•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

From ngc1999 to M42

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dead_butt

dead_butt

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:32 PM

The data was acquired by a pier mate-GUOQIANG at the gemini observatory.
The equipment used for this image was FSQ106 and a 11K.
The single sub exposure 1200s and in LRGB. Total integration is around 20 hours.

The core of 42 was blown, however, there are tremendous details in ngc 1999. Hence in my process i focus mostly in this region.

c&c is more than welcome

Here is the result
get.jpg?insecure

Edited by dead_butt, 23 May 2019 - 01:36 AM.

• Joe F Gafford, buckeyestargazer, CCD-Freak and 12 others like this

#2 BKMaynard

BKMaynard

Ranger 4

• Loc: Dupo, Il. (st.louis area)

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:47 AM

Awesome image!

• CCD-Freak likes this

#3 44maurer

44maurer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:51 PM

Really nice image.

#4 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Skylab

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:13 PM

Killer image.  On one hand I'd like to see you bring back the trapezium as, like you said, it's all blown out.  On the other hand the rest of the image is so wonderfully processed that the blown out core really works.  It feels blistering-hot in your image and in this regard is captured very well. 

The more I look through it... the more I like it as-is. 

• dead_butt likes this

#5 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:14 PM

Wonderful image, for sure! One of the best dark sky deep integration objects there is, so much stuff around the core. 

Regarding the core, it is possible to do HDR combination and then use HDR compression techniques to preserve more of the core while still bringing out the faintest outer details. It's a challenge, for one you may need two additional sets of exposures (one set short enough to capture the Trap stars properly, another to capture the core at a level about half exposed as the subs that are currently blown out), and then you need to make sure you can linear fit each initegration to each other and combine them into a single HDR image (for which you may need 64-bit float to really preserve the full range.) 

Processing to bring out the core can be tricky, to do so without causing strange color shifts and the like. I've tried this once...and I ended up leaving the core pretty bright because trying to compress it too much resulted in strange tonal and color shifts, strange shading, etc. But, it IS possible, if you can grab some additional shorter-exposure data with the same system next winter. 

#6 dead_butt

dead_butt

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:31 PM

Wonderful image, for sure! One of the best dark sky deep integration objects there is, so much stuff around the core. 

Regarding the core, it is possible to do HDR combination and then use HDR compression techniques to preserve more of the core while still bringing out the faintest outer details. It's a challenge, for one you may need two additional sets of exposures (one set short enough to capture the Trap stars properly, another to capture the core at a level about half exposed as the subs that are currently blown out), and then you need to make sure you can linear fit each initegration to each other and combine them into a single HDR image (for which you may need 64-bit float to really preserve the full range.) 

Processing to bring out the core can be tricky, to do so without causing strange color shifts and the like. I've tried this once...and I ended up leaving the core pretty bright because trying to compress it too much resulted in strange tonal and color shifts, strange shading, etc. But, it IS possible, if you can grab some additional shorter-exposure data with the same system next winter. 

true, unfortunately i don't have the short exposure for a serious HDR. 

hopefully i would have the data next winter to rework it 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics