•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is anyone else following this starlink deployment?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:35 PM

True, but....

There are other companies that have plans to do similar deployments.  We have to remember, this guy shot a car into space for "fun".

He had to put up something.  Is there anything else that you think would have been more "appropriate" for a high-risk test shot?

Whatever case you're trying to make, referencing irrelevancies doesn't help it.

#27 Jitou

Jitou

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:50 AM

We are a the dawn of a satellite frenzy launch because new countries get the technology to do it and will want to have their own space implantation program. This is very unfortunate for us and without consequencies for the rest of the world. I am also concerned of all the garbage we are sending to the moon as well : Chandrayaan, Chang'e, Yutu,  Beresheet, what next ?

I wonder if someone knows what is the critical number of satellites orbiting earth before they will all crash against each other ?

#28 Jitou

Jitou

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:54 AM

We are a the dawn of a satellite frenzy launch because new countries get the technology to do it and will want to have their own space implantation program. This is very unfortunate for us and without consequencies for the rest of the world. I am also concerned of all the garbage we are sending to the moon as well : Chandrayaan, Chang'e, Yutu,  Beresheet, what next ?

I wonder if someone knows what is the critical number of satellites orbiting earth before they will all crash against each other ?

#29 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• topic starter
  • Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:26 PM

I read an article earlier today that apparently 3 of the deployed have been non responsive and not sure what that means as far if they attained their designated LEO or not.  I guess that not too bad a failure rate given these are small satellites?  Mention also of the 5 year de orbit and increasing de orbiting 'space junk'.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics