•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Olympus EH Trinocular: Good starter scope?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Plinthley

Plinthley

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, CO USA

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:24 AM

I've noodled around with my student-level binocular Amscope but haven't been entirely thrilled. Hard to bring things to a tight focus or provide adequate lighting.

This Olympus EH trinocular is available locally and has 10x, 20x, 40x, and 100x phase contrast objective lenses. Is this a good instrument for a beginner? Is it a good buy at $250 - $300?

It looks very clean and well-maintained.

I'd like to look at amoeba and all that cool pond soup stuff, and even take some photos. Could I attach my Canon T3i DSLR with an adapter? 

Attached Thumbnails

• 60345216_2334840966607013_3132487784057536512_n.jpeg

#2 Microscopy

Microscopy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:52 AM

The olympus EH is an Olympus E (see also here: https://www.cloudyni...-olympus-tokyo/ ) with a build in low voltage illuminator and coaxial coarse and fine focussing controls.

"Is this a good instrument for a beginner?" It takes some learning to use that instrument correctly, but it's not all that difficult. For an absolute beginner (especially for a youngster...) , I would advice a less sophisticated microscope, but I don't see any reason why this shoulden't be a good microscope for a beginning, thoughtfull adult.

"Is it a good buy at $250 - $300?" Equipped with phase, complete (including the bulb holder which is often missing in microscopes with build-in illumination) and in decent condition? I would buy it immediatly for that price.

Edited by Microscopy, 24 May 2019 - 10:05 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics