•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Schoolchild's Delight...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:10 PM

Sky Muse - I have the Bresser version of the same scope and saw that you replaced the RDF that came with it with a vixen-style base.  Which one did you get and what type of finderscope are you planning to use?   Got to agree with you that the RDF that came with it leave quite a bit to be desired.

Chris

I used one of the bases with one of two Apertura 8x50 straight-through finder-scopes, and perhaps the one that I had a relation get for their C90.  They were $29 each on eBay at the time, and they came with bases.  He doesn't use that C90 for astronomy, so a straight-through suits him fine, but he didn't need the base as the C90 already comes equipped with the type, so that's probably the one I attached to this Maksutov, and backwards at that.  Look at the base within the image above of the rear of the telescope. lol.gif   I'll need to turn it around, and whilst beefing-up its attachment to the plastic rear cover.  The cover's threaded holes for the base are also plastic; no metal inserts I'm afraid.  I'm thinking of a thin aluminum plate on the back side to strengthen it, and with nuts over that for the screws, but only if there's room.  I would like to have a better base however, and for this telescope.

It was when trying to find Polaris, even at the telescope's lowest power, that I was having a bit of difficulty, as there are quite a few stars in Polaris' vicinity, and revealed via the 5" aperture.  I decided that going finderless in that instance wasn't going to work.  So I went inside and got this 6x30 that I had lacquered, and blackened and flocked internally recently...

finis2.jpg

I will also have option of most any finder-scope or red-dot in future.  That 6x30 was previously aligned with my other catadioptric, a 5" "Bird Jones", but once I attached it to the Maksutov it was way off.  I aligned it via the Moon, and then found Polaris.

In so far as the bundled red-dot finder, someone had made mention of using springs to tighten up the assembly.  I plan to use this spring, four cut lengths of same at about three or fours loops each...

springs.jpg

Whoever produced these red-dot finders for JOC, if not JOC itself, certainly didn't the get the construction of the chassis down pat.

• Castor likes this

#27 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:17 PM

I needed a short OTA with an aft focuser, and the rings/bracket on the 152 was a definite plus for me.  I use to work with avionics and I've seen enough electronic malfunctions that I wanted my first mount to be completely mechanical for reliability.

My 35MM Bresser 70° gives me a TFOV of 1.29°, and that has worked out so far.  However, my GSO 8x50 RACI hasn't seen first light yet, and with 5.4° FOV, I will probably feel like I'm jumping into the ocean rather than a local watering hole.

Edit:  I made the mistake of trying to use the RDF twice.  The problem was that once I got down to look through a straight through finder, I almost couldn't get back up onto my observing seat, which is my mobility scooter.

Chris

Yes, I'd like to have tube rings for this one, too.  I understand that the 6" comes with them already.  I have the ideal dovetail-bar, attached, fixed, and that can be easily removed.  I don't like fixed bars on any telescope.

I, too was having trouble using a straight-through finder with this telescope.  I will definitely be getting a right-angle in future.  

• Chris Y likes this

#28 howardcano

howardcano

Viking 1

• Loc: Olathe, KS

Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:02 PM

I used one of the bases with one of two Apertura 8x50 straight-through finder-scopes, and perhaps the one that I had a relation get for their C90.  They were $29 each on eBay at the time, and they came with bases.  He doesn't use that C90 for astronomy, so a straight-through suits him fine, but he didn't need the base as the C90 already comes equipped with the type, so that's probably the one I attached to this Maksutov, and backwards at that.  Look at the base within the image above of the rear of the telescope. lol.gif   I'll need to turn it around, and whilst beefing-up its attachment to the plastic rear cover.

I always remove the finder base and put it on backward, along with swapping the finder end-to-end.  That way if the set screw holding the finder bracket in the base should ever work loose (or I forget to tighten it), the finder doesn't crash to the ground when I swing the scope up near the zenith.  (This only holds true for brackets that have the little tab that serves as a stop.)

You only get one guess as to why I know about that. frown.gif

Edited by howardcano, 16 August 2019 - 02:05 PM.

• Sky Muse and Chris Y like this

#29 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:16 PM

I always remove the finder base and put it on backward, along with swapping the finder end-to-end.  That way if the set screw holding the finder bracket in the base should ever work loose (or I forget to tighten it), the finder doesn't crash to the ground when I swing the scope up near the zenith.  (This only holds true for brackets that have the little tab that serves as a stop.)

You only get one guess as to why I know about that. frown.gif

I have this on its way, and from China...

https://www.ebay.com...872.m2749.l2649

Now I won't have that problem any more.  Plus, it has two thumbscrews! whee.gif   

I'm really wanting to zoot this puppy up, over time, and ever upwards.  The need for a right-angle finder is somewhat dire, but I would also need a short mounting stalk.  Scope Stuff has this, #FROR...

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_fring.htm

...but I wish it was even shorter, as in no stalk at all.  It would not be too far fetched to attempt to modify whichever bracket that comes with the finder-scope; measurement after measurement after measurement to get that right.  I still haven't forgotten about this...

https://www.amazon.c...gateway&sr=8-31

...oh, and tube-rings.  I love tube-rings.  I can also paint that back cover.

#30 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 30 August 2019 - 12:24 PM

It's here, and with tracking all the way to my door; odd, that, being that it was shipped from China.  Upon closer inspection, the package bore a USPS tracking-label, albeit "Parcel Select Lightweight", and slapped over the original "Orange Connex" shipping-label...

finder base5.jpg

I soaked the USPS label with a cotton-ball dampened with charcoal-lighter fluid for a few minutes, then it peeled right off. 

I'm just not used to that kind of service.  In the past, I would order something, and always cheap, then leave it to chance as to whether or not it would arrive.

Voilà...

finder base3.jpg

Want one?

Okay, so it doesn't have a recess for a stalk's stop-tab, but both clamp-screws do come in contact with a stalk's dovetail nonetheless...

finder base4.jpg

whee.gif

I'll need to visit my local hardware for nuts and washers.  I already had gotten two screws, but who knows, I might need slightly longer ones.

This, I may now lay to rest...

finder base2.jpg

• Castor and eros312 like this

#31 eros312

eros312

Messenger

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:06 PM

Nice! That's the same one that I bought, but from amazon. I purchased this same scope package a few months back, couldn't resist the $300 price. I'll be interested to see if you have success with the scope on an eq2, I went with an eq3.

ES127Mak.jpg

• Castor and Sky Muse like this

#32 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 30 August 2019 - 04:10 PM

Nice! That's the same one that I bought, but from amazon. I purchased this same scope package a few months back, couldn't resist the $300 price. I'll be interested to see if you have success with the scope on an eq2, I went with an eq3.

We did well, as the price has gone up since that time.  It is also backordered, everywhere, at present.

I have an EQ-3, a CG-4...

finis2a.jpg

There's not a thing wrong with it really; quite the contrary, but it's not exactly as grab-and-go as I would like.  Even my EQ-2 is, at best, borderline on that.

• eros312 likes this

#33 Castor

Castor

Apollo

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:35 PM

Hi Alan,

This is a fantastic thread, most educative, lavishly illustrated and very inspiring as is customary with your well documented equipment upgrades, restorations and reviews! bow.gif

Congratulations on your shiny new high performing compact telescope! smile.gif

• eros312 and Sky Muse like this

#34 Castor

Castor

Apollo

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:01 PM

attachicon.gif ES127Mak.jpg

Hi Ken,

You have a very handsome looking setup with your Explore Scientific 127mm Maksutov in that impeccable white tube with black fittings and delicate red accent, congratulations!

My first “serious” dream scope when I was at high school was a small, black 80mm Bausch & Lomb catadioptric spotting scope that I use to see at the store showcase of a large bookstore every time that I passed by.  I saved as much as I could from my weekly allowance and when I thought that I had accumulated enough I ran to the store to buy it, thinking that this would be my happiest day ever!  Alas, the price tag that I had seen attached to the telescope all that time was missing a zero, so the actual price was ten times as high what I had saved.  No words can express my disappointment and sadness that day! bawling.gif

In my despair and as consolation prize I went to a store across the street and purchased a 50mm red plastic tube Tasco achromatic refractor telescope with poor optics, with the usual department store spindly tripod, plastic 0.965” eyepieces and accessories.  That was my first telescope and with time, hard work and some creativity (like the one Sky_Muse has consistently shown in his posts) I was able to upgrade it enough to put it to good use for deep-sky and planetary observing! sweaty.gif

Years later, when I started working and once that I was able to afford a serious telescope I never forgot about my lost love for the little 80mm black CAT and my first “real serious” telescope was a Meade 10-inch f/10 SCT that I purchased in the 90's.  I have always had a thing about refractors but all my larger telescopes have been CATs (SCTs to be specific), two of them black! laugh.gif

I apologize for the long story, but the B&L 80mm CAT was my own “Schoolchild’s Delight” telescope that I dreamed about but I could never own!

• eros312, Sky Muse and Chris Y like this

#35 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:32 PM

What a wonderful recounting, Castor.  Thank you.

• Castor likes this

#36 Castor

Castor

Apollo

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:51 PM

What a wonderful recounting, Castor.  Thank you.

Thank you Alan!

What I said about the handsome looks of eros312’s telescope goes for yours too, I love the aesthetics and functionality of these scopes! waytogo.gif

Best regards,

• Sky Muse likes this

#37 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:19 AM

The defocus is too far for an evaluation of the collimation. The farther you defocus the more centered the secondary shadow will look even if decentered. Three diffraction rings is about right.

#38 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:23 AM

I apologize for the long story, but the B&L 80mm CAT was my own “Schoolchild’s Delight” telescope that I dreamed about but I could never own!

You didn't know it at the time but you likely dodged a bullet, quality wise.
  • Castor likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics