•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I'm not buying it... yet. Ioptron AP Paramount 10μ

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:59 PM

I'm not in the market right now for a mount, but in the next year I hope to move to darker skies where I can build an obsy with a permanent pier.  If I do, I'd be looking at putting a nice mount on it.  I've long wanted a Mach 1, but with that mount discontinued now it would only be an option if I found a used one down the road.  I thought I would start a thread to talk about some of the premium mounts in the mid-price range, some of which I literally know nothing about.    By mid-price range I would say $5k to $10k range.  I may never justify spending this much on a mount, but with a perm pier... I might. 

I'm a big fan of iOptron, I have a CEM60 and a CEM25p now.  The CEM120EC looks pretty compelling at *only* $5500. I like the CEM design and the performance I get out of my '60 is really good with an 8in Newt.  Then there is the 120EC2, although I don't know what benefit and encoder on DEC would give me....

The Mach 2 looks great, although the new presumed price point hurts.  You DO get encoders, but is it worth a couple or several thousand dollars more than the CEM120.  The weight capacity is plenty for what I do, and foresee doing.  Maybe I'd get a Truss someday, but who knows...

The MyT or MX+ are both in that price range.  Why would one want to go with one of these over the Mach 2?  I literally know nothing about these mounts, just that there are several very good imagers here on CN that use them. 

10 Micron is another manufacturer that I know absolutely nothing about.  Their entry level GM1000 *barely* fits in the price range I brought up.  Is this just one of those mounts you buy for bragging rights or is it really that great?  For almost 10k it's got a weight capacity of only 55lbs... but if you don't plan to go heavier, is it the cat's meow? 

The there is Tak?  I haven't even considered one of these...

What do you use and why?  What is not on this list but in this class that is worth considering?

Please, don't bring up china vs usa in this thread...

Edited by ChrisWhite, 23 May 2019 - 08:58 PM.

#2 jpbutler

jpbutler

Apollo

• Loc: Edison, NJ

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:08 PM

Dude you already live in the sticks. LOL

I envy your yellow zone.

John

• gfstallin likes this

#3 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:19 PM

Dude you already live in the sticks. LOL

I envy your yellow zone.

John

Yeah, I have pretty good skies already, but I have a small yard that is flanked on all sides by trees, so my view is limited.  Because of my wife's health complications it's not easy for me to get to a dark site.  We both want to move, so she can have a horse at home and me so I have an unobstructed view of the sky. Places we are looking have mag 21.5 skies give or take...  That would get me excited to build a decent size ROR and put in a permanent pier. 

• Pug likes this

#4 jpbutler

jpbutler

Apollo

• Loc: Edison, NJ

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:27 PM

Well good luck, sorry to take your thread off topic.

John

• ChrisWhite likes this

#5 StephenW

StephenW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:46 PM

Hey Chris,

If this is for a permanent setup I'd strongly recommend something bigger than either of the Machs.

I love my Mach1, but it has been optimized as a light weight portable mount. I know you said a Mach2 would meet your forseeable needs, but needs change ;). The CEM120 or an AP1100 would be better suited to a permanent set-up.

Steve
  • MikeMiller, ChrisWhite and ezwheels like this

#6 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:22 PM

The CEM120 or an AP1100 would be better suited to a permanent set-up.

Steve

It kind of depends on the payload. I am putting my Mach1 on a pier with 30 pounds of gear ... I don't think I needed an 1100. Although ... the Mach1/2 are readily available now other than perhaps on the used market.

• ChrisWhite and Pug like this

#7 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:51 PM

Hey Chris,

If this is for a permanent setup I'd strongly recommend something bigger than either of the Machs.

I love my Mach1, but it has been optimized as a light weight portable mount. I know you said a Mach2 would meet your forseeable needs, but needs change wink.gif. The CEM120 or an AP1100 would be better suited to a permanent set-up.

Steve

I did give the AP1100 a thought, but with encoders being the rave I wonder if it would be better to get something less "capable" but with encoders.  There is NO WAY I could swing an 1100 with encoders...

Also, I wonder if by the time I would be ready to purchase such a mount, the 1100 will be discontinued as well and replaced with a Version 2 that just includes encoders similar to what they did with the Mach 1.  It wouldnt make much sense for AP to have a Mach 2 and 1100 in their lineup as the pricepoints are so close....

• sink45ny and Pug like this

#8 Arie

Arie

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:36 PM

There aren't any 10Micron mounts for sale 2nd hand . . . . . . 

• hnau, germana1, Raginar and 4 others like this

#9 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:39 PM

I love my 10u.
  • psandelle and Pug like this

#10 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:49 PM

I have used a MyT and now use a couple of 11+ years old A-P mounts. I am also on the list for a new Mach2. With the Mach2's rated 75lbs weight capacity, I think it will easily replace the AP900 that I have. Here's the other thing, I am in a remote observatory, so having encoders will truly help, IMO. Not that either of the two A-P's don't do the job right now (in fact with APCC Pro, I have had no issues whatsoever - things like mount getting lost, etc.). I love the A-P mounts because they just work. They are not complicated at all (I am not sure if that will be true for the Mach2 as well, but we will see). 

The MyT on the other hand was a bit complicated FOR ME. I am not a whole lot mechanically inclined and the MyT needed some adjustments when I received it (it was a used mount, but the previous owner had never used it). I had to send it to SB for those adjustments which fixed the issue, but my reasoning at that point was if I had paid $6K for the mount, I shouldn't have had to send it in for any kind of adjustments. Again, that is not to say that MyTs suffer from QC, but it did not work for me. (I do hear that those issues are mostly related to MyT mounts - the MX+ mounts are absolutely fantastic).

I have a very good friend who uses an iOptron CEM120EC2 (with a 3000mm FL scope) and one of my peers in the remote observatory uses the CEM120EC (with a 600mm FL scope). I haven't heard either of them complain about those mounts. They seem to be performing really well. The question going around for iOptron mounts is around their longevity. But, they do seem like solid performers. 

I am also part of an imaging team where we are "testing" a 10Micron 2000 mount and it has been exceptional so far (with a 3500mm FL scope). With A-P now getting ready to sell the Mach2, I think they are going to make life a bit difficult for 10Micron mounts (especially the 1000 series that is rated at 55lbs). I am not sure if 10Micron will lower the price on the 1000 series, but A-P will provide solid competition. 

So, here's the thing - I think the iOptron provides good bang for buck. Would I buy it? I was tempted to buy it, but went with used A-P mounts and now with the Mach2 (I was seriously contemplating the 10Micron based on what I saw with my imaging team, but I think the Mach2 levels the playing field for encoder mounts in that 55lbs to 70lbs weight category).

I think your choices are really between A-P Mach2 and the CEM120EC/EC2. I think it will boil down to personal preference and what you plan to put on it in the future. If the intent is to use your mount for the next 15 years, I would be worried about the iOptron (just because there is no data available in terms of their longevity) and while the Mach2 will be new, other A-P products have been around for a long period and they "just work". In the short term, you will most likely not go wrong with either mount.

CS! 

• psandelle and Pug like this

#11 hnau

hnau

Vostok 1

• Loc: AZ

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:12 AM

The MyT on the other hand was a bit complicated FOR ME. I am not a whole lot mechanically inclined and the MyT needed some adjustments when I received it (it was a used mount, but the previous owner had never used it). I had to send it to SB for those adjustments which fixed the issue, but my reasoning at that point was if I had paid $6K for the mount, I shouldn't have had to send it in for any kind of adjustments. Again, that is not to say that MyTs suffer from QC, but it did not work for me. (I do hear that those issues are mostly related to MyT mounts - the MX+ mounts are absolutely fantastic).

So, here's the thing - I think the iOptron provides good bang for buck. Would I buy it? I was tempted to buy it, but went with used A-P mounts and now with the Mach2 (I was seriously contemplating the 10Micron based on what I saw with my imaging team, but I think the Mach2 levels the playing field for encoder mounts in that 55lbs to 70lbs weight category).

I think your choices are really between A-P Mach2 and the CEM120EC/EC2. I think it will boil down to personal preference and what you plan to put on it in the future. If the intent is to use your mount for the next 15 years, I would be worried about the iOptron (just because there is no data available in terms of their longevity) and while the Mach2 will be new, other A-P products have been around for a long period and they "just work". In the short term, you will most likely not go wrong with either mount.

The same thing happened to myself and a friend with two brand new Mach1s purchased in 2017.  Both mounts required returns to the factory (mine was returned twice) for adjustments to the dec. gearbox.  I am also aware of additional brand new Mach1 returns that occurred around that same time based on correspondence with other customers.  QC issues can and do happen to even the best companies, but I consider these experiences particularly bad given the amount of money being exchanged. Furthermore, returns were only authorized after unnecessarily exhaustive and redundant troubleshooting, ultimately costing many clear nights with good imaging conditions.  I bought a premium mount with a supposed amazing reputation to get away from gear problems and troubleshooting, not have gobs more than previously experienced.  Much of the rather unproductive back and forth stemmed from A-P's own unfamiliarity with PHD2, which it appears they are finally taking seriously based on some of their recent posts and that's great news for their customers.

I am cautiously hopeful (at best) that the Mach2 will be a real game changer in the world of belt driven absolute encoder mounts.  Until this year A-P has been deeply rooted in the past from both a hardware and software perspective.  Now they appear to be intent on reinventing their product line.  I have a second pier in my observatory that still needs a mount, and I am not sure which mount I will end up going with.  Based on my own experience, I will likely never own an A-P product again.

• Pug likes this

#12 Esso2112

Esso2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:48 AM

I haven’t owned an Ioptron CEM or EQ mount. I did own a minitower, which really wasn’t that great. That was a while ago, though and companies change. 

I own 2 AP mounts and two Tak mounts. I can say that none of them have given me an ounce of trouble. Of my four mounts, this would be my ranking based on experience both imaging and visual with scopes from 60mm to 14”. 

1) AP 1200. Massive, reliable and easy to use. Very stable. 

2) Tak EM-400. Not fancy with all the bells and whistles like other premium mounts, but it just works. Every time. 

3) AP Mach1. A very good mount, but honestly not in the same league as the above 2. It is quick to setup and easy to use.

4) Tak EM-11. Perfect for small scopes. I use it with some of my small classic refractors. 

Edited by Esso2112, 26 May 2019 - 10:49 AM.

#13 Tonk

Tonk

Cosmos

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:30 PM

Its a real pity the 10u has got so expensive. I bought my 1000HPS in 2013 in the UK at half the price it appears to be now in the USA. Even then the price jumped in the UK shortly after I bought mine

I wouldn't part with either of my 10us. They are just brilliant mounts

24c153ad63424f513f5c2ddd14af8595.620x0_q

Edited by Tonk, 26 May 2019 - 08:36 PM.

• hnau, psandelle, Raginar and 2 others like this

#14 Johnathan Edwards

Johnathan Edwards

Sputnik

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:17 AM

Stick with iOptron.

• Pug likes this

#15 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:03 PM

The Mach2 is really impressive considering its price vs the 10u here in the US. If I were freshly looking at the premium market now, Id get the Mach 2. My 1100 with encoders works flawlessly, so I'm happy, but the cost is substantially higher.

#16 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:48 AM

A source of information, and a bottom line from it.

Chris Woodhouse in The Astrophotography Manual 2nd edition has a wonderful discussion of the pros and limitations of absolute encoders.  I'd read it, definitely.

One bottom line up front.  Absolute encoders really only make sense for a permanent installation.

Also note that the CEM120EC has only one absolute encoder, and no advanced sky modeling system.  (I believe the CEM120EC2 also lacks advanced sky modeling.)  It's a niche product, and I'm not sure who the niche is.  That will become clearer after you read Woodhouse.  Personally, I went with the CEM60 instead of the EC, even though I could have afforded the EC.

Edited by bobzeq25, 28 May 2019 - 12:53 AM.

• Pug likes this

#17 Arie

Arie

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:31 AM

In the Top line of his thread topic starter states he wants to build a permanent set up..smile.gif

Then absolute encoders make sense (Chris Woodhouse)

#18 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:36 AM

Yes, this would be a future purchase for a perm install, 12 to 18 months...

A lot of good feedback here and elsewhere for the 10micron.  My main hesitation is that for $10k you have a payload of only 55lbs.   Otherwise they look pretty bullet-proof with little or no maintenance required. 

I have read in a couple places now that MyT can have some issues, as has AP.  I guess thats the leap you get with 10um, but for the most part users of Paramount and AP don't have issues.

@Bob, I think the iOptron mounts have high resolution encoders, not absolute... although I'm not sure the impact on imaging WRT the two.  Also, I know imagers who use absolute encoders without perm setup and it made a big difference for them with their imaging.

Part of me wonders if this is just mount envy.  If I can reliably get round stars with a CEM60 and my current scopes, ANY expensive mount would likely not make much of an impact on my image quality.   I will be getting another CEM60 soon to replace my Atlas, and I may opt to get an EC version.  Perhaps that mount would be fine for a future permanent setup unless I decide to get a big scope.   

When doubting a purchase, one should never move forward.  But as I said this is potential purchase for 12 to 18 months out, so this thread is not here to talk me into or out of purchasing anything... just trying to get the lay of the land. 

THanks all for your comments.  Please keep the user experiences coming!  Better than any sales sheet...

• Pug likes this

#19 Arie

Arie

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:15 AM

Chris,

When I started, my first mount was the "new" Zeq25. A weird new thing nobody had ever seen before. But I had lots of enjoyment of that little thing.

Also thanks to all the ground work that was done by Paul Chasse. My second mount was a Ioptron Ieq45pro.

The Cem60 (my dream) was out of my leage in those days. The Ieq45 was a big improvement. Stabillity and accuracy.  Then I could lay my hands on a second hand TDM. Again I consulted Paul Chasse who had one too. That gave me a unmatched accurate RA control. Polar alignment with Polemaster took care of the DEC. I could do unguided imaging! What an experience was that.  When my budget developed a little "belly" it was time for an upgrade. Finally my dream was coming true.

A Ioptron Cem60 it was going to be!

All I needed to do was to find a way to mount the TDM (telescope drive master) to the Cem60 RA axis.

That is where it went south. Nothing was available or could be machined. But I was completely spoiled with the TDM and wanted that performance again. The EC version was still being developed. Now what? I was in a similar situation you are in now.

I investigated many options, but I kept on coming back to a 10micron mount. Boy what a price tag.

Knowing that I will never go up to a scope I cannot carry at my age, the 1000hps was strong enough for me.

But would I ever get sufficient satisfaction out of such an investment? You can do other fun stuff with that money.

Now I am very happy that I made the jump.

This mount simply does not exist. It is not an issue. Just point and shoot. Forget about platesolving. Forget about guiding.

It just works.

My advise: Stick with your Ioptrons for the time being. If you don't mind platesolving and guiding, these mounts perform very well and fulfill your purpose.

When you win a lottery, get yourself a 10micron.

Arie

IMG_1686.JPG

Absolute encoders are connected to the RA and DEC axis. Not to the motors.

If you undo the clutches and slew by hand, the mount still knows where it is pointing.

You can unlock the clutches, change stuff on your telescope, or even take it of and put it back on.

Lock the clutches again and you're ready to go again in any position, without the need for a star alignment.

The mount knows! So easy.

Relative encoders are very accurate encoders but you need to tell them every session once where "home" is. Thereafter they are just as easy as absolute encoders.

Unguided imaging has a serious price tag.

Wether it's worth it to you, you have to judge yourself.

What I know is, that once you've experienced it, you don't wanna go back . . . . 

Edited by Arie, 28 May 2019 - 07:38 AM.

• Tonk, psandelle and bobzeq25 like this

#20 WadeH237

WadeH237

Skylab

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:42 AM

I have read in a couple places now that MyT can have some issues, as has AP.  I guess thats the leap you get with 10um, but for the most part users of Paramount and AP don't have issues.

Nothing is perfect.  I've seen a few threads for 10Micron issues, too.  When you are talking about mounts in this price range, the vast majority of owns are very, very happy with them.  I would not make my purchase decision solely on problem reports.

If I use the GM1000 HPS as the top of the budget range, my personal choice at the moment would be a non-encoder AP1100GTO CP4.  I'm probably a bit biased, since I own one, but it seems like the sweet spot in the Astro-Physics mount lineup.  It is incredibly accurate, and reliable.  It's got capacity that will handle the vast majority of imaging setups that people are likely to use.  And if you want to take it into the field, it's remarkably portable.  With APCC Pro, it's completely configurable and controllable, even with a long distance remote observatory.

I suspect that the Mach2 will be the best Astro-Physics option when it comes out (hopefully this fall).  Based on what we know, I think that it will be a bit less portable than the Mach1, since the belt driven design doesn't allow the axes to separate (although AP has said that they are still thinking about this).  For a permanent installation, this doesn't matter.  Also, anyone who buys one of the first batch will be an early adopter.  I think that being an AP early adopter is much less risk than other brands (I was an early adopter for the AP1600, and haven't regretted it for one second) - but it's still something to consider.

None of the mounts that you are considering are junk.  If you polled owners of Astro-Physics, Paramount, 10Micron and even the CEM120, you'll find lots of happy users (and the occasional curmudgeon).  I suspect you'd be happy with any of them.

• jdupton, rockstarbill, David_Ritter and 2 others like this

#21 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:09 AM

I think you’re underestimating how easy a 10u mount is. The unguided performance is what people say it is; I definitely was skeptical but it works. It’s polar alignment function just works; no Polaris required. Build a model, select the star you want to use. Center with the knobs. It reminds me of Celestron’s all star PA feature; but it works to a very fine level.

I did have an issue with the computer on my mount. They (US dealer) had the computer and it was replaced out of warranty. Considering I wasn’t the first owner, I was pleasantly surprised.

It costs a lot but it works. You won’t regret buying one.
  • Tonk, psandelle, David_Ritter and 2 others like this

#22 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:20 AM

A lot of endorsements for the 10um. What kind of imaging loads have you guys pushed? I know the 1000 is good for 55lbs, which would cover anything I have now, but someday I might go for a longer fl truss or something. Would the mount limit me for heavier loads?

#23 SteveGR

SteveGR

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:22 AM

A source of information, and a bottom line from it.

Chris Woodhouse in The Astrophotography Manual 2nd edition has a wonderful discussion of the pros and limitations of absolute encoders.  I'd read it, definitely.

One bottom line up front.  Absolute encoders really only make sense for a permanent installation.

Also note that the CEM120EC has only one absolute encoder, and no advanced sky modeling system.  (I believe the CEM120EC2 also lacks advanced sky modeling.)  It's a niche product, and I'm not sure who the niche is.  That will become clearer after you read Woodhouse.  Personally, I went with the CEM60 instead of the EC, even though I could have afforded the EC.

Incorrect.  The CEM120EC has zero absolute encoders, it has one relative encoder. The CEM120EC2 has two relative encoders.  In theory, the functional difference isn't that much.  But an absolute will always know where it is, even if you manually move the axes or have a power failure.

Edited by SteveGR, 28 May 2019 - 10:25 AM.

#24 Tonk

Tonk

Cosmos

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:25 AM

I have ~20Kg on my 1000HPS ( the ASA N10 Newtonian + dovetails + camera  in the pic above). You can also see 18kg of counter weights in the pic.

The 2000HPS goes up to 60Kg but you will need an inheritance to get one of those (that's how I scraped together the dough to get one!). I only have ~40Kg on mine.

Edited by Tonk, 28 May 2019 - 10:30 AM.

• psandelle likes this

#25 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:26 AM

A couple of days ago I drove out to my/our observatory site with one of the leaders in the astronomy industry. This person could run any mount they wanted. In fact, I was at his house last week playing with a Hobym. But there is one brand we have found that consistently works for remote imaging and that’s Paramount. I have an ME2 in my obs, he has an ME2 in his personal obs, we were there to install an MX+ in the business obs, and there is a practically new MX going to a very remote obs in southwestern Texas. 

When you look at the build quality of the mount, the ease of assembly, cable management, the Versaplate, software integration, I don’t think any other mount can do as well. I live a good three hour drive away from the site. I run TheSkyX with my Paramount and use CCDAP and Navigator for automation. I check the weather, open the roof, start my plan, and watch Netflix. I do this night, after night, after night, after night... I don’t give it a minute’s thought. I’m able to do this because of the Paramount and TSX. 

And just to throw this in, the system we set up was the MX+, a Pentax 125mm scope, Optec Gemini, and FLI 50100. I ran a 45 target model, did a polar alignment, figured out a couple of guiding parameters in the CCDWARE autoguider calculator, swung over to the Dec zero line in the east, calibrated the guider, slewed to a random spot due east, and with a couple of minor aggression adjustments, was guiding with an error of .06/pixel. In fact, we didn’t have time to do PEC training before we had to start the drive home. So, .06 before PEC. 

Show me a clearly better mount and I’d be the first in line but for the package, you are not going to beat a Paramount. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics