•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX200 Classic no power

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Harbec

Harbec

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:21 PM

Forgive the "newb" question. Searched and read but no answers that fit my problem - I think. Picked up the LX200 about a year ago and had great fun looking at the planets and moon. Ready for the next step and need the electronics. Short version: plugged in a known good power supply - nothing. No lights no hum no nothing. Opened front panel to check fuse - fuse checks good but ribbon cable unplugged! Plugged ribbon cable - no lights no power. Visually inspected capacitors - no obvious discoloration or swelling. What next?

#2 Harbec

Harbec

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:31 PM

Forgot to mention - keypad plugged in. No lights on keypad or panel

#3 NearVision

NearVision

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:15 PM

A couple of possibilities. First. How comfortable are you with a volt meter and circuitry in general? You need to trace where the power disappears. The obvious culprits are the fuse and power switch. The fuse can be bad without looking blown. I've seen fuses just break the connection for no good reason. It could be a bad contact in the power socket or the R1 resistor could be open. That resistor is the current sensor and goes from the negative socket to system ground. Do you know which version of the LX200 you have? There are schematics available on line but they differ pretty quickly. Basic troubleshooting is to follow the plus and minus leads from the connector until you loose power.

Good luck!

• orion61 likes this

#4 39cross

39cross

Explorer 1

• Loc: Beverly, MA

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:15 AM

The ribbon cable fits tightly, it's unlikely it would come loose on it's own, so that's a sign someone was in there.  Did you ever see it working before you acquired it?  What is your power source, does it have the appropriate sized connector?

One thought, you can buy a new power board for the LX200 classic from one of the members here, you can do an Internet search and find it.  If diagnosing electrical issues isn't a strong point for you, for the cost of the new board vs. your time it might be a good way to start.  I would try what NearVision recommends, if you are up for that.  But if not, we are fortunate that there's an alternative.

#5 Harbec

Harbec

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 May 2019 - 12:39 PM

Finally had time over long weekend. Multimeter showed good power to fuse and none after. Replaced fuse and we have light and Current indication. Powered off and plugged in handset. Power on showed higher Current but no lights on handset. Opened handset to classic indication of blown capacitor and melted ribbon cable. Piffle. Ordering capacitors. Is ribbon cable Meade order?

#6 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Apollo

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 29 May 2019 - 12:44 PM

Finally had time over long weekend. Multimeter showed good power to fuse and none after. Replaced fuse and we have light and Current indication. Powered off and plugged in handset. Power on showed higher Current but no lights on handset. Opened handset to classic indication of blown capacitor and melted ribbon cable. Piffle. Ordering capacitors. Is ribbon cable Meade order?

No.... search the messages in this forum I think someone is making them.  

#7 Harbec

Harbec

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:46 PM

Hmm, Ron Sampson is the name mentioned but I don't see him in the members list. Can someone dm me his email? I appreciate the help. 

#8 NearVision

NearVision

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:29 PM

If you've got a blown cap in the handset I would STRONGLY suggest that you replace all of the caps in the scope. When those tantalum caps blow they can make a mess. And, if 1 is gone, the others can't be far behind.

I don't know of a source for the ribbon cable but if you're good with an iron, you MIGHT be able to jumper the burnt wires. I don't know if it can be done and haven't tried on these. But I have had limited success on other equipment when there were no other options. It ain't pretty or easy, but it's cheaper than a new handset if you can still find one.

Let us know how it goes.

• orion61 likes this

#9 rferrante

rferrante

Clearline Technology Corp.

• Vendors
  • Loc: Orange County, California

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:10 PM

PM'd you Ron's email just now.

#10 Harbec

Harbec

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:29 PM

Thank you sir! Emailed Ron at that address.

#11 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:55 AM

Please let us know how you are coming along. another option is buying the Autostar upgrade...re downgrade, depends who you ask. A new controller for an lx 200 was running about $125.00 the last I checked but it was years ago. Also I do not suggest you use a Meade power supply. I always run mine off of 12 volt dc. The 19 VDC power supplies are not regulated and can spile well ocer 20 volts. That is enough to pop those old caps.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics