect alignment.  The service is great.  The shipping...not so much.  I spent more on shipping both ways than the actual service.

That is pretty normal. Don't think you get free shipping from AP either.

#7 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:49 PM

That is pretty normal. Don't think you get free shipping from AP either.

Yeah I wasn't blaming SV or complaining against SV.  I agree that $100 for the service itself is a bargain.

#8 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:51 PM

I once had an SV110ED. I bought when I was looking for a scope in the 100-120mm range. I bought a Vixen 100ED and almost immediately found the SV110ED. Sold the Vixen without ever using it and then at almost the same time I had a local chance to get an SV115T (TMB) so bought that and sold the SV110ED without ever looking thru it. The buyer did not like it as much as I did due to dust and things so I had him send it to Vic on my dollar and I paid for the work. He liked it after that so I was happy with the work Stellarvue did although I never saw it myself.
  • m9x18 and josh3211 like this

#9 Steve D.

Steve D.

Apollo

• Loc: Woodstock, GA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:56 PM

My SV85S went back to the mothership for an upgraded focuser and the 30,000 light year service (cleaning and realignment).   Came back perfect.

• Scott99 likes this

#10 Salty_snack

Salty_snack

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:06 PM

wow thats disappointing for a company that seems to pride itself on having perfect scopes via a very detailed quality control process

I agree. I bought from Stellarvue because of the reputation and I have been nothing but disappointed. After the first warranty fix (for which I paid the shipping costs) I then paid for numerous extension tubes (because my spacing must be off), a tilt adapter (because my camera sensor must be tilted), and wasted a dozen or more clear nights trying to sort out what the heck was going on. Let’s not forget that this was about the time Alex stopped responding to my emails... leaving it at “send it back to us” (at my expense again, of course). Only after getting Vic involved was any progress made.

So yeah, more than a few hundred of dollars worth of shipping charges, spacers, and a tilt adapter for a telescope which hasn’t yet produced a single good image. Oh, and Alex claims that they star tested the telescope with a full frame canon DSLR of sorts. Of course those images were never provided to me.

Good luck!

Edited by Salty_snack, 22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM.

#11 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:41 PM

You pays your money and you takes your chances...

Not infrequently I see a poster praise a particular company because they were able to fix a telescope that was sent back to it during the warranty period.

I don't know why some people think it is acceptable to have to send a telescope back to correct a problem that should never have been there in the first place.

Buy a Takahashi and quit compromising. 

• Paul G, celestial_search, peleuba and 8 others like this

#12 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:01 PM

I'm the owner of a Stellarvue SVA130T, and I must say, it's one fine piece of equipment. Beautifully crafted. I've had it for about 3 months, and my only complaint is that Daylight Savings robbed me an hour out each night. It's the only scope I've owned that I couldn't find a single thing wrong with. Very impressed and proud customer here! Keep up the nice work Stellarvue waytogo.gif

stella.jpg

• Scott in NC, DeanS, Nippon and 4 others like this

#13 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:16 PM

I'm the owner of a Stellarvue SVA130T, and I must say, it's one fine piece of equipment. Beautifully crafted. I've had it for about 3 months, and my only complaint is that Daylight Savings robbed me an hour out each night. It's the only scope I've owned that I couldn't find a single thing wrong with. Very impressed and proud customer here! Keep up the nice work Stellarvue waytogo.gif

attachicon.gif stella.jpg

do you image? have you ever tested it out to the corners of a full frame sensor? 

im looking for something that can do nice sharp stars to the corner of a full frame sensor 

#14 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:16 PM

Mine is perfect a SVA130T.  I'm very happy with them. Two sides to every fence. I'd have no qualms about sending something to them.

• rkelley8493 likes this

#15 k5apl

k5apl

Apollo

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:50 AM

My good friend had a top-of-the-line SV scope a few years ago.  It had an optical problem.  I personally verified the

problem.  He sent it back twice, then sold it.  The SV response was "There is nothing wrong with it".  But, there was something wrong with it that they would not acknowledge.  He and I have not done business with SV since then, so I don't know their present response to problems.

• Live_Steam_Mad and gnowellsct like this

#16 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:13 PM

You pays your money and you takes your chances...

Not infrequently I see a poster praise a particular company because they were able to fix a telescope that was sent back to it during the warranty period.

I don't know why some people think it is acceptable to have to send a telescope back to correct a problem that should never have been there in the first place.

Buy a Takahashi and quit compromising. 

Come on now any brand can have issues. Sky 90s had collimation issues. A TSA 102 in a 4" shootout, one of two, was deemed defective while the other one was the best performing scope in the review. We all here about the scopes that have issues but not the mass quantity of scopes that are just fine out of the box.

• Jon Isaacs, jcj380 and Tyson M like this

#17 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:26 PM

Come on now any brand can have issues. Sky 90s had collimation issues. A TSA 102 in a 4" shootout, one of two, was deemed defective while the other one was the best performing scope in the review. We all here about the scopes that have issues but not the mass quantity of scopes that are just fine out of the box.

I'm not saying that anybody's problems are not real and I do expect excellent performance from premium products, but there's always selection bias - satisfied customers usually don't spend time or effort to praise things they're satisfied with.

• scadvice likes this

#18 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:01 PM

The  Stelarvue scopes I have owned I sold.  Never had to return them.  However, I do like their mounts and kept them.

#19 Johnathan Edwards

Johnathan Edwards

Sputnik

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:32 PM

I'm trying to figure out what the new SVX 125 exactly is - it seems to fall in the category between Access and Premier.  Does anyone know?

#20 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:34 PM

According to the web site:

"If you are looking for a highly accurate visual telescope in the five inch range, this is it. The optics in this instrument are hand figured to .98 - .996 Strehl with low spherical error (individual Zygo report included). These are the sharpest 125's made. This is the high Strehl version of the Access 125 mm doublet apo telescope optimized here at Stellarvue! The objective contains an apochromatic doublet using a combination of Hoya FCD100 and Lanthanum which will keep your image contrast high, and since every lens is aligned before shipment you can be sure that you’ll be getting color free visual performance... "

#21 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:53 PM

According to the web site:

"...and since every lens is aligned before shipment..."

I guess it's always easier for the optician to align it before shipment than to have to come to your house and align it after shipment.  Sorry, couldn't resist. roflmao.gif

• BRCoz, Live_Steam_Mad, m9x18 and 4 others like this

#22 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:54 PM

This is one of the reasons, not often discussed, about why it is that a certain redundancy in your gear is a good idea.  It means you can busy yourself with other things.    

--had a Losmandy Titan go back to Hollywood General Machining it was gone for about five months

--C8 OTA sent to Celestron, it was gone about two months

--AP900 sent back to Astro-physics twice, gone a few weeks each time, what was annoying was returning it the second time because issue was not fixed the first. (It's been terrific ever since.)

--Vixen 102 sent to Japan, total time gone about 6 weeks.  I figured that would be longer.

I am at an enviable point where I can take a "hit" to any one major system (mount, tripod/pier, OTA) and still remain active in the astro-world.    I am also aware that this would be very difficult to achieve for some people.  

But if you have the funds, and if you sort of plow in $1,000 to $2,000 a year into the hobby you well might, after a while you will have some system redundancy.  

So here's my piece of advice:  If you're moving to something brand new, don't sell the old until you have the new thing working the way you want.  And if you have something that works really, really well, and does everything you want it to do, then consider keeping it for the long haul. 

When I first got the AP900 I thought about ditching the G11 but was glad I didn't because the AP900 had to go back to the factory.  After it came back the second time I thought:  well let's just wait a while.  As a few months rolled into a year or two I realized that I didn't need the money and that, to my surprise, I continued to use the G11 quite often as my "light duty" mount while keeping the AP900 for the C14.  And thus was born my venture into system redundancy.  With a c8 and a c14, and several apos, I'm in business one way or another.  

As I said above, this is not within everyone's means, but I bring it up here because it really lowers your blood pressure quite a bit if the equipment out for repair isn't THE ONE AND ONLY and you're MISSING PRIME TIME SKY because it is away getting fixed.    You just sort of figure that rotating a piece of gear to a shop from time to time is part of the overall system of owning and operating scopes.

Greg N

• Jon Isaacs and T1R2 like this

#23 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:09 PM

attachicon.gif stella.jpg

Beautiful scope! :waytogo:

• rkelley8493 likes this

#24 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:09 PM

I agree Greg...I sold my little CEM25P and used the funds to upgrade to the CEM60. Now I wish I had kept the CEM25P also. I could have been imaging with both at the same time. So now I'm considering looking for another 25P.

Sorry, ran off topic here. 

#25 sydney

sydney

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:10 PM

I guess it's always easier for the optician to align it before shipment than to have to come to your house and align it after shipment.  Sorry, couldn't resist. roflmao.gif

Reminds me of college when I was at a bus station in England and a sign said “ear piercing while you wait.”  Seemed better than leaving my ear to pick up later.

• Scott in NC, Traveler, gnowellsct and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics