•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SVX130T or WO FLT 132 or Orion 130 Triplet APO

astrophotography optics refractor
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 marinaldi

marinaldi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:02 PM

Hi Folks,  Well I'm still trying to make a decision on a new imaging scope.  I've decided on the mount... G11G2HD.  I thought I had decided on the scope too but a PM communication regarding SV glass made me want to rehash the decision a bit more.  I had decided initially on a SVX125D but then talked my self into going for broke (the piggy bank, that is) and going for the SVX 130T Premier instead.   Now I'm questioning myself about the extra cash and thought I'd throw a couple more options on the table.  This is mostly price justification but also some questions regarding SV's seeming lack of info on glass used on the SVX 130T.  Ultimately the proof is in the pudding or optics performance in this case but the webpage simply states it as "combination of extra low dispersion and Lanthanum elements" not completely clear on what extra low dispersion entails.  That said, I tend to trust SV's scopes as I have a small SV70T-IS2 Imager and am very happy with the optics.  But money is money!!  Even though I live in San Francisco I'm an old resident (circa 1966) not a new spangled "money is no object tech guy".  

So here are my preferences in terms priority (which also happens to line up with price) at the moment,

1. SVX 130T Premier -  ~$5000 - w/3.5" focuser

2. WO 2018 Fluorostar 132 - 5" f/7 Triplet APO   -  ~$3600 -  w/3" focuser

3. Orion EON 130 Triplet APO  -  ~$2400  -  w/3" Crayford focuser

As I've indicated, I have some experience with the SV via the 70mm I own.  I've heard great  things about the WO scopes in general, and I've also heard good things about the cheaper Orion EON.  

My present situation is that I'm still on an AP learning curve so realistically for the next several months (possibly year) I'm just getting the mount and honing my AP skills with the SV70 I already own.  But at some point 6-12 months I'll shoot for one of these scopes above.  Of course if I wait a year there maybe be more, better, and possibly cheaper options....  

So to beat an almost dead horse to death any more pearls of wisdom/experience?  Is my "new" worry about the ambiguity of SV's glass warranted Does saving $1400 on a WO (to spend it on a decent cooled camera later maybe) justify it or am I just trying to justify a lower price scope?   More generally how do SVX and WO FL refractors compare?

BTW,  I've read the CN thread where the poster tried to get a comparison between the SV and WO scopes above.  I came away from that thinking that SV outsources their Access series but actually polishes and tests lenses on their more expensive line (like the SVX?).  Any ideas here?

Thanks again for any help, Mike

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Vanguard

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:12 PM

IMO the SVX130T Premier would have better optics and better QC but the cost is high.  The WO Fluorostar 132 is also a good scope.

Search astrobin to see if you can find examples of each.

Edited by Jim Waters, 23 May 2019 - 01:13 PM.

• mike17 and marinaldi like this

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:20 PM

Let me confuse things more.  <smile>

With a similar choice, and a similar list of prospects, I chose the Teleskop-Services 130 F7 with 3.7 focuser.  Triplet, FPL-53, sturdy focuser.  Fully threaded/threadable optics.   Camera rotator.  Available 1X flattener, which I got.  Reducer/flatteners also available.  About $2500 for just the scope.

https://www.teleskop...r---FPL-53.html

I bought mine from Karl Kloss, got a fairly simple optical report specific to my scope, provided some reassurance about the purchase.  Found just a few reviews, but they were favorable.  Here's a 19 page thread about the scope, with some comparisons (largely theoretical).

https://www.cloudyni...9?hl= 130mm f7

I considered the SV130T, love Stellarvue, didn't see how it was worth twice the price.  Depending on your wallet, you may disagree.  <smile>  I'm not fond of Stellarvue's reticence to state the glass clearly, but I wouldn't let it deter me.

I've been happy with the TS, there are a number of images on my recent Astrobin.

Minor point.  My other scopes are an SV70T and an SVQ100.

Edited by bobzeq25, 23 May 2019 - 01:30 PM.

• SteveG, HydrogenAlpha, marinaldi and 3 others like this

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:30 PM

Go with the SV If you feel that will make you more confident but IMO there probably won't be much difference from the WO 132FLT when viewing through the eyepiece.

• marinaldi likes this

#5 photoracer18

photoracer18

Vanguard

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:13 PM

The other scopes are decent but you have to justify the cost yourself if you really want Strehl .98 optics by getting the SV. As for the focuser a 3.5" FT is better by far than any Chinese focuser no matter the maker or price, especially if you do AP. I own an older SVA130T (#0002). Its right at the guaranteed .95 Strehl, with the SV focuser and I don't intend to do AP so its staying like that. Anything I use for AP eithers gets an FT focuser or comes with one (Moonlite is also OK). You also need to consider whether its going to be a keeper or just a stop on the way to something bigger or different, so the resale costs come into play.
If you are fairly new to AP I would go for the cheaper scope first in case you need to spend more on AP things.
If money is not the problem, forget the 130s and go directly for a TEC140, either used ED or new FL. I would still have my TEC140 if I had not run into physical problems with my knees as it was noticeably heavier then my SV130.
  • MCinAZ, marinaldi and Gene3 like this

#6 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:57 PM

I was told buy Vic that the SVX 130T uses FPL-51.  My excellent WO ZS110  F7 triplet uses it and only shows CA on Venus. It's a TMB design as is the WO  FLT132 . SV scopes do go on sale from time to time.  David 

• marinaldi likes this

#7 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:04 PM

OK...Long post here.

I went through the same decision as you and I picked the Stellarvue with a Feather Touch over the WO.

Here are my personal results:

I physically inspected both. The SV at their office in Auburn, Calif. and the WO at NEAF. Though both are impressive scopes solidly built.  I gave the quality edge to SV.

One caveat was I was looking at a SV 130T with a Feather Touch focuser and the WO with their own brand focuser.

The SV office and factory is one hour from me. Any problems I can hand carry it directly to them. With WO I have to ship it to William at his home in southern California. You are about the what a hour an half distant?

Both SV and WO are very attentive to their customers but I gave the edge to Vic at SV.

Service needs are handled well by both. However, I had to give the edge to SV again. They being local US respond much faster were as if William can’t solve the problem in southern California...the scope as to go back overseas so a much longer wait time for resolution.

The SV comes with the Zygo interferometric test report. WO do a Zygo test but they charge you $150 for a copy of that report.

The WO comes with a Bahtinov Mask cover which is really nice. SV does not.

The WO has FPL-53 glass. SV is using Lanthanum.

The SVX series are rated at .98 - .996 Strehl made in their Aubrun optical shop. (My 130T is .992 Strehl). WO doesn’t state its rating range but shouldn’t be too bad. You just don’t know it without the report. Most likely above .96 but I’m guessing.

SV will configure a scope to your specifications. i.e. Feather Touch or NiteCrawler and so on. I don’t believe WO can do so.

SVX series are machine and hand finished. Hand finishing takes time and expertise. I believe WO are only machine finished.

WO comes with handle and guide mount and mounting plate. SV comes with only mounting rings. Both come with Standard Case. SV you can upgrade the case. I don’t know if WO offers a case upgrade.

SV gives free shipping and a tax discount if your in California and subject to the sales tax so the price you see is the price you pay. WO charges for shipping and it comes from out of the country so no sales tax.

SV optical cell is stainless steel which has a similar coefficient of expansion better than aluminum. WO…I don’t know… I’m sure William can tell you.

As I said, I picked SV over the WO. I felt that it was worth the extra to have warranty and factory service in driving distance.

You can change configurations such as the focuser. The SVX optic’s are US made and hand finished and inspected to a high standard with Zygo report.

Finally, I liked the attention to detail I saw and the factory.

FIW - I just noticed that the SVX130T is sale price on the Stellarvue web page at $4607.89 right now verses the WO $3698.00 (the WO site is out of stock... but there may be scopes at dealers)

My opinion... is it is worth the extra bucks for the SV over the WO. Both are good scopes but my money went with the SV this time.

If you go with SV you might ask them the cost of the Feather touch focuser upgrade. I like the one I have. I also have the smaller 80mm Access scope with the SV focuser, it seems fine and similar in quality to my WO GTF 81mm focuser.

Finally, there is another post going on right now dissing Stellarvue. I think it's hog wash. Any brand will be complained about and your only going to hear the bad stuff. Plus people sometimes have unreasonable expectations. Do a search on every brand of scope out there and there will be complaints on all of them.  I recall WO being dissed just recently.

Edited by scadvice, 23 May 2019 - 06:54 PM.

• gundark, marinaldi and Gene3 like this

#8 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:35 PM

The WO 132 uses a steel cell and was told by William it's .95 Strehl or better . I was considering one of these scopes. I'd go with the SV  because of the higher Strehl rating, it's US made and I prefer the lower key trim. The SV sale would seal the deal, you also get a discount if you're in California to offset our high sales tax. As I'm only  visual  Vic told me it could be ordered with the smaller focuser to save money and weight but if you're doing AP  not a good idea. I decided not to get either as my IM 715D mak and WO ZS110 kind of makes a 5" APO redundant.  Just checked SV's and their retailers site's and they show the SVX 130T at $4,999. A number of their retailers still have the SVA 130T in stock. David 

Edited by dscarpa, 23 May 2019 - 05:58 PM.

• marinaldi and scadvice like this

#9 ezwheels

ezwheels

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Oakland, CA.

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:23 AM

I like bobzeq's idea on the TS130. And if you wanted to spend the full 5k, add a Nitecrawler. Or if you want to really open the list up, I paid a bit less for my superb used TEC140ED than the price of the SV130. 

#10 HydrogenAlpha

HydrogenAlpha

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:13 AM

In the spirit of the TS 130mm scope, you can also consider this: 

https://www.teleskop...-Telescope.html

It's the same telescope, but with a built-in 0.72x reducer and flattener. Plug and play with your camera, no need to fuss with getting a separate reducer and spacing it. It runs at a nice fast f/5 and can cover full frame. 

• marinaldi likes this

#11 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:44 PM

It's the same telescope, but with a built-in 0.72x reducer and flattener. Plug and play with your camera, no need to fuss with getting a separate reducer and spacing it. It runs at a nice fast f/5 and can cover full frame. 

That looks interesting. I wonder how it performs?

• marinaldi likes this

#12 HydrogenAlpha

HydrogenAlpha

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:11 PM

That looks interesting. I wonder how it performs?

There are quite a number of images on astrobin, so it seems like quite a number of people have it:

https://www.astrobin...-flatfield-apo/

Taking a random sample of images, it seems like the corner stars look pretty good, although there could have been processing involved. 

• marinaldi likes this

#13 marinaldi

marinaldi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:29 PM

Wow!!  I looked at some of the pics and this looks like a great scope.  Does TS quote Strehl numbers if asked?  And about 1/2 the price of the SV!!  Hmmmm now I have another possibility to my list!!  

#14 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:41 PM

At the TS 130's  as with the WO 132's  price point  I'd be good with  knowing the scopes .95 Strehl or better .  I wasn't planning on swinging for the report on the WO 132.   I wouldn't get a refractor  that wasn't at least .95 Strehl after my experience with the WO ZS110 and IM715D mak.  David

Edited by dscarpa, 24 May 2019 - 09:42 PM.

#15 HydrogenAlpha

HydrogenAlpha

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:07 PM

Wow!! I looked at some of the pics and this looks like a great scope. Does TS quote Strehl numbers if asked? And about 1/2 the price of the SV!! Hmmmm now I have another possibility to my list!!

I'm not sure, but I think you can request for an optical testing report at an extra cost. I doubt they pre-test the Strehl numbers, as it's not usually a standard procedure for most brands (SV goes above and beyond in that regard, which is why you pay the premium).

#16 marinaldi

marinaldi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:31 AM

Thanks Ivan.  I'd probably not pay to receive it.  Are you familiar with TS scopes?  Or more to the point would you pay 2x for a similar SV scope?

Mike

#17 HydrogenAlpha

HydrogenAlpha

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:48 AM

Thanks Ivan.  I'd probably not pay to receive it.  Are you familiar with TS scopes?  Or more to the point would you pay 2x for asimilar SV scope?

Mike

That's a tough question. It's difficult to tell unless one has used both before. Personally, I paid a premium for my 5" refractor, which is also 2x the price of the TS scope. I don't know if it is really optically superior to any appreciable extent, but it was a telescope that I wanted to keep in the long run. I thought that if I got anything else, I'd still be lusting over the premium scope lol.gif But that isn't exactly a rational choice. 

Once again, I have used neither scope, so take my answer with a pinch of salt. More often than not, you aren't going to see any discernible difference in the final images. 

• marinaldi likes this

#18 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:12 AM

At this point I suggest honing your AP skills with the SV70mm and hold off on deciding which scope for now. I suspect you will have a better feel  for which one 6 months from now. 

Make your list like you are doing and I bet that list will change a whole bunch by then time your ready to buy. I know mine did. lol.gif

• bobzeq25 likes this

#19 marinaldi

marinaldi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:25 AM

That's a tough question. It's difficult to tell unless one has used both before. Personally, I paid a premium for my 5" refractor, which is also 2x the price of the TS scope. I don't know if it is really optically superior to any appreciable extent, but it was a telescope that I wanted to keep in the long run. I thought that if I got anything else, I'd still be lusting over the premium scope lol.gif But that isn't exactly a rational choice. 

Once again, I have used neither scope, so take my answer with a pinch of salt. More often than not, you aren't going to see any discernible difference in the final images. 

Thanks Ivan!   You're probably correct that I won't really notice any difference with the results.  

#20 marinaldi

marinaldi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:28 AM

At this point I suggest honing your AP skills with the SV70mm and hold off on deciding which scope for now. I suspect you will have a better feel  for which one 6 months from now. 

Make your list like you are doing and I bet that list will change a whole bunch by then time your ready to buy. I know mine did. lol.gif

This was my plan anyway but I'm on a learning in terms of bigger scopes too so why not get my feet wet with all the questions :-).  They'll probably be the same questions in 6-12 months anyway.  So by then I'll either have more options or one or two obvious choices.  

Thanks!

#21 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:01 PM

This was my plan anyway but I'm on a learning in terms of bigger scopes too so why not get my feet wet with all the questions :-).  They'll probably be the same questions in 6-12 months anyway.  So by then I'll either have more options or one or two obvious choices.  

Thanks!

Actually I'd bet the questions and the options will be different.  I got my 130 after more than 3 years experience, maybe 40 somewhat decent images.  Nothing will guide your decision better than more experience, and more images.

I see you're looking at better mounts.  That decision will be more important.  Then there are cameras....

FWIW, my history.  I started with an 80mm on a zeq25, similar to the AVX.  After a silly mistake with getting a larger scope, my next decision was a CEM-60 mount.  A mono CCD with LRGB filters.  A narrowband Ha filter.  Then a good 100mm, an SVQ100.

The 130mm scope came after all that.

Edited by bobzeq25, 25 May 2019 - 12:17 PM.

• marinaldi likes this

#22 marinaldi

marinaldi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:59 PM

Actually I'd bet the questions and the options will be different.  I got my 130 after more than 3 years experience, maybe 40 somewhat decent images.  Nothing will guide your decision better than more experience, and more images.

I see you're looking at better mounts.  That decision will be more important.  Then there are cameras....

FWIW, my history.  I started with an 80mm on a zeq25, similar to the AVX.  After a silly mistake with getting a larger scope, my next decision was a CEM-60 mount.  A mono CCD with LRGB filters.  A narrowband Ha filter.  Then a good 100mm, an SVQ100.

The 130mm scope came after all that.

I'm betting that the next 6-12 months will tell me what I need to know.  Thanks for sharing your AP history

#23 tross

tross

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:42 AM

This is an interesting topic, one that I have similar thoughts on.

I own a 2016 Stellarvue SVA130 EDT APO with the 3in Feather Touch focuser. In looking at my spec sheet, it has a STREHEL ratio of 95.2 and the multi coated objective lens FPL53 ED Optics using top quality ED glass from Ohara Japan.

Originally I was going to purchase the Williams Optics 132mm but they were out of stock, so went with the Stellarvue.

Mine is a good copy and don't regret getting it.

If I could do a side by side test of this scope and the new Stellarvues SVX130T that would be interesting.smile.gif smile.gif

Carl

• marinaldi likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, optics, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics