•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Awesome Custom Adapter for Quantum 6- A question?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ericcurry

Ericcurry

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:18 PM

Hi All:

I hade a machinist create a beautiful adapter that attaches to the Axiel Port of my Quantum 6 in place of the plug.

In the photos you can see the opened Axiel Port is a fraction over 1.5" wide.

My new aluminum adapter has an inside opening of 1.25" wide.

My question is:   Is my current opening too narrow?

I can have the inside shaft milled out to be  more opened still  ( It could grow by 1/4 " or more  if needed) , but do not want to do so if it is not necessary.

Any idea how to test, or does anybody know?

Currently the inside shaft walls of the adapter are 1/8" thick.  The can be 1/16" thick if needed.

There is also a photo of Baader Clicklock attached to the custom adapter.

All in all it will be a sweet ride.......

Eric

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0096.jpg
  • IMG_0093.jpg
  • IMG_0095.jpg
  • IMG_0062.jpg

#2 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:27 PM

The light cone reflected off  the secondary is the largest are the secondary and converges from there.  If the diameter of the secondary  is  equal to or smaller 1.25", the light cone at the axial port is smaller than that. You can also look at the diameter of the baffle tube, the light cone is smaller than that as well.

- Dave 

#3 Ericcurry

Ericcurry

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:19 AM

So far it seems to work pretty well.  Here is my scope with the Bino attached.  I have not made more mods on the adapter yet or painted the inside shaft black but it seems OK.   I am not overly impressed with the apparent softness of the image but that might be a function of in appropriate eyepieces.  I have a lot to learn still.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0123.jpg

#4 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:10 AM

Eric,

Re: The Baader clicklock you use - Is that the Schmidt-Cass screw on version?

Peter

#5 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:28 AM

The possible reason for the soft image is that when you focused you move the primary forward by a fair amount to move the focal plane back so the image would come to focus in the binoviewers.  That changes the optical correction of the system and adds spherical aberration. There is only one spacing between the primary and secondary that results in the best optical correction. You have that spacing or very close to it when your observing an object at infinity and with the eyepieces in the standard location or using a camera with the correct length adapter on the axial port. 

- Dave  

• rcwolpert likes this

#6 Ericcurry

Ericcurry

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:33 PM

Yes it is a Baader click lock, so far it works like a dream

i went back to the machinist and had him open up the central thannel by 1/8" , it was also painted black.  It's killer looking and super solid.

regarding focus, I'm looking forward to finally using my binoviewer while looking at the moon in a few days.

i will be able to actually test it compared to the spectacular views I have had previously with the moon and a single eye piece.

i have also read that by using a corrector or glass path it will make the image sharper.   I will hold off on new stuff until I can see what's happening.

thanks for the insight

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics