•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Evolution 8 tracking problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 descott12

descott12

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:37 PM

Hello all,

I have had my Evo 8 for about 6 months and tracking has really been quite good until recently. I noticed about a month ago that the tracking was actually quite poor all of a sudden. My target (star, moon, sun) would often drift out of the FOV in a matter of seconds (5-30 seconds variably).

After scouring this forum I decided to update the firmware and I went to the latest version from HC 5.29.6226 and mount 7.13.7125 and, like magic, my tracking is dead on.  I tested with Spica at 43 alt and Arcturus at 69 alt and it was perfect.

I am not sure if the firmware update fixed something or what but definitely something to consider if you are having problems.

So why did the problem develop in the first place? No clue except for the fact that I started doing solar viewing a month or two ago and that uses the solar tracking mode instead of sidereal so my only guess is that the mount was getting confused about which mode it should be in. But that is just a guess.

In any case, I hope this helps somebody and maybe avoids a needless shipment back to Celestron.

#2 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:35 PM

That's a very good question.  My firmware has never been updated, but a couple of times when I experienced issues, I've had to do a reset and that resolved it.  Last night I had my EVO out and everything was spot on and I must have slewed to about 20 objects before I called it a night as my neighbors lights impacted my viewing.  But I can tell you I pay particular attention to how accurate I balance out the tripod and balance out the scope and run the goto calibration as I often put other scopes on this mount.  

Gary

#3 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:55 PM

Set up care is the key with the Evolution. It's precise metal worm gears will deliver the rest.

I use Starsense and take great care with calibration and adding additional alignment points. I have now also reverted back to my wedge, which I had abandoned during the "Starsense on wedge bug" era (now fixed).

What makes the Evolution so good is its subtle attention to detail. Four AUX ports, two above the point of rotation means cable management is a delight. The Starsense HC and camera will work in any AUX port. By comparison, the SE8 is a nightmare to add accessories, as it requires multiple AUX port splitters. Simply affixing the HC is tricky.

Ruled marks on the tripod legs assist with levelling. You are supplied with a tiny bubble spirit level. Having no AA battery box (yet a proper internal battery) means better clearance to the zenith. The Evolution is well worth its higher price. 

• lenrabinowitz likes this

#4 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:11 AM

I've used mine to get on a star in front of a star that is about to be occulted by an asteroid and let the star drift through the field (while taking a picture). If you turn the tracking 'off' it will still goto where ever you want, but once it gets on source it will just stop and sit there -- even with the motors still making grunting and clicking noises. If it happens again look in the settings and make sure it is still set to sidereal or whatever. I seem to remember mine slipping to off speed once or twice a while back. It wasn't MY fault. I didn't do it. :)

#5 Lemonhawk

Lemonhawk

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Harbor, FL

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:59 PM

Are you using an HC or Skyfari/portal.  

#6 descott12

descott12

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:34 AM

skyportal

#7 lenrabinowitz

lenrabinowitz

Vanguard

• Loc: Risa

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:19 AM

You might try SkySafari.  A little more robust of an app.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics