•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2" eyepieces to add?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 B. Hebert

B. Hebert

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:05 AM

Over the years I have picked up a small collection of miscellaneous 2" eyepieces:

SWA 38 mm Fov 70 °

OPT Superview 42 mm

unknown 32 mm Ultra Wide Hybrid

I was searching for the ultimate wide field experience with these eyepieces.  Now, I am realizing that these were just random purchases but might be the start of an interesting 2" eyepiece collection.

Does anyone have any recommendations for shorter fl eyepieces that won't break my meager bank and are worth the consideration for performance in my Dobs (8" and 10")?

• Procyon and aeajr like this

#2 Mick Christopher

Mick Christopher

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:33 AM

I have a Televue 12mm type 4 that I really enjoy viewing through with my 10" Dob, it has both a 2" and 1 1/4" barrel. The FoV is wide enough I could almost use it as a finder piece too.

• Procyon likes this

#3 Jond105

Jond105

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Detroit

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:56 AM

Depends what you mean by break the bank. My ES82 30, 24, and 18 were lovely in the 10” dob I used to have. I started with the 24 and 18. Either would more than likely satisfy you. Used, they aren’t that expensive. 

• Procyon and Tdesert63 like this

#4 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Aurora

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:05 AM

I use a 24 ES 82 in my 10” newt.

There are not any cheap 2” wide field eyepieces that perform well at F5. AT Titan II ED and TMB Paragon were considered good for the price.

Scott
  • Jon Isaacs and Procyon like this

#5 Studly

Studly

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:47 PM

I have a Meade Series 5000 UWA 20mm that is an excellent ocular in my 10-inch Dob.

• spaceoddity and ShaulaB like this

#6 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:11 PM

Over the years I have picked up a small collection of miscellaneous 2" eyepieces:

SWA 38 mm Fov 70 °

OPT Superview 42 mm

unknown 32 mm Ultra Wide Hybrid

I was searching for the ultimate wide field experience with these eyepieces.  Now, I am realizing that these were just random purchases but might be the start of an interesting 2" eyepiece collection.

Does anyone have any recommendations for shorter fl eyepieces that won't break my meager bank and are worth the consideration for performance in my Dobs (8" and 10")?

A little guidance would help.  

What do you consider a reasonable price for an eyepiece?   $100?   $200?  $300?  More?

For my Single FL 1.25” eyepieces  I have the Meade and ES 82s.   Like them very much  These are used in my 12" and 8" Dobs, 5" Mak, 100 mm Newtonian and two 80 mm refractors. 

Meade 82 degree
https://www.astronom...pieces_c75.aspx

Explore Scientific 68 degree and 82 degree line.  I have two of the 82 degree and really like them.  Many reports compare these favorably with the premium eyepieces.
https://agenaastro.c...scientific.html

THE ZOOM EYEPIECE INSTEAD OF SINGLE FOCAL LENGTH EYEPIECES – This is my favorite eyepiece. 

TIGHT BUDGET? – Get a zoom and a barlow     An 8-24 mm zoom eyepiece plus a barlow somewhere between 2X and 3X will give you almost the full typical range for as little as $100. Add one or two low power wide view eyepieces and you have that full range.

The zoom is single eyepiece that effectively replaces a range of eyepieces.  Works like the zoom lens on a camera.   For example an 8 mm to 24 mm zoom would overlap 4 eyepieces above and provide every magnification between them.  If I include a 2X barlow for use with the zoom it will provide every magnification from 50X to 300X without gaps, my primary planning range.

The zoom sounds great, but there is a trade-off.  The field of view of the zoom runs from a narrower AFOV at the 24 mm range to a wider FOV at the 8 mm range.  So, like any approach, the zoom is a compromise.  I find that compromise quite acceptable when weighed against the benefits listed below, I prefer the zoom. 

I use the Baader Hyperion Zoom.  8-24 mm as my only eyepiece in the midrange and I barlow it to extend it to the high range for the XT8.  But as I have a low power wide view 20 mm eyepiece I tend to use the zoom mostly in the 18 mm to 8 mm range for the midrange.  

Lower cost zoom – Celestron 8-24 – This was my first zoom.  Works well at the price and a good way to test your interest in zooms. $66
Higher priced Zoom – Baader Hyperion 8-24 mm – My main eyepiece in my Orion XT8i – $290
https://agenaastro.c...lanetarium.html

• I never expected the zoom eyepiece to become my primary eyepiece, but it has.
  • With a zoom, the eyepiece seems to disappear as you just move in and out at will, no swapping, no thinking about eyepiece changes
  • The Celestron 8-24 zoom is good and comparable to my Plossl eyepieces
  • The Baader Hyperion is great and comparable to my Explore Scientific eyepieces
  • Watching doubles split as I rotate the barrel is wonderful
  • One filter serves over a wide range of magnifications, no screwing and unscrewing to try other eyepieces
  • Moving smoothly between small changes in magnification helps when seeing is not the best
  • I am always working at the optimum magnification for this target.
  • Sharing the view with others is easier, especially in my manual tracking Dob - I hand it over at low mag so it stays in the view longer.  They zoom back in to whatever magnification works best for them.
  • My eyepiece case has been greatly simplified
  • Kids love the zoom

When I observe, 90% of the time, in all of my scopes, I use one or two low power, then the zoom for the midrange.  Then I barlow the zoom for the high range if I need it, and that is all I use.  I have single FL eyepieces in my kit, but they are rarely used.

• Piero DP and Ihtegla Sar like this

#7 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:14 PM

12mm T4 Nagler would probably work great. So would a 17mm or 22mm T4.

If you sell an eyepiece or two and add your budget as well, you can find a 5.5mm ES 100º eyepiece in the classifieds on this site. Otherwise a 4.5, 6.5 and 9/12.5mm Morpheus new or used, 72º field, sharp and all come with 2" extensions which you can leave on permanently. Look around you never know what you can find. All these are quality eyepieces.

Edited by Procyon, 24 May 2019 - 07:19 PM.

#8 vkhastro1

vkhastro1

Apollo

• Loc: Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:32 PM

APM HDC 13mm 100° and 9mm 100° - absolute steal !

• Procyon, BJS, spaceoddity and 1 other like this

#9 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Vanguard

• Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:15 PM

I have both and they are great and at $250 or so, a bargain compared to other 100 degree eyepieces. Not sure what the op's budget is though. A couple years ago I never thought I'd spend that much on an eyepiece. 

• Procyon and qaiden like this

#10 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Vanguard

• Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:19 PM

I have a Meade Series 5000 UWA 20mm that is an excellent ocular in my 10-inch Dob.

They can be had for really good prices too nowadays. Really any of the Meade 5000(UWA or SWA) line or ES82/68 are good eyepieces that will perform decently in a fast dob. 

• Procyon, ShaulaB and Studly like this

#11 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Aurora

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:40 AM

Ok so let’s look at some of these options that have been presented. The ES 24/82 retails for $300 although it frequently goes on sale. The APM 20/100 (I am assuming you would want the 20mm if replacing a 38mm Agena and 42mm Superview) also retails for about $300, and I hope you have a coma corrector if you are going hyperwide at F5 for your low power sweeper. The Naglers fall into the “break the bank” category most likely. The Meade 82’s are discontinued and getting hard to find, but the 20/82 is still in stock at Adorama for $139. Yeah, not especially wide for a 2” eyepiece, but it will go a little wider than a 24/68 and it is cheap. There are also the ES/Meade 68 degrees series if $300 is too rich. Or you can buy used. Remember that some of these eyepieces are rather heavy, which can cause balance issues in Dobs. This can be mitigated with counterweight but something to account for. The Meade and ES 68/82 series are optically identical.

If you observe in considerable light pollution I would suggest trying to stay in the 20-30mm range, ideally 20-25. At a dark site you could maybe do up to 34mm like a 34mm 68 deg in a F5.

Scott
  • Jon Isaacs likes this

#12 AxelB

AxelB

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:31 AM

If I understood your question well, you’re looking for a good, wide appartement field 2" eyepiece under 30mm?

If so, try the ES82 24mm.

If you want to also replace that 32mm "hybrid ", the ES82 30mm is awesome.

At f5, these wide field eyepieces will start to show the coma from your mirror unless you use a coma corrector.

Edited by AxelB, 25 May 2019 - 07:36 AM.

#13 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Moderators

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

Perhaps I didn't understand the question.   Are you looking for another 2"?  Typically people only have one or two. 

If that is the case, the 2" Meade 5000 UWA 82 degree is an excellent eyepiece and a steal at $149.   I have one and like it very much.  A bit large and heavy but great images. 

#14 Hesiod

Hesiod

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:37 AM

Well, you have already a 38mm and 42mm, which should give you more or less the widest field possible; the "ultimate" option should be IMHO a 30-ish UWA,assuming that your "hybrid" eyepiece is not such; in the latter case, I would not purchase another 2" eyepiece unless willing to jump into 100° ones, but these are not cheap at all.

If are interested in 2" barrels for practical reasons, could simply get a couple of extra adapters and keep using your 1.25" EPs

• Procyon likes this

#15 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Aurora

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:40 PM

I took that as shorter than 32mm but still 2” wide field. I get the impression he wants something better than the 38 Agena but cheaper than a Nagler. Something 24-30 would pair better with the F5, especially if it is higher quality.

Scott
  • Jon Isaacs and Jond105 like this

#16 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:06 PM

I took that as shorter than 32mm but still 2” wide field. I get the impression he wants something better than the 38 Agena but cheaper than a Nagler. Something 24-30 would pair better with the F5, especially if it is higher quality.

Scott

That is the way I read it.  "Performance in my 8 and 10 inch Dobs."  

In this case, improving the views with mid to short focal length eyepieces that are of very good quality will likely lead B. Herbert to realize that his current eyepieces are not so great at F/5 and F/6.

I think a reasonable strategy is one, quite good eyepiece around 30mm in focal length to replace the others and expand the collection with quality eyepieces.

What that eyepiece might be, it won't be a 31mm Nagler but it could be a used 30mm ES 82 degree or a 28mm or 34mm ES 68 degree or the Meade equivalents, bearing in mind that the Meades can be decloalked if the bulk is a problem.

Jon

• Procyon likes this

#17 B. Hebert

B. Hebert

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

Have I misstated my request or misused the term "short"?  I was looking for something shorter in fl than the 32 and 40 mm that I have, probably something in the 17 mm range.

Or, is there perhaps no real reason to use a 2" over a 1.25" eyepiece in the 5 mm to 25 mm range?

• Procyon, aeajr and Ronofthedead07 like this

#18 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:05 PM

Have I misstated my request or misused the term "short"?  I was looking for something shorter in fl than the 32 and 40 mm that I have, probably something in the 17 mm range.

Or, is there perhaps no real reason to use a 2" over a 1.25" eyepiece in the 5 mm to 25 mm range?

If your main focuser is 2" you'll need 1.25" to 2" adapter(s), besides that, there's not much difference. It's just for convenience that you'd get 2" short focal length eyepieces really. 

#19 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Moderators

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

Unless you are going for a very wide AFOV, say 100 degrees or more, which are VERY expensive, no there is no reason to use 2" below say 20 mm.

Short has no meaning except as compared to something else.  So short compared to 32 would be anything shorter than that.   It could be 20 mm or 17 mm, 7 mm, 3 mm, or shorter.   That is why some of us posted links to lines of eyepieces.  We had no idea what you meant by short.

Personally, when someone says short, in relation to my 8 and 12" Dobs, I think under 10 mm. 

This article and this video will explain everything. 

Understanding Telescope Eyepieces

https://telescopicwa...cope-eyepieces/

Selecting an Eyepiece - Orion telescope
This is a very general discussion of eyepieces and why there are a variety of designs
https://www.youtube....h?v=m7u9Q5hV7yc

• B. Hebert likes this

#20 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

Short has no meaning except as compared to something else.  So short compared to 32 would be anything shorter than that.   It could be 20 mm or 17 mm, 7 mm, 3 mm, or shorter.   That is why some of us posted links to lines of eyepieces.  We had no idea what you meant by short.

Personally, when someone says short, in relation to my 8 and 12" Dobs, I think under 10 mm. 

True, I think most people call them high magnfication eyepieces, I was writing about a 27mm Pan or 30mm ES 82 until I went down a small rabbit well looking for what short focal length eyepieces meant honestly, lol. 

The 9mm Morpheus would possibly make a great buy, it also comes with a 2" adapter, which cost around 20-30 themselves. Otherwise I'd get an 8.8mm ES 82 or 9mm Celestron X-Cel LX as a first high mag eyepiece for his case with the 8 and 10" dob. 17mm would give him around 70x? Just making some suggestions, though it would be easier to suggest with a known budget or exact focal length. 

Edited by Procyon, 26 May 2019 - 09:24 PM.

#21 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Aurora

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:26 PM

Have I misstated my request or misused the term "short"? I was looking for something shorter in fl than the 32 and 40 mm that I have, probably something in the 17 mm range.

The only 2” 17mm eyepiece I can think of is the $650 17 Ethos. If you want a 17mm that doesn’t break the bank, you are looking for a 1.25” eyepiece. That’s why we were confused.

Scott

#22 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:32 PM

The 17mm Nagler is a 2" eye-p. It's around $400 new, but I've seen quite a few pop up in the classifieds for around $250-$265 [excellent condition]. It's one of my favorites. I kept it even after getting the 17mm Explore Sci 92°. It's that good.

• Jon Isaacs and Procyon like this

#23 Ronofthedead07

Ronofthedead07

Explorer 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:07 AM

Or, is there perhaps no real reason to use a 2" over a 1.25" eyepiece in the 5 mm to 25 mm rang

There is no optical benefit to using a 2” barrel when the eyepiece’s field stop is 27mm or smaller, because it will fit just fine into a 1.25” barrel. Some manufacturers use them anyway...for example, the Explore Scientific 92, 100 and 120 series eyepieces ALL have 2” barrels (except the mammoth 3” 30/100). Only three of them actually need the larger barrel to accommodate the field stop. Other manufacturers such as Tele Vue use a dual barrel design which allows the eyepiece to be used in either a 1.25” or 2” focuser. They do this with big, heavy eyepieces because a 2” focuser can better handle the weight. 2” barrels also allow use in 2” focusers without having to mess around with 1.25” adapters.

In short, the 2” barrel used in any eyepiece shorter than 17mm or so has more to do with weight and bulk than anything else.

• rkelley8493 likes this

#24 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:39 AM

There is no optical benefit to using a 2” barrel when the eyepiece’s field stop is 27mm or smaller, because it will fit just fine into a 1.25” barrel.

This is true but the reason can also be mechanical - swinging an ES glass grenade on a 1.25" barrel is probably unwise.

It's not cheap but the ES 17/92 is a superb eyepiece. Currently it's offered at $400 but they seem to go up & down a lot. I've used mine at f/3.3 and it worked fine. (Admittedly, this was with my Epsilon 160 which only yields 31x so it's doubtful that anything except serious aberrations would really be visible.)

• rkelley8493 likes this

#25 qaiden

qaiden

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gemmenich, Belgium

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:22 PM

+ 1 on this, I have the 13mm it is my favorite EP.

• vkhastro1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics