•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The first SharpStar 15028HNT in the US will be with me at Cherry Springs. What should be my first target?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Nashville, IN

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:47 PM

SSIA,

if you were me what would you image first with it? Full frame compatible with fully corrected 45mm field. 150mm, f2.8, 420mm fl.

Here is the scope in case you are wondering. They are looking for a US dealer for their lineup. 

http://www.sharpstar...F28HNT/239.html

Edited by ImNewHere, 22 May 2019 - 09:13 PM.

• psandelle and Ladyhawke like this

#2 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:10 PM

M8 and M20, same field. That’s what I’m doing with it when I get mine! Good luck!

Paul

• HydrogenAlpha, ghostboo and ImNewHere like this

#3 fewayne

fewayne

Viking 1

• Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:15 PM

My Chinese isn't up to it -- pray, dear Scott, O Thou Favored by Fortune, what optical configuration is the scope?

I guess I'd go for M13 to look at contrast and resolution, and maybe the Pelican to see how much chewy nebulosity that whacking great 2.8 can hoover up. Fair range of brightness to that object, so you can suss out how deep you can go.

Miss seeing your smiling avatar over at Pentax Astro forum, man. Although to be honest since I got a ZWO mono cam I've been kind of a lurker myself...

Edited by fewayne, 22 May 2019 - 10:17 PM.

• ghostboo likes this

#4 JP50515

JP50515

Viking 1

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:58 PM

How much are these and how do I get one?!
  • ghostboo likes this

#5 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:07 AM

What I want to know is where you will be camped so I can pay a visit and take a look :)

Ohh no, you're bringing clouds with that :(

SSIA,

if you were me what would you image first with it? Full frame compatible with fully corrected 45mm field. 150mm, f2.8, 420mm fl.

Here is the scope in case you are wondering. They are looking for a US dealer for their lineup. 

http://www.sharpstar...F28HNT/239.html

• MikeMiller and ghostboo like this

#6 HydrogenAlpha

HydrogenAlpha

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:33 AM

This would definitely be my next scope if I had the money. They cost about the same as a Tak E130D, but with an inch of aperture more and without the need to buy additional expensive adapters/accessories. This is for sure the most affordable hyperbolic astrograph around. 

I'd pick a large emission nebula as a first target for sure. A star cluster wouldn't do justice to the f/2.8

• ghostboo and ImNewHere like this

#7 JP50515

JP50515

Viking 1

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:29 PM

This would definitely be my next scope if I had the money. They cost about the same as a Tak E130D, but with an inch of aperture more and without the need to buy additional expensive adapters/accessories. This is for sure the most affordable hyperbolic astrograph around. 

I'd pick a large emission nebula as a first target for sure. A star cluster wouldn't do justice to the f/2.8

We meet again I see...lol.gif 

Yeah that's exactly why this just caught my eye. How do you know what they cost? And are they even available for purchase?

• ghostboo likes this

#8 HydrogenAlpha

HydrogenAlpha

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:37 PM

We meet again I see...lol.gif 

Yeah that's exactly why this just caught my eye. How do you know what they cost? And are they even available for purchase?

Hello again laugh.gif

I'm going based on the TS-rebranded version, which is essentially identical and from the same OEM (Kunming United Optics): https://www.teleskop...arbontubus.html

There is also an Italian distributor selling the sharpstar branded version, but I'm not sure if the list price includes VAT or is the export price: https://www.skypoint...EDeukfVs9kDQ7vk

There's a blog post online stating that the sharpstar version would retail for $1900 thereabout if you purchase it from them directly, which would make it slightly cheaper than the European prices, but I suppose that was subject to change at the time they posted it. 

Edited by HydrogenAlpha, 23 May 2019 - 12:46 PM.

• psandelle, ghostboo and ImNewHere like this

#9 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:27 PM

TS is actually getting some in in the next two weeks (I need the focuser measured for a focus motor from Rigel), and I always have great dealings with TS.

Paul

• HydrogenAlpha and ImNewHere like this

#10 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:26 PM

That is a "sharp" looking scope, haha.

• ImNewHere likes this

#11 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:36 PM

My Chinese isn't up to it -- pray, dear Scott, O Thou Favored by Fortune, what optical configuration is the scope?

I guess I'd go for M13 to look at contrast and resolution, and maybe the Pelican to see how much chewy nebulosity that whacking great 2.8 can hoover up. Fair range of brightness to that object, so you can suss out how deep you can go.

Miss seeing your smiling avatar over at Pentax Astro forum, man. Although to be honest since I got a ZWO mono cam I've been kind of a lurker myself...

http://www.sharpstar...150F28/240.html <-- that's the English version!

• MikeMiller likes this

#12 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:39 PM

How much are these and how do I get one?!

$1900 plus shipping. Contact SharpStar directly. I have one of the main people there as a FB friend and that's how I did it, but you can also email them. They are looking for a US dealer for their products. I'd hope that our hosts would be the ones to carry these!

Speaking of which, here's mine from last night before it was shipped:

Capture.JPG

• Stelios, psandelle, AstroGabe and 3 others like this

#13 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:41 PM

What I want to know is where you will be camped so I can pay a visit and take a look smile.gif

Ohh no, you're bringing clouds with that frown.gif

Me and a group of us have a huge cabin rented something like 8 miles from the park so we can do our imaging without pesky flashlights down OTAs. You would be welcome to stop by! I will also have a CEM40 with me as well.

• ghostboo likes this

#14 HydrogenAlpha

HydrogenAlpha

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:21 AM

Golly that is such a beautiful looking telescope...you're making me want one even more now lol.gif

• ghostboo likes this

#15 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:17 AM

Give in to your desire for one! I like how it is set up for perfect backspacing for a DSLR already.

#16 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:30 AM

Me and a group of us have a huge cabin rented something like 8 miles from the park so we can do our imaging without pesky flashlights down OTAs. You would be welcome to stop by! I will also have a CEM40 with me as well.

That sounds like a wonderful alternative to staying in the field, which is where I will be camping. Thank you for the invitation and please keep those clouds 8 miles away from us :)

#17 fewayne

fewayne

Viking 1

• Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:48 AM

I took one look and was consumed with lust. But I already have a 420mm F/L instrument. Still...1-minute exposures instead of 10-minute ones...

#18 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:24 AM

Looks very nice! I like the red and black design. Looking forward to seeing how it performs.

One thing about these scopes that I always find interesting....they build these things as astrographs, and integrate correctors into the focusers...but then they leave you with a MANUAL focuser, not a motorized one. Seems so odd that these would be purpose-built for astrophotography and yet skimp out on one of the most important things for astrophotography (especially at such a fast f-ratio): reliable automated focus!

Edited by Jon Rista, 24 May 2019 - 10:24 AM.

• Stelios likes this

#19 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:27 AM

Looks very nice! I like the red and black design. Looking forward to seeing how it performs.

One thing about these scopes that I always find interesting....they build these things as astrographs, and integrate correctors into the focusers...but then they leave you with a MANUAL focuser, not a motorized one. Seems so odd that these would be purpose-built for astrophotography and yet skimp out on one of the most important things for astrophotography (especially at such a fast f-ratio): reliable automated focus!

Just slap a Rigel on (that's what I'm doing).

Paul

#20 ghostboo

ghostboo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ocean Springs, MS

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:47 AM

$1900 plus shipping. Contact SharpStar directly. I have one of the main people there as a FB friend and that's how I did it, but you can also email them. They are looking for a US dealer for their products. I'd hope that our hosts would be the ones to carry these!

Speaking of which, here's mine from last night before it was shipped:

attachicon.gif Capture.JPG

That is a fine looking scope! Where do I send my money? lol. Please, give us a review if you get a chance. 

#21 JP50515

JP50515

Viking 1

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:32 PM

What's really interesting to me is the fixed spiders on this scope. I've always wondered why more companies don't do this. 

Assuming the tube is actually concentric and the primary is concentric to the tube, this would eliminate the need to center the secondary quite effectively. At that point you only need to adjust for tilt/angle to focuser. 

Just seems way easier. Far less likely to bend a spider vane. I like it. 

Edited by JP50515, 24 May 2019 - 12:36 PM.

#22 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:53 PM

Initial impressions here: https://www.cloudyni...s/#entry9399325

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics