•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SynScan Ver. 3 questions about firmware update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thinairflyer

thinairflyer

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:01 PM

I've searched about but am not too familiar with the SynScan but think I know that the SynScan I recently received with the SkyView Pro GoTo upgrade kit is not one that can accept a firmware update but would like to see if my conclusions are correct.

If I check the firmware ver. in 'Utility' it shows 'SynScan EQ Ver. 03.23'.

If I put the HC in Update mode it shows:  'SynScan Update Ver.  1.3'   Is this the Ver. number that indicates the firmware can't be updated?  What is this ver. number referring to?

From Orion there is a ver.  'v3_39_05.ssf firmware for the Ver. 3 controller which I have by looking at the pictures of the various model controllers.

If I use the firmware loader v3.3 it finds the serial comm port (3) and says trying to connect to a SynScan but then fails to connect with the SynScan in update mode.  I am using the cable on a serial port of my desktop.

Thanks for info.

#2 jdupton

jdupton

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:57 PM

thinairflyer,

The version number messages are confusing. If the SynScan Hand Control says Version 3.23, then that is the version of the firmware loaded into the Hand Control. As you note, the latest is Version 3.39.05 of the firmware.

I think the message you see from update attempt (Ver. 1.3) is the internal level of the Updater program and not that of the operational firmware.

I don't have my update instructions in front of me at the moment but think you connect the Hand Control to mount and PC, power it up while pressing the "magic keys" on the Hand Control and then start the Updater on the PC. If the cable and COM port settings are correct, then it should connect for the update procedure.

John

#3 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the latest firmware revision. I just completed it. Wow....my HEQ5-Pro with SynScan is 11 years old now and I can still get hand controller firmware updates....remarkable. I got the version 4 handset when there were issues with PHD2 guiding. I didn't like the Version 4 (wrapped up in bubble plastic) and went back to it when the next firmware revision fixed the guiding issue. The reason I went back to the VERSION 3 Handset was/is:

1. You don't have to power though the mount to get to the handset to do the firmware revisions...you can do it with just the hand controller, small 12V power supply and the computer.

2. On the Version 4, you get no confirmation beep at the end of a slew. With the Version 3 you do get a confirmation beep.

My 2 cents worth.

#4 thinairflyer

thinairflyer

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:02 PM

I searched and searched and only found one cable for sale that was correct for the SynScan hand controller connection to a computer:

https://www.ebay.co....4?ul_noapp=true

Orion will not sell you a replacement cable unless you can document that the controller was purchased new from them or at least document that the person you bought the controller from had bought it new from Orion. Skywatcher cables that will work are not for

I ordered a usb to serial adaptor with a CH340 chip and it absolutely would not work.  When I was working as an electronic tech and we needed such an adaptor we had endless trouble with the CH340 models.

I returned it and ordered one with a Prolific chip:

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and it worked immediately with Windows 10 and connected with a cable I finally made myself rather than wait for one from the UK.

The firmware update then went very smoothly and quickly with the Prolific usb to serial adaptor and my homemade cable.

#5 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:48 AM

I searched and searched and only found one cable for sale that was correct for the SynScan hand controller connection to a computer:

https://www.ebay.co....4?ul_noapp=true

Orion will not sell you a replacement cable unless you can document that the controller was purchased new from them or at least document that the person you bought the controller from had bought it new from Orion. Skywatcher cables that will work are not for

I ordered a usb to serial adaptor with a CH340 chip and it absolutely would not work.  When I was working as an electronic tech and we needed such an adaptor we had endless trouble with the CH340 models.

I returned it and ordered one with a Prolific chip:

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and it worked immediately with Windows 10 and connected with a cable I finally made myself rather than wait for one from the UK.

The firmware update then went very smoothly and quickly with the Prolific usb to serial adaptor and my homemade cable.

Yes, the Prolific is the chipset that I have been using for the last 11 years.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics