•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Auto guiding

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 drknapper

drknapper

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Haven, Utah

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:46 PM

I'm new to auto guiding and I need help getting my guide scope setup.  I have a classic C8 on the new Advanced VX mount.  I have the Orion SSAG mounted in the Orion mini 50mm with all the wires hooked up to my aux port and my PC.  I'm trying to set up the latest PHD2 software but can't get anything to work!  Can anyone give me step my step instructions on what options to set in what menus.  The Orion ssag book doesn't help.

#2 sc285

sc285

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeastern KS

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:03 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=Mt0luBLaHDw

#3 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Soyuz

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:19 PM

A USB cable should run from your PC to the camera, and one from your PC to the bottom of the hand controller. Of course, the hand controller needs hooked to the mount. Load the drivers for the camera. Load ASCOM and the ASCOM driver for your mount. Forget using the ST4 cable from the camera to the mount. Not needed.

In PHD2, select the Orion camera as the camera, and your mount as the mount.

#4 drknapper

drknapper

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:00 PM

What/where do I get the cable from the hand controller to my USB computer port?

#5 Stelios

Stelios

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:51 AM

What/where do I get the cable from the hand controller to my USB computer port?

Well, it depends what year AVX you have.

Anything shipped after 2017 will have a mini-USB port. Just get a mini USB cable like this from Amazon.

If you have an older AVX (or CG-5) with a RJ11 (phone-jack) connection on the bottom of the handcontrol requires this and this (or any of many other serial to usb adapters)

#6 Stelios

Stelios

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:58 AM

But... let me also warn you. What you are trying to do is very difficult.

Presumably you are attempting long-exposure DSO astrophotography (for planetary AP you don't need to guide). Here are the pitfalls:

1) The AVX is a totally inadequate mount for guiding a 2000 mm scope. Even with a 6.3 reducer (a must to avoid coma at the edges too) you still have an uphill climb.

2) The Orion mini has insufficient focal length to guide a 2000 mm scope. Even with a 6.3 reducer you are marginal at best.

3) *Any* guidescope risks issues with differential flexure when guiding an SCT. Differential flexure is when you get good guiding but bad (elliptical/elongated) stars (due to mirror moving and/or gravity and/or cable drag affecting the guidescope different from the main scope). The solution in general is to get an OAG (off-axis-guider) which basically guides off the same field that you image.

• rgsalinger likes this

#7 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Soyuz

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:08 AM

Don't let Stelios' post scare you off. What you have is fine for now. I have used the Orion mini guide scope on longer scopes, it isn't the greatest thing, but it works and you will learn a lot with it. I haven't owned an AVX, but I have helped others with it. It is not as bad as people say. For its size and cost, it is actually a very nice mount.

Try it. Learn. Have fun. That's the whole point.

• nwcs and Stephen S. like this

#8 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:28 PM

It can be a pain to get the ASCOM and PhD2 drivers for the mount and camera loaded and taking to your pc. But it’s the best way to go, so it’s worth the effort.
I needed the RJ-11 to RS232 / RS232 to USB cables for my older CGEM, and the only way the setup works is with an RS232-USB connector.
Anyway - start with bright compact objects like globular clusters that don’t require long exposures. Once you get some experience with those try the brighter nebula.
Astrophotography is the probably the most challenging type of photography, requiring specialized equipment to cature objects that are just barely brighter than the black sky. Don’t expect it to go smoothly and don’t expect much success right away. It took me years to get a photograph of the Horsehead Nebula that I liked enough to share.

Edited by KLWalsh, 25 May 2019 - 11:29 PM.

#9 drknapper

drknapper

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:35 PM

Ok, but I'm getting frustrated.  I have a garman USB 2.0A to USB 2.0b that connected to my Lenovo Laptop and to the bottom of the hand controller.  I used the setup wizard and set everything for the camera an Celestron ascom. I keep getting a PHD cannot connect to my camera. I imagine it might be the garman cable.  I don't want to buy several other cables if that's not the problem.  I'm setting up like Soyuz is saying and the YouTube video.  What do you guys think?

#10 drknapper

drknapper

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:39 PM

I think I'm making progress.  The Cable that came with my Garman 64S works.  I used the AC cable to my laptop to insure I had enough power and clicked on the connect camera and mount.  They both went from red to green.  Now if I could just get rid of the clouds.......?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics