•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autoguiding with a cg-4 mount

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Kkiixx

Kkiixx

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kansas City, MO

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:21 PM

I posted a picture of PHD2 in this thread and seem to find myself in a conversation and don't want to take it too off-topic.

I posted in the classifieds that I wanted dual axis motors for my cg-4 mount and mentioned a controller.   One of you showed me z-filed.com and the code / hardware to build my own.

I ended up getting their small parts kit, and waiting LONG TIME for a Chinese Arduino, LCD, and stepper motors.

It all came together.  Kevin over at z-field is a pleasure to deal with.  I suppose a major selling point for me was to have the source code.  K shows you how to make timing adjustments to the different tracking rates.  I thought that was neat; Maybe mine run different than yours, or change with age.

I personally like to star hop, but I tested out Cartes du Ciel software and watched the mount move around inside as I tested the GOTO functions.   How cool is that.

I have only had the chance to take this out a few times.  The images are my first night when I didn't have the project box for the controller yet.

FirstNightGuiding.jpg FirstNightGuidingCU.jpg

This video is when I put it in a box and added longer data cables.

https://www.youtube....h?v=EBWy0qSA4nQ

It shows my telescope, mount, guide scope, controller and software.  PHD2 to auto guide the cg4, and envisage to capture some images.

In the original postings einarin said

That looks too good to be true - so suspecting wrong figures in PHD setup wink.gif

I'm not sure what I need to be checking

TelescopeGreg said they do not look centered around the zero axis.  :/ I thought they did.

I'm going to post more information as I gather it. Thoughts, questions, and suggestions are very welcome. 

Edited by Kkiixx, 24 May 2019 - 11:24 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics