•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jaegers lens question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Spacechicken

Spacechicken

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:11 PM

Hi folks,

A while back I got my hands on a box of new old stock Jaegers lenses from 1958. I've got a matches set of 6" f15 lenses and 10-2" lenses that I think might have been destined to become eyepieces. Can anyone offer some insight into whether the lenses listed below would be suitable for eyepeices and where I might find some instruction as to how to go about arranging them.

I have as follows,

4- 54mm f1 300 mm   #1112

3- 54mm f1 254 mm  #1476

3- 59mm f1 308 mm  #1496

I'm familiar with vintage Tasco refractors and own a couple of reflectors that see most of the use. I'd like to use the lenses to build a classic Jaeger planetary telescope.

Thanks in advance, Beth

#2 BGRE

BGRE

Vanguard

• Loc: New Zealand

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:28 PM

None of those lenses are likely to be useful in an eyepiece for a telescope unless you intend to emulate Hevelius' telescope.

The focal lengths are too long to be useful for a 6" F/15 telescope. A maximum eyepiece focal length or around 75mm (for a 5mm eye pupil diameter) is required to  ensure that the entire 6" aperture is used and not stopped down by the edges of the eye pupil. 

• Augustus likes this

#3 NinePlanets

NinePlanets

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: High and Dry

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:33 PM

Those lenses were very likely destined to be objective lenses for items like binoculars, gun sights, or finder scopes.

• ngc7319_20 and Augustus like this

#4 Spacechicken

Spacechicken

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for the quick feedback.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics