•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Chroma 1.25" filter housing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lakeorion

lakeorion

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:55 PM

So I took delivery of my first Chroma filter today and it doesn't fit in my filter wheel.  The housing is several mm longer than the Baaders / Orions I have purchased in the past.  I'm trying to stuff a QHY CFW3S with top of the line glass and it just doesn't fit.

I've contacted Chroma, but at 5:00 pm on a holiday weekend I'll have to be prepared to wait for an answer.  Has anyone else had difficulty fitting Chroma filters in?

#2 RunningMan

RunningMan

Messenger

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:17 AM

Do you mean it is too tall, so it interferes with turning of the filter wheel? Or it won’t thread into the filter wheel?

#3 lakeorion

lakeorion

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:37 AM

Too tall.  Wheel won't turn. 

#4 RunningMan

RunningMan

Messenger

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:56 PM

I had a similar experience with my 1.25” HA filter (Astrodon) in a Celestron Skyris filter wheel. It still can turn, but there’s some rubbing.

#5 lakeorion

lakeorion

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:48 PM

Here's a pic next to what I consider a 'standard' filter housing.  This is my first foray into expensive filters, just asking if they're all like this.

20190525_191800 copy.jpg

#6 gundark

gundark

Messenger

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:36 PM

That looks tall to me. My 1.25" filters look more like the one on the right. 

#7 HydrogenAlpha

HydrogenAlpha

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:17 AM

I believe Chroma and Astrodon use 3mm thick glass as opposed to the usual 1-2mm as well, which might partly explain the height difference. 

Edited by HydrogenAlpha, 26 May 2019 - 07:21 AM.

#8 lakeorion

lakeorion

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:15 PM

Bummer.

After some discussion Chroma can't get a source for shorter 1.25" threaded filter housings.  The threaded side is too long and interferes with my QHYCFW3s filter wheel.

I'm getting a refund.

I guess the silver lining is that I'm going to pay far less for my filters now, not sure from what source, but evidently not Chroma.

Edited by lakeorion, 04 June 2019 - 07:00 PM.

#9 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:41 PM

I have one Astrodon Ha 1.25" filter, so i won't change the filter because of the filter wheel, the question is, will the thickness of Chroma be same as thickness or let's say same tall as Astrodon filters of 1.25"?

#10 lakeorion

lakeorion

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:02 PM

I'm going to try Astrodon's next.  Hopefully they are 8-10 mm or so for the unthreaded portion? If they don't fit, then I guess it's bye bye filter wheel?

Edited by lakeorion, 04 June 2019 - 07:08 PM.

#11 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:14 PM

I'm going to try Astrodon's next.  Hopefully they are 8-10 mm or so for the unthreaded portion? If they don't fit, then I guess it's bye bye filter wheel?

Definitely BYE BYE filter wheel for me, so if both Chroma and Astrodon don't fit then you are going to use ZWO or Baader which are although still good but not as Astrodon and Chroma filters quality? so you prefer the size and coating over quality.

Please try and let us know, and hope others who use Astrodon or Chroma 1.25" filters to tell us about their finding out too and which filter wheel they use.

#12 Lumicon

Lumicon

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Gold River, California

Posted 07 June 2019 - 06:06 PM

Here at Astrodon, we have noticed this issue. It seems to be an issue only with some of the new filter wheels? I pose that as a question because we never heard of this until recently, but who knows?. In any event, we will soon have new "low profile" filter cells (2-3 weeks). If you order a new filter specify if you need the new low profile cell and we will hold your order until the new cells are ready.

If you have existing Astrodon 1.25" filters that are banging your filter wheel, you can send them to us to be re-fitted with the new cell. But it is my understanding that this is only an issue for a small number of filter wheels.

I'll take this opportunity to tell everyone (again) that 31mm filters are the way to go if your filter wheel supports them. Same 27.5mm of naked filter glass, but mounted in a 31mm ring that is flush with the 3mm thick filter glass. So the filter is closer to your sensor, which is a good thing. 1.25" filter cells are 31mm in diameter, so everything is the same as far as that goes.

Lastly, we can convert 1.25" filter cells to 31mm, but not the other way since the filter is glued into the 31mm ring.

Before you ask "Will the new Astrodon low-profile 1.25" filter cell fit my (some other brand) filter?" The answer is "maybe but I don't know" because your filter glass may be of a slightly different diameter or thickness.

Doug

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics