•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Interesting changes in Jupiter's GRS!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:37 AM

Hi all,

A number of observations show some interesting changes to Jupiter's GRS and it seems to be undergoing some fascinating and unusual changes!  I managed to use the University telescope on 23rd May and it even though the seeing was around AIV it was clear that the spot was distorted!  The RSH seems to be filled with material and material from STZ interacting with the GRS.  The spot has been shrinking and it is unclear what will happen to the GRS in the long run- are we seeing some new developments that will answer that question?

Best wishes,

-Paul

Jupiter_2019-05-23_0115UT_Visual_PAbel.png

• Catapoman, Asbytec, Toups and 20 others like this

#2 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Gemini

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:44 AM

Absolutely lovely sketch (aka "work of art"), Paul. I love it.

Detail as recorded by you matches many images taken during a similar period, except the GRS looks even smaller in images. It's great what the eye can detect with a large instrument and decent seeing!

A Most Excellent Job.

#3 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:53 AM

Many thanks RedLion!  I think it looks smaller in images because I had some difficulty in determining where the boundary of the GRS was.  The seeing was poor and there is a darker band the surrounds the feature so I think the images are correct but visually if like me you're more sensitive the bluer end of he spectrum, it can be difficult to determine a sharp edge to the GRS.

I think it will be a good idea to collect as many visual observations so we have a visual record of what is happening to the GRS during this time!

Cheers,

-Paul

Edited by Paul G. Abel, 24 May 2019 - 12:26 PM.

• zjc26138, Procyon, deepwoods1 and 1 other like this

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:34 PM

Good sketch, Paul.  These developments around the GRS are going to be interesting to follow.  Lots of eyes (and cameras) will be on it.

Edited by Special Ed, 24 May 2019 - 01:36 PM.

#5 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Apollo

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:10 PM

I saw this last night (finally clear steady sky) and that was the first thing I noticed, "the GRS sure is different" was what I kept thinking. It seemed to be drawing in lots of dark material (or expelling it, I'm too dumb to know which) and seemed elongated also. Definitely wasn't like it has been.

Peace...

• Cpk133 likes this

#6 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:05 AM

Paul,

Very good sketch of  Interesting changes in Jupiter's GRS! smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#7 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:04 PM

@jeremiah2229 it was a very unusual sight! Did you get a drawing? It will be interesting to see what happens to the GRS.

#8 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:04 PM

@niteskystargazer thanks!

#9 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:21 PM

Gorgeous sketch! Perhaps a baader moon & skyglow will help see the spot color contrast. This filter really helps distinguish features for Jupiter.

#10 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Apollo

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:40 PM

@jeremiah2229 it was a very unusual sight! Did you get a drawing? It will be interesting to see what happens to the GRS.

Oh my no, I can't draw a stick man let alone sketch like you folks do. I see so much talent on here from folks sketching and it is just a blessing for me.

What I saw was the GRS sucking up or spewing out black belts/lines where usually it has a really nice white belt around it. And when white there are some white spots ahead and behind it and the eye is the same color as the GRS with darker ring around the eye (just like the thin ring around the GRS itself). This night the ring was black I have never seen this black before. And the GRS was elongated, bent out of shape. Very different that what I've seen before. And the blessing of this was the air here was dead calm and humidity dropped a bunch and I was using the 150 Mak at 300x for this the whole time. Not once did a current pass and disturb the view. And all I was thinking is "man I wish my eye was a camera so I could record this".

I hope for more nights like that so I can stay with it.  :)

Peace...

• dUbeni likes this

#11 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:38 AM

@NorthernlatAK actually I tend to use a W80A blue filter as this really helps increase the contrast also a W15 yellow is helpful. On this occasion the seeing was poor and so using a blue filter wasn’t much help as bluer wavelengths are more disturbed by poor seeing than the longer wavelengths.  

@jeremiah2229 I’m hopeful for more clear nights this week too so I can study the GRS further. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics