•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Omni XLT 150 as imaging scope

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jireh

Jireh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kentucky

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:31 PM

What is your opinion regarding the Omni XLT 150 as an imaging scope? Pros and cons?

#2 birddog99

birddog99

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:28 PM

The XLT150 was my starter scope 2 years ago. In my opinion it is a great little scope. Collimation is a breeze. You might consider a dew shield for it. The secondary mirror would sometimes dew up on very humid evenings. I now am using a GSO 8" imaging newtonian. At F3.9, it's a little trickier to collimate and coma is still slightly apparent, but managable. For the XLT150 the Baader MKCIII comma corrector does the trick. Yes you will need a coma corrector. But I do miss my XLT150 at times.

• Jireh likes this

#3 Jireh

Jireh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:53 PM

The XLT150 was my starter scope 2 years ago. In my opinion it is a great little scope. Collimation is a breeze. You might consider a dew shield for it. The secondary mirror would sometimes dew up on very humid evenings. I now am using a GSO 8" imaging newtonian. At F3.9, it's a little trickier to collimate and coma is still slightly apparent, but managable. For the XLT150 the Baader MKCIII comma corrector does the trick. Yes you will need a coma corrector. But I do miss my XLT150 at times.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I'm using an Esprit 100ED right now and it's fantastic. But I was looking for something with a bit longer focal length for galaxies. It's not a huge increase but for the price I think it may be worth it. I was also looking at the Orion and ES 8" newts. How would you compare the image quality of the Omni and the Orion?

#4 Astro_BC

Astro_BC

Explorer 1

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:26 PM

I have an XLT150 as well for about 2 years. It is a nice scope especially considering it's pretty inexpensive.

I've made a few upgrades, including a fan on the lens cell, a secondary dew heater, and a moonlite focuser.

Post any questions you might have.
  • Jireh likes this

#5 Jireh

Jireh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:25 AM

I have an XLT150 as well for about 2 years. It is a nice scope especially considering it's pretty inexpensive.

I've made a few upgrades, including a fan on the lens cell, a secondary dew heater, and a moonlite focuser.

Post any questions you might have.

Thanks, I appreciate it! Which dew heater and moonlite focuser are you using? Also, what camera are you imaging with? Do you have any problems with wind?

#6 Astro_BC

Astro_BC

Explorer 1

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:12 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it! Which dew heater and moonlite focuser are you using? Also, what camera are you imaging with? Do you have any problems with wind?

he dew heater was my own DIY using nichrome wire. It took a bit of work to get it coiled right on the back of the secondary. I got tired of it dewing up after a couple hours so it was worth it. Kendrick sells secondary heaters but I didn't see one that would fit. A external dew shield would probably work well too.

The moonlite is the CR 2 inch model with 6" universal install kit. The stock focuser isn't terrible but the focuser tube is long since the scope is handles imaging and visual use. The moonlite has motor options and the draw tube is shorter so it doesn't stick into the light path.

I use both a modified canon T4i and an ASI1600MM with filter wheel. I use the Baader MPCC with both. Coma isn't terrible without it but with it corners are much improved.

With my atlas EQ-g mount, wind is only an issue if it's breezy. Normal evening wind isn't an issue I've found.
  • Jireh likes this

#7 Jireh

Jireh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:11 PM

he dew heater was my own DIY using nichrome wire. It took a bit of work to get it coiled right on the back of the secondary. I got tired of it dewing up after a couple hours so it was worth it. Kendrick sells secondary heaters but I didn't see one that would fit. A external dew shield would probably work well too.

The moonlite is the CR 2 inch model with 6" universal install kit. The stock focuser isn't terrible but the focuser tube is long since the scope is handles imaging and visual use. The moonlite has motor options and the draw tube is shorter so it doesn't stick into the light path.

I use both a modified canon T4i and an ASI1600MM with filter wheel. I use the Baader MPCC with both. Coma isn't terrible without it but with it corners are much improved.

With my atlas EQ-g mount, wind is only an issue if it's breezy. Normal evening wind isn't an issue I've found.

Thanks - good info!

#8 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:30 PM

I had the Omni 150 when I first got into imaging. Three years later I have the ES N208CF. IMO, the ES is a nice step up mechanically and optically. If, however, you are willing to make a few mods (dew shield mentioned and a stronger focuser) the Omni will give good results. Don’t worry about collimation. If you can collimate an F5 or F6, you can collimate an F4. It only takes a bit more attention.
  • Jireh likes this

#9 Jireh

Jireh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:35 AM

I had the Omni 150 when I first got into imaging. Three years later I have the ES N208CF. IMO, the ES is a nice step up mechanically and optically. If, however, you are willing to make a few mods (dew shield mentioned and a stronger focuser) the Omni will give good results. Don’t worry about collimation. If you can collimate an F5 or F6, you can collimate an F4. It only takes a bit more attention.

Thanks, it seems like even with a few modifications it's not a bad scope for the money. I'm using an Esprit 100ED right now so I've never used a reflector or collimated a scope. I'm just looking for something to get a little closer to those smaller galaxies without breaking the bank. I already blew my entire budget with the Esprit, camera, mount and countless other pieces of gear.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics