•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

polar alignment scope, orion sirius pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 supertrucker

supertrucker

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: weatherford texas

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:01 PM

hello, i'm new to hobby and have been working my way through the learning curve and it's starting to make sense. and with spring in season it's either cloudy or just really high humidity so i have not had a chance to set up in my yard and test it out. but it gives me more time to learn the equipment. i started working my through polar alignment scope manual. i attached it and calibrated it no problem. with mount level , alignment scope level and R.A circle set on 0 i rotated 180 degree and now its back to the manual to find out why i'm not aligned from 0 to 180 do i need to shift back and forth making fine adjustments like when i calibrated the scope i used a object about 200yrds away to calibrate and align, do i need a more distant object because the manual does not specify. 

#2 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:25 PM

Do you have an autoguider?  If so, you can do PA with it using SharpCap Pro. Fast, easy, cheap, and very accurate.

My Sirius came with the polar scope, it was a neck breaking PITA.  So I got a PoleMaster when they came out.  But the SharpCap method (if you have a guider) is way better than the PoleMaster.

In fact, I have done SharpCap PA with my ED80T CF 80mm f/6 refractor and my ASI071MC Pro camera. 

#3 supertrucker

supertrucker

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:39 PM

No i don't have a autoguider i just got the mount and a 150mm mak and learning how to use it. a autoguider sounds technical what all is needed for that setup?

#4 supertrucker

supertrucker

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:27 PM

okay, so now i have it calibrated and aligned. i just needed to keep rotating back and forth making fine adjustments to zero in on alignment. i took it out to the soccer field parking lot where you can see a power line pole about 1 1/2 miles away i rechecked calibration on scope because the object i first calibrated it with was only about 200 yards away. it took me a while but it's spot on now. now all i need is some clear night skies to try out my new equipment. and by the way for the price, the optics and solid build of this P A S seems to be well worth the price. now to see how well it performs.

• wrvond and ThatsMyCoffee like this

#5 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:35 AM

Now you'll just need an app that tells you what angle to rotate to, before lining up Polaris.

#6 David_Ritter

David_Ritter

Viking 1

• Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:27 AM

The Synscan hand controller can tell you what hour angle to set polaris to in the polar scope. Usually, the hour angle is displayed after the mount reads the GPS (if you have one). If you don't have a GPS, once you enter the time, date and exact location, you can find the hour angle in one of the menus (Utilities, I think).

If you are unsure about what we mean by "hour angle", its is the clock face position that Polaris will appear at in the polar scope if the mount is correctly aligned. Rather than try to confusingly explain this using text and my dubious grammar, if you google it, there are lots of pictures and probably videos too...

• ThatsMyCoffee likes this

#7 supertrucker

supertrucker

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:56 PM

i sat out in the back yard most of the night like a real trooper waiting for the  sky to clear we had high thin clouds and my weather app kept showing that it would clear up. once in a while i would get a good  glimpse of the big dipper overhead  then it would be gone so oh well tomorrow night shows a chance for clear skies maybe i can test out the P A S tomorrow.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics