•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question regarding "ghosting" in William Optics binoviewers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:11 AM

Sometimes when I am binoviewing with my William Optics binoviewers, I notice "ghosting" of a star, (or something else), while viewing.

It's kind of hard to explain. It doesn't have to be bright stars or anything "bright" I am looking at, but this strange light source will drift a different way than stars do when using my 10" Orion XTi, without tracking.

I tried changing eyepieces in the binoviewer, and even switching eyepieces from side to side, but it still happens from time to time.

I am thinking it is something to do with the prisms.

Any ideas?

#2 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:51 AM

Hey Miranda, might find something here. https://www.cloudyni...ation-ghosting/

Or run a google search called binoviewer ghosting. I saw a lot of subjects with WO and ghosting. Scanningforcomets I think wrote a solution also.

#3 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:52 PM

Hey Miranda, might find something here. https://www.cloudyni...ation-ghosting/

Or run a google search called binoviewer ghosting. I saw a lot of subjects with WO and ghosting. Scanningforcomets I think wrote a solution also.

Thanks Procyon,

There's no problems merging the EP's or anything else. I just sometimes get this strange light that comes and goes in either EP when using the binoviewers. I wish I could draw what I see and post it here.

• Procyon likes this

#4 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Apollo

• Loc: In the glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:05 PM

Are you wearing glasses?

#5 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:59 AM

Are you wearing glasses?

No sir.

#6 Spikey131

Spikey131

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:30 PM

I see the same sometimes.  I think it is just something that happens with binoviewers.  I ignore it and keep observing.  It has never been distracting to me.

#7 Rustler46

Rustler46

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:16 PM

I've seen some ghosting when using the WO BV with a 10-inch f/5 reflector. This shows up as a bright "star" which moves across the field as the real stars drift in the opposite direction. Whatever the cause, I choose to ignore the "ghost" and concentrate on the real objects the FOV.

• Usquebae likes this

#8 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 June 2019 - 06:25 PM

I've seen some ghosting when using the WO BV with a 10-inch f/5 reflector. This shows up as a bright "star" which moves across the field as the real stars drift in the opposite direction. Whatever the cause, I choose to ignore the "ghost" and concentrate on the real objects the FOV.

You just described it exactly as I see it too !!!  I guess I will have to do the same and "ignore the ghost".

• Rustler46 likes this

#9 Usquebae

Usquebae

Viking 1

• Loc: 43° N, 73° W

Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:32 PM

I have seen the same ghost stars as described and am confident it is the BV prism.  I see it in all my scopes, with all barlows and EPs.  Not hard to ignore once you accept it.

• Rustler46 likes this

#10 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:21 AM

I have seen the same ghost stars as described and am confident it is the BV prism.  I see it in all my scopes, with all barlows and EPs.  Not hard to ignore once you accept it.

I had a look into the prisms as well yesterday and it only seems to happen on the right side because there are "spaces" in between the prism where light finds it's way through. 

You are 100% right.

#11 erin

erin

Messenger

• Loc: MA

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:58 AM

I have noticed a similar effect in mine too. I will check the prism and see if I notice it with a mirror. It’s like a small sliver in the right side that reflects what you are seeing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics