•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SGP and Camera Gain/Offset

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Doug N

Doug N

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:15 PM

Is there a way in SGP to set different gains and offsets for each filter?

Thanks.

#2 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:26 PM

Yes.  In the sequence panel, click on the little gear icon on the left side of each event and select Event Settings.  Depending on your camera, you will be able to set the gain and/or offset there, separately for each event.

NewItem436.png

SGPro.JPG.3ee028b2b0636eb721e6e215f85aa1

-Ara

• H-Alfa, Doug N, Jon Rista and 1 other like this

#3 H-Alfa

H-Alfa

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:38 AM

Wow! Is this new on the new version of SGP or its specific for ZWO cameras?

Enviado desde mi ANE-LX1 mediante Tapatalk

#4 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:56 AM

Wow! Is this new on the new version of SGP or its specific for ZWO cameras?

With a ZWO camera you can set both gain and offset.  With a QHY camera you can set gain only.  This has been around for a while now.  

#5 H-Alfa

H-Alfa

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:47 AM

OK. Thank you. I saw that the QHY was able to set the gain and I expected that the sgp stuff was able to do the same with the offset. Not luck for qhy users yet...

#6 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:10 AM

I have to say, I own the ZWO 1600MM-Cool and SGP does not let me set the offset in the event, only the gain.  The offset can only be set at the camera level for some reason.  I know and I have seen others with a 1600 who can set the offset in the event, so I don't know if this a version thing with the camera.

-Ara

#7 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

• Vendors

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:50 AM

I have to say, I own the ZWO 1600MM-Cool and SGP does not let me set the offset in the event, only the gain.  The offset can only be set at the camera level for some reason.  I know and I have seen others with a 1600 who can set the offset in the event, so I don't know if this a version thing with the camera.

-Ara

I believe that means you are using the ASCOM driver and not the ZWO native driver.  SGP added native support for ZWO cameras which has access to both gain and offset.  ASCOM does not yet allow access to offset. 

Whatever driver you are using in the camera setup, try using a different ZWO or ASI camera driver in the list and see if that gets you the offset.

• cfosterstars likes this

#8 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

• Vendors

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:51 AM

OK. Thank you. I saw that the QHY was able to set the gain and I expected that the sgp stuff was able to do the same with the offset. Not luck for qhy users yet...

Offset really isn't all that critical.  I use one offset for both LRGB and narrowband with my QHY cameras.  I set it and forget it.

#9 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:57 AM

I believe that means you are using the ASCOM driver and not the ZWO native driver.  SGP added native support for ZWO cameras which has access to both gain and offset.  ASCOM does not yet allow access to offset. 

Whatever driver you are using in the camera setup, try using a different ZWO or ASI camera driver in the list and see if that gets you the offset.

Exactly,

I have you both the native and the ASCOM. The ASCOM allows you to set the gain only and the Native will allow you to set the gain and offset. I use the same offset for all setting at 40 just to be simple so both work fine. You can also set both with the ASCOM driver when you connect he camera. This is the default and will only be changed if you set up the sequence events to alter them. If you dont set them in the sequence events then you will not be able to add the gain and/or offset setting to the file name since if you try it will return "not set" into the file name.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics