•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Night vision 5x afocal lens

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:02 PM

After initially being unimpressed with my 3x afocal lens mounted on my pvs-14, I now really enjoy the portability and ease of use. The extra magnification really brings out extra detail when sweeping around in Ha and for galaxies it’s also very useful. As I use a pvs-14, I can’t use camera lens and so afocal is the only thinks I can do.
Now I’ve read disappointing reports of the 5x afocal lens and I note it’s also a fair bit slower at f2.4 but I’m still tempted. I’d be interested in any further observations of using the 5x lens - is it really a waste of time??
https://actinblack.lu/product/5x-mag/

#2 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:26 PM

Gavster, not sure if this is the same ITT model as the F/1.4 5x afocal lens for pvs-14 that is available, but maybe message the seller to see what speed it is. I don’t know if ITT made a bunch of models or not but at least one of the ITT models is F/1.4

From eBay UK

https://www.ebay.co....E4AAOSwlE5cwxCj

#3 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:28 PM

Gavster, not sure if this is the same ITT model as the F/1.4 5x afocal lens for pvs-14 that is available, but maybe message the seller to see what speed it is. I don’t know if ITT made a bunch of models or not but at least one of the ITT models is F/1.4

From eBay UK

https://www.ebay.co....E4AAOSwlE5cwxCj

Falls under ITAR unfortunately 

#4 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:30 PM

Falls under ITAR unfortunately 

It’s F/1.5 actually - my mistake

Even if in UK already? That is an eBay UK listing.

*Edit - nevermind. I see. US seller listing on Uk eBay 

sorry about that

Edited by Vondragonnoggin, 23 May 2019 - 04:32 PM.

#5 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

I wonder if this one from Scottcountry is the same type or if faster or if it would fit pvs-14. It fits the MNVD monocular as well as NYX-7 goggle.

https://www.scottcou...5x-afocal-lens/

#6 Mazerski

Mazerski

Vostok 1

• ****-

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:21 PM

Just picked up an Armasight PVS-7 and a nice and clean 5x bell lens was included. The lens screws directly into the Armasight ENVIS Unit (no external adapters necessary). 

Note: for a C-mount ENVIS (Mod3 and PVS7), I don't know what adapter is required for the 5x lens to fit (and to use a filter).

VonD - the lens you reference looks to have an adapter ring as part of assembly.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5x.JPG

#7 11769

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: TX

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:57 PM

Just picked up an Armasight PVS-7 and a nice and clean 5x bell lens was included. The lens screws directly into the Armasight ENVIS Unit (no external adapters necessary). 

Note: for a C-mount ENVIS (Mod3 and PVS7), I don't know what adapter is required for the 5x lens to fit (and to use a filter).

VonD - the lens you reference looks to have an adapter ring as part of assembly.

The objective in the photo is definitely not an ENVIS lens. Looks like a standard PVS-7 objective assembly. 

The threading on the input side of PVS-7, PVS-14, and ENVIS objectives is the same and 3x magnifiers may be used either directly by screwing into the objective lens (slightly less vignetting) or just slipped on as most come with the slip on adapter. Same applies to US 5x lenses too. 

There are some 3x and 5x lenses out there that are Chinese attempts at a copy, usually made for ATN or other similar companies. Some may be fully mechanically compatible with US optics but expect the glass quality to be worse. There also are Chinese afocal lenses made for Chinese NVDs, such as the Chinese MUM-14 knockoff, and those are not mechanically compatible. Can't thread them in or slip them on.

#8 Mazerski

Mazerski

Vostok 1

• ****-

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:36 PM

11769 — thanks for the info.

I didnt know what the PVS7 nosepiece / lens is called, so yes, it is the objective assembly. The assembly was replaced with a C-mount nosepiece and I do have (2) ENVIS lens that came with other devices... I don’t know if the RAF (?) Adapter that Ed designed that fits over the ENVIS would accept the 5x thread.

#9 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 31 May 2019 - 07:44 AM

ITAR? Be interested in the exact line that covers optics, as opposed to the actual high spec GaAs photocathode tube??

PEter

#10 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:53 AM

11769 — thanks for the info.

I didnt know what the PVS7 nosepiece / lens is called, so yes, it is the objective assembly. The assembly was replaced with a C-mount nosepiece and I do have (2) ENVIS lens that came with other devices... I don’t know if the RAF (?) Adapter that Ed designed that fits over the ENVIS would accept the 5x thread.

If the thread is the same as that used on the PVS-7, PVS-14, or ENVIS lenses to mount the 3x, then the 5x should screw into the front of the RAF slip over connector.   The front thread on the RAF slip over connector is the same as the front thread in all of these lenses.   That means you can also mount an RAF PVS-14 filter adapter into the front of the slip over. If you put one filter ring in the slip over, and the other in the snap on connector, then when doing 1x, you can swap back and forth between a long pass and a narrowband, or between two different narrowbands or whatever.

Anything that screws on to the front of the PVS-7 will thread on to the RAF slip on though.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics