•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DeLite vs Pentax XW

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:07 PM

I've seen quite a few topics recently on the Delos vs Pentax XW, Delos vs Morpheus vs XW, Ethos vs Delos vs DeLite, and so on. But how about the DeLite vs the Pentax XW going head to head [field of view out of the equation]? What's special about the DeLites? I've seen others mention it being the best TeleVue has to offer [FOV not a factor]. Head to head vs XW, who wins in all categories? [Sharpness, brightness, contrast, ease of use, eye relief, deep sky, planetary, lunar] 

#2 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:13 PM

The winner is the observer....

• Astrojensen, Procyon, oldphysics and 1 other like this

#3 25585

Soyuz

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:41 PM

For 7mm and below, the Delites might beat XWs for comfort. But not Morpheus.

Against Vixen LVW they are equal for comfort. AFA performance, they have the edge though, 22mm LVW apart which ties with the 18.2 Delite.

#4 Traveler

Traveler

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:57 PM

I already own Pentax XW's for some years (10 years or something). The DeLite came later on the market.Back then the choice was between XW's versus Naglers. The Naglers are wider but not as comfortable as the XW so i decides to buy the XW's. Now, I don't feel the need to change the for me, perfect XW's. They are really perfect...

I don't know what i would do when i was now on the market and have to make a choice between the XW's and the Delites. I think the choice between the two is more a matter of comfort/ergonomics (personal taste) then light throughput or other objective specs. Audi vs Merc's comes in mind. 

• F.Meiresonne, Procyon and 25585 like this

#5 25585

Soyuz

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:59 PM

BMW v Mercs ;)

• F.Meiresonne and Jaimo! like this

#6 Traveler

Traveler

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:14 AM

I often don't like BMW drivers... thats why Audi wink.gif

• Jaimo! and Procyon like this

#7 Aleko

Aleko

Apollo

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:55 AM

I've seen quite a few topics recently on the Delos vs Pentax XW, Delos vs Morpheus vs XW, Ethos vs Delos vs DeLite, and so on. But how about the DeLite vs the Pentax XW going head to head [field of view out of the equation]? What's special about the DeLites? I've seen others mention it being the best TeleVue has to offer [FOV not a factor]. Head to head vs XW, who wins in all categories? [Sharpness, brightness, contrast, ease of use, eye relief, deep sky, planetary, lunar] 

I've only done direct comparison when viewing the sun through an NP101 fitted with a Lunt Solar Wedge. Sunspots at times can be quite complex and exhibit a wealth of detail when seeing permits. Both the XWs and the Delites provide excellent contrast and sharp views, but I find I can usually pull out a tiny bit more detail with the XWs. (Isn't that what it's all about?) Both are comfortable with plenty of eye relief, but again the edge goes to the XW, as I prefer it's eyecup.  I do love the lighter weight and smaller form of the Delites.  You can't go wrong with either line. 

As always YMMV, depending on the scope, and one's own eyes. 

• rkelley8493 likes this

#8 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:23 AM

I've only done direct comparison when viewing the sun through an NP101 fitted with a Lunt Solar Wedge. Sunspots at times can be quite complex and exhibit a wealth of detail when seeing permits. Both the XWs and the Delites provide excellent contrast and sharp views, but I find I can usually pull out a tiny bit more detail with the XWs. (Isn't that what it's all about?) Both are comfortable with plenty of eye relief, but again the edge goes to the XW, as I prefer it's eyecup.  I do love the lighter weight and smaller form of the Delites.  You can't go wrong with either line. 

As always YMMV, depending on the scope, and one's own eyes. 

Well said Alex waytogo.gif

#9 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:20 AM

I see you have a Nagler 17 and 22mm. I read a report a while ago by ED Ting or one of his buddies up north, that one of these two forgot which one was the best eyepiece ever made, period! That was before Delos and others with newer designs. One of the Astronomy magazines tested a Delos and coul not find one thing negative about it. Said it was as perfect as one can get. Not sure how he stands on the Pentax XW.  Sooner or later when I seel some stuff, I'll try one of the XW's I think. I'm reading to much over these by this forum and I'm starting to drool lol.gif

• Procyon and rkelley8493 like this

#10 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:55 AM

Delos vs XW, Ethos vs XW, Delite vs XW, Nikon Nav vs XW.....theres a pattern forming here.  Not bad for an eyepiece that predates the competition.  I wonder where we would be had Pentax stayed in the astro business?

• Traveler, Sarkikos, Astrojensen and 3 others like this

#11 jakecru

jakecru

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern Nevada, USA

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:08 PM

I haven't tried a DeLite. The DeLite does give you a lighter weight eyepiece and a slightly less expensive price point. That said, if it were my money, i'd choose the XWs in the 5,7, 10 mm focal lengths. The DeLites could make a pretty neat little planetary set to compliment a larger widefield set in a little camera pelican case (3,4,5, 7 mm). grin.gif

#12 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:15 PM

Delos vs XW, Ethos vs XW, Delite vs XW, Nikon Nav vs XW.....theres a pattern forming here.  Not bad for an eyepiece that predates the competition.  I wonder where we would be had Pentax stayed in the astro business?

I think the 30XW and 40XW might be less expensive and easier to find. lol.gif 

I have all of the XWs and the shorter DeLites - as well as a full set of Delos.  There is very little difference in any of these as far as I can tell.  The eyepieces I select for any given night depend on the scope and my observational goals for the evening.  I am happy with all of them.

Cheers,

Ron

• Sarkikos, Procyon, Aleko and 2 others like this

#13 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:11 PM

It is funny because I think every competitor mentioned above is legitimately better than the XW's in some respect and I would throw the Morpheus into the mix as well.  However, if you are talking about an all around eyepiece line that still does really well with all observing targets and physical/optical characteristics - the XW might be the best in terms of versatility and being universally useful. 

#14 213Cobra

213Cobra

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California, USA

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:52 PM

I have all the XWs 20mm and shorter, and all the DeLites except for the 11mm. I bought the XWs before the DeLites and was very impressed with them in isolation. Once I had both, wherever focal lengths are same or close, I haven't found any instance where DeLite aren't preferred (by me) over XW. I see consistently greater contrast in Delites, particularly. It's not a large advantage, but a noticeable one. If I were making a decision between the two today, I would be sans XW. An added advantage is that all the DeLite eyepieces perfectly host DioptRx. You can install DioptRx on an XW, but it's kludgy and if you want to avoid mishaps, the DioptRx has to be installed tightly on the XW, so that to find the right correction angle, the whole eyepiece has to be rotated in a loosened diagonal, rather than the DeLite secure in the diagonal with the DioptRx rotatable.

The extra AFOV in XW isn't unappreciated, but on balance, it's not actionable to me. I have Nagler and Takahashi UW for more AFOV when I want it. DeLites are all but ortho in their clarity and resolution. Result is that my XW are retained as "guest" eyepieces, since all my Televues have DioptRx mounted, for me.

Phil

• Mike W, Sarkikos, russell23 and 2 others like this

#15 25585

Soyuz

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:12 PM

Wearing glasses, for each, I have the eyecups fully down.

Delites, like Vixen LVWs & Baader Morpheus, have their eye lenses near the top, so they give that few millimeters extra proximity & therefore more effective eye relief.

#16 mcolbert

mcolbert

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Adelong NSW Australia

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:49 PM

why is it that Dave Bowman's line comes to mind?  (My God, it's full of eyepieces!). Or something like that. ;). Apologies to Kubrick and Clarke.

#17 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Vostok 1

• Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:00 PM

I have owned a Delite 4 and XW 3.5 and I would say that it's a very close call... 

• BradFran and Jond105 like this

#18 Jond105

Jond105

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Detroit

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:26 PM

I have owned a Delite 4 and XW 3.5 and I would say that it's a very close call... 

This was an extremely helpful comment as I’ve still been on the hunt for a good 3mm-4mm range eyepiece with my scope. With a comment like that I know take the cheaper of the 2 price points and I’ll be happy. Anything over 60 degrees works for me. 

• rkelley8493 likes this

#19 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:51 AM

I had all the XW's except the 14, 30 and 40.  The 20 showed too much FC in a 10" f/4.8 Dob for my eyes to accommodate.  The 10, 7, 5 and 3.5 were great.  But I've sold all my XW's.  I've gone on to other eyepiece that are either better performers or have other characteristics that make them a better fit for me. 

At this point, the only XW's I would think about acquiring are the 30 and 40.  But the rarity of their popping up and the high prices prevent me.

Mike

#20 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:36 AM

The XWs and DeLites are both world-class optically.  Any differences in the view are really at the nuance-level so not something to hang your hat on.  Where they differ in a meaningful way is in AFOV, build, build ergonomics, focal length choices, and of course price.  FWIW I had the full set of XWs prior to reviewing the DeLites.  After my review of them I liked them, but was not compelled to get them to either replace or supplement my XWs. If I had neither and was choosing between the two, for the $50 street price difference of a new XW, I would go with the XWs.  However, I could see if I was new to the game building a stall with the 3, 4, 5 DeLites, then the 10, 14, 20 XWs (or 9, 12, 17.5 Morpheus), and a 2.5x Powermate.  So basically the wider field XWs with 2.5 Powermate for all DSO needs, and the DeLites for Lunar/Planetary.

FWIW, I use the Paracorr on my 10" Dob so and FC in the 14 and 20 XW never comes to my attention...nor does it in my Apos.  So I am as happy as a clam with all the XW focal lengths.

Edited by BillP, 25 May 2019 - 10:36 AM.

• John Huntley, John Gauvreau, Sarkikos and 5 others like this

#21 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:08 AM

The ability to accommodate for FC in a telescope system varies among individuals.  To my eyes observing with a 10" f/4.8 Dob, the FC in the 20 XW was unacceptable, some of the worst FC I'd ever seen.  This was even when used in a Paracorr, and even when setting the focuser between center of field and edge of field.  I see the FC and can't unsee it. 

Moreover, when I see substantial FC from an eyepiece, I have to accept a field that is almost sharp from center to edge, sharp only at center, or sharp only at edge. There is no good compromise for me.

Other than the FC, the 20 XW is a great eyepiece.  If someone wants a great 20mm eyepiece, let them try the 20 XW for themselves and see if their eyes - and their telescope - are able to accommodate the FC.  I couldn't.

I sold the shorter focal length XW's - 10, 7, 5 and 3.5 - because I acquired a Lecia Zoom, XO's and Ethos.  Those eyepieces gave me respectively more convenience, greater sharpness and a much wider field of view.  Sometimes I think about buying the XW's again, but then remember the reasons I replaced them.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 25 May 2019 - 11:24 AM.

• BillP likes this

#22 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:14 PM

I used to own a few Pentax XWs and while they were excellent my Morphies are as good or possibly better.  The DeLites are great but have a narrower field which could be an issue deoending on your scope and use cases.  All three are great eyepices, I just like the Morphies combination of eye relief, AFOV and overall optical performance. 

• rkelley8493 likes this

#23 25585

Soyuz

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:08 PM

Owning a Vixen LVW 22mm and 17.5mm Morpheus, I was not tempted to try the XW 20mm. As the image below shows, all 3 have close TFoV.

Delite 18.2mm has less, but the ep's smaller size makes it good for bino and small scope viewing, same as for the Nikon 17.5 SW.

Attached Thumbnails

• astronomy_tools_fov (44).png

Edited by 25585, 25 May 2019 - 01:08 PM.

• BillP and Dmitrek like this

#24 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Skylab

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:17 PM

FWIW, the Morpheus 17.5 also suffers from some field curvature. . . though not as much as 20 XW.

I'm always impressed by people who can logically choose to get rid of the XWs. I entirely agree with all the deficits, I just can't sell the buggers b/c they're just so nice to use.

Past couple of nights has given me a few hours on Jupiter and a bit of Saturn. Using a 8" F7 (with paracorr 2) comparing XWs with Leica. . . Leica gives a better view with less lateral color across the field. Leica also barlows nicely with Nikon 1.6. 

The XWs to my eye give a very slightly grainy appearance to Jupiter and Saturn, as well as softer pastel kinds of colors compared with Leica.

So I do think the XWs tend to be better DSO eyepieces than planetary.

One of these days I'll try a Delite . . .

• John Huntley, Sarkikos and BradFran like this

#25 X3782

X3782

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: ---

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:34 PM

Comparing the XW 7 mm and Delite 7 mm in a 4 inch/F9 refractor and 6 inch/F8 Newtonian, I think the XW has very slightly higher sharpness across the field. I can't distinguish between the two in terms of contrast. I'm not so sensitive about comfort or eye relief.

But if FOV were not a factor and if I were only interested in on-axis sharpness and contrast, I would choose a 30-50 degree field dedicated 3 to 5 element eyepiece instead of these two.

• BradFran likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics