•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ceres Easily Found

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dhawn

dhawn

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Santa Barbara, CA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:30 PM

Right now Ceres is in a really easy spot to find, and in fact I was able to view it through 8X40 binoculars last night! I wanted to get a view through my telescope, but by the time it rose enough to see from where my telescope was stationed the clouds had rolled in. If you have never seen this minor planet, take a look once Scorpius has risen. Find Acrab (Graffias), the Easternmost claw of the scorpion. Just to the E are three nearly identical ~4 magnitude stars in a nearly North/South line. Find the small triangle of nearly identical ~7 magnitude "stars" in the middle of the two "top" stars (top meaning Northernmost). The Northernmost "star" of the little triangle is Ceres. 

Although this "triangle" of ~7 mag stars was nearly equilateral last night, it is now more isosceles and will become a neat straight line by Sunday night.

I've seen Ceres before, but it was quite a while ago and not so easy to find. 

• Dave Mitsky, Dartguy, Augustus and 5 others like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the head's up; I'll look the next clear night.

Never saw Ceres before.

#3 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:51 PM

I observed 1 Ceres at opposition six hours after opposition this morning at 0500 UT ( 1:00 AM local time 29 May) with my 12x36 image stabilized binoculars.  Magnitude 7.0 Ceres formed a triangle with phi and chi Oph about 4.5 degrees east of Graffias in Scorpius.  I hope to make another observation soon recording the movement of Ceres and confirming my observation.

Edited by Special Ed, 30 May 2019 - 12:50 PM.

#4 dhawn

dhawn

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Santa Barbara, CA

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:25 PM

Looking forward to seeing it again tonight with the telescope. Have had clouds or unable to get out lately, so I'm curious to see the change in position.

#5 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:32 PM

The dwarf planet/asteroid 1 Ceres (magnitude +7.0) reached opposition in western Ophiuchus on May 28th.  Ceres retrograded into Scorpius shortly thereafter.  A finder chart can be found on page 48 of the May 2019 issue of Sky & Telescope.

Dave Mitsky

#6 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 01 June 2019 - 10:19 AM

I got to see it Thursday night with my 8” SCT and 3” Tak.  Very nice views as it appeared to have a slightly yellowish tint to it.

Bill

• Special Ed likes this

#7 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:45 AM

I made a couple of observations of Ceres recording its movement as it moved out of Oph into Sco.  Report and sketch here.  smile.gif 

#8 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:26 AM

On Monday night, I observed 1 Ceres in Scorpius using my 15x70s and 10" f/4.7 Dob at a dark site.  The highest magnification I employed was 240x, which was not enough for the dwarf planet to appear as a disk. 

Dave Mitsky

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Ceres Monday Night.PNG

#9 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:55 AM

Moving right long, isn't it?  smile.gif 

Aquarellia  saw the disk at 833x with his 10" scope--he made this drawing.

• Dave Mitsky likes this

#10 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:06 AM

I observed 1 Ceres again last night from the orange-zone Naylor Observatory using the ASH 17" classical Cassegrain and a 10" Orion Dob belonging to a fellow ASH member.  Ceres has moved to the southwest of where it was when I observed it on the night of June 3rd.  I was not able to see it through my 12x50s.

Dave Mitsky

Attached Thumbnails

• Ceres Saturday Night.PNG

#11 SabiaJD

SabiaJD

Viking 1

• Loc: Clarks Summit, PA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:48 AM

This thread was helpful to me to get out and try to locate Ceres last night , June 23, 2019 EDT.   Had hope to view Ceres using  10 X 50 binoculars from a dark site location, but cloudy skies or moonlight put a damper on it. Or I forgot to pack my binocular !

Using a printed chart from Guide 9.1, after updating  the outdated MPCORB file, and 10 X 50 binoculars, I set out to locate Ceres from my new city location. Not far from the location I grew up in.  The low humid condition last night was in my favor. From the front porch of my home Scorpius was located to the left and well above the local trees and street light, the only street light on the road at an intersection. It did not interfere with my observation.

Once the scale of the my map's FOV to match  my view of  10 X 50 binoculars, and dark adapted setting in I started to locate the dimmer stars above the star Jabbah and Graffias. 

The two  6.4 and 6.8 were first to standout, followed by the 7.0. Continued to view these until I could finally hold the 7.4 without averted vision.  These stars were spread out in a left to right zig- zag pattern above Jabbah and Graffias.

Ceres was located in a space void of stars 7.5 or brighter to the right of the last 6.8 magnitude star in that zig- zag chain of stars. Ceres was seen in that region of space by averted vision at first, then I could view it directly easily after a few minutes. I admit that I had my doubts that I would be able to see Ceres from this location in the city, but happy that the night provided an chance to succeed.

Now I'm waiting for another clear night to confirm my observation.

Scranton, PA

• Special Ed likes this

#12 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:20 AM

Did it have a yellowish color when you both saw it?  I thought I could see some when I viewed it earlier this month.

Bill

#13 SabiaJD

SabiaJD

Viking 1

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:13 AM

I did not see any color of Ceres when viewed with 10 x 50 binoculars. Just glad the light pollution from the city , at transparency of the night at least allowed to see it with the small aperture binoculars.

Still waiting for next clear sky to repeat the view, maybe tonight. (shh, don't upset the cloud god, Mewannasee.)smile.gif

#14 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:34 PM

I observed 1 Ceres last night (6/27) at the Star Quest with my 12x26 IS binoculars and my ST120mm refractor.  Ceres was about 2* NE of Graffias in a star poor region and relatively easy to spot.  I couldn't see any color.

#15 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:47 PM

Just realized I don't have Ceres on my "seen" list yet... will attempt it tonight!

#16 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:35 AM

I observed Ceres again tonight here from Green Bank, WV through a neighbor's pair of Oberwerks 100mm binoculars at 25x.  It hadn't moved very much from last night's position.  According to the MPC, it's moving at .035 arcseconds per minute.

• SabiaJD likes this

#17 SabiaJD

SabiaJD

Viking 1

Posted 28 June 2019 - 12:41 PM

Well , I did get a clear skies last night, but sky transparency was poor.  Still using my original printed chart from Guide 9.1 of 6  degree FOV, with star magnitude labeled down to 7.5 mag.

I could still see the 5 zig - zag line of stars above Jabbah and Graffias. The background sky was much brighter, making it difficult to hold the 7.48 mag star. 

Ceres was not seen in the spot I found it on June 23, 2019.  Continued to scan to the right of the of the last position, and getting more dark adapted, I was able to pick out a star that would be in the right position for Ceres. Not easy to keep in insight all times, due to the poor transparency.

Checking Guide 9.1 afterwards showed Ceres in that position, with no other stars nearby. Yea.

May have a chance again tonight from a darker sky location. 

• Special Ed likes this

#18 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

Posted 29 June 2019 - 09:24 AM

Conditions clear and fairly transparent last night here at the Green Bank Star Quest--the DSO people were very happy--so I looked at Ceres again with my ST120.  It continues to inch west NE of Graffias in an area free of stars of its magnitude or brighter as John reports so it's easy to spot (using a chart like the PSA).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics