•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Convert a Newtonian to a Dobsonian

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dann-Oh

Dann-Oh

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:26 PM

I am looking to purchase a Newtonian scope, I'm looking at the TPO 6" newt.  My question is if I purchase this I will eventually "outgrow" this scope at that point in time will I be able to convert this scope to sit on a Dob mount?  I' asking because I would like to put the "new" scope on my existing mount and then use the Newt/Dob for Visual while my AP rig is firing away.

Thanks for your time.

#2 JGass

JGass

Viking 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:34 PM

One way would be to make a dobsonian tube box (Google it).

Otherwise, you would have to find or make trunions that attach to the tube, itself.

Given the length of a 6" f/6 newtonian OTA, you might need a stand to raise up your dob base to put the eyepiece at convenient heights for a standing observer.

#3 Starman47

Starman47

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Middle Tennessee

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:42 PM

Yes. The easiest way is to have Dennis Steele at Dobstuff make the base and tube box for you. He could make it as a kit. All you would need to do is a bit of sanding, staining, varnishing and screwing things together.  He can create the base so the eyepiece is at a convenient height.

www.dobstuff.com also see  www.dobstuff.com/pictures.htm

email: densteele@dobstuff.com

And PS. Dennis is a joy to work with.

Edited by Starman47, 23 May 2019 - 02:06 PM.

• ToxMan and havasman like this

#4 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:00 PM

You can get a base made or make a base unit. You would also need to have some variety of rings/rollers on the scope shown to sit in the corresponding cradle of the mount.

In effect it seems to get complicated  (costly) unless you do it yourself. As you need the dobsonian mount and some apparent conversion for the OTA. Suppose you could get a cradle arrangement but again that is extra.

Might be an idea to have a look at the Stellafane pages for idea, look through their Links page.

#5 David_Ritter

David_Ritter

Viking 1

• Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:01 PM

Here is my MN190 Mak-Newt that has a home-made dob base for visual use.

The base mostly made from leftover construction plywood and parts from other projects. But there is some new baltic birch in it as well and I did end up buying a lazy-susan bearing for the azimuth bearing.

To easily mount the scope in the base, I also bought an extra set of rings and used them instead of a tube holding box. That part works really well, I can mount and un-mount the tube from the base in under a minute without needing tools.

The rest of it ranges from pretty good to "still needs work". But I do use it regularly. It's great in the winter as a lug-and-go when it's too cold to bother setting up on of the EQ mounts. And it's also much easier to view with than an EQ mount.

The total cost, including rings and bearing was around $100.

mn190_on_dob.jpg

• makeitso, clusterbuster and 25585 like this

#6 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:04 PM

That's going to be a "Low Rider Dob". 

#7 Starman47

Starman47

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Middle Tennessee

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:22 PM

Low rider dob,  and an adjustable observing chair. And you are in business. smile.gif

#8 Wire

Wire

Mariner 2

• Loc: Dundalk, MD

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:07 PM

Seems it would be a lot cheaper just to buy a 6" dobsonian scope and get something else for the mount.

• Stephen Kennedy likes this

#9 izar187

izar187

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:45 AM

I am looking to purchase a Newtonian scope, I'm looking at the TPO 6" newt.  My question is if I purchase this I will eventually "outgrow" this scope at that point in time will I be able to convert this scope to sit on a Dob mount?  I' asking because I would like to put the "new" scope on my existing mount and then use the Newt/Dob for Visual while my AP rig is firing away.

Thanks for your time.

Consider a pipe mount.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics