•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eye Strain

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 caronb

caronb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:24 AM

After being out of the hobby for many years, I recently returned (as a 71 year old). Unfortunately I am finding that after several hours of observing I develop quite severe eye strain.  I tend to use my left eye mostly and I do try to keep both eyes open when observing.  I also make sure that I don't stay at the eyepiece for extended periods of time.  

Has anyone experienced this sort of problem and if so, any suggestions?

• SeaBee1 likes this

#2 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Soyuz

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:49 AM

I experience some eye strain occasionally while viewing, and usually, I'll just take a break and do some naked eye looking to relieve it. My eye doctor also found that I have a dry eye problem, which can really put the brakes on my viewing but he has me using an eye drop called Systane that mitigates that. I find that the eye drops are a great help overall. They are OTC and I get mine from Amazon.

Good luck!

CB

• Carol L, cuzimthedad and caronb like this

#3 caronb

caronb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:06 AM

Thanks very much.  I'll give it a try.

#4 StarBurger

StarBurger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:49 AM

Last night for the first time I experienced what I thought may be eyestrain.

I can't believe I had never tried it before but I moved to my left eye for viewing.

What a difference! My left seems so much better in seeing detail on Jupiter than my right.

It also seems to have less flare.

Given me a whole new outlook (pun intended).

• russell23 and caronb like this

#5 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Ranger 4

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:10 PM

I often use an eyepatch.  It's Piratical!  Wife got me a bag of them off Amazon.  Never tried my left eye.  I'll try it out

#6 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:23 PM

I experience some eye strain occasionally while viewing, and usually, I'll just take a break and do some naked eye looking to relieve it. My eye doctor also found that I have a dry eye problem, which can really put the brakes on my viewing but he has me using an eye drop called Systane that mitigates that. I find that the eye drops are a great help overall. They are OTC and I get mine from Amazon.

Good luck!

CB

I have the same problem and use Equate. I'm going to give Systane a try though as I like the eye dropper bottle idea better than the individual one and done packets.

• SeaBee1 likes this

#7 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:25 PM

I often use an eyepatch.  It's Piratical!  Wife got me a bag of them off Amazon.  Never tried my left eye.  I'll try it out

Arrr matey, September 19th be the day we celebrate. Arrrr

• SeaBee1 likes this

#8 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:06 PM

Using short focal length eyepieces coupled with a small lens gave me eye strain. Now, I switched to Delos eyepieces (20mm of eye relief/wide eye lens) or Ethos (15m of eye relief/huge eye lens.) That combination made it possible to view for long periods of time, and no eyestrain. 

• SeaBee1 and caronb like this

#9 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:49 PM

I too, switched eyes a decade ago.   My cateract had gotten bad enough that I simply could see more and had less eye strain.  Even after cateract surgery, I felt the left eye was still better.

Now, as far as practical things..  The most relaxing views I have ever had were using binoviewers. There are some compromises, but as far as pure observing comfort there is nothing better than right angle binoculars and binoviwers.  (I now do image intensified, but I still often use my PVS-7 in the telescope because while the tube is not as good as my monoculars, I do get to use both eyes, and I really like the comfort of using both eyes).

Otherwise, eye patch and some breaks.   

• Cpk133 and caronb like this

#10 Migwan

Migwan

Apollo

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:57 AM

I have to be careful when observing Jupiter or the Moon (even with 13% filter).  If I stare too long at these, I get a serious pain and have to take a much longer break than if I just take short breaks while observing them.  Other than that I tend to stick with longer eye relief EPs and switch from right to left eye if I just don't want to take a break.  

jd

Edited by Migwan, 26 May 2019 - 07:58 AM.

• George N and caronb like this

#11 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:39 AM

….....  The most relaxing views I have ever had were using binoviewers. There are some compromises, but as far as pure observing comfort there is nothing better than right angle binoculars and binoviwers. …..

Me too!

I've found that using a bino-viewer really helps with eyestrain -- and general tiredness -- at least when observing all/most of the night on multiple nights. While I still often 'mono-view', the more relaxing aspect of using the bino-viewer means I'm more likely to be using it on 2nd, etc, nights out.

I'll leave a discussion of bino pros/cons to the relevant forums -- but for me reducing eyestrain and the more relaxing viewing is one of the "pros".

I've never observed with a large bino-scope, but I bet that would work too.

• Cpk133 likes this

#12 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:45 AM

I have to be careful when observing Jupiter or the Moon (even with 13% filter).  If I stare too long at these, I get a serious pain and have to take a much longer break than if I just take short breaks while observing them.  Other than that I tend to stick with longer eye relief EPs and switch from right to left eye if I just don't want to take a break.  

jd

I find, when viewing something bright, with detail -- after a while I start seeing something akin to 'noise' in a video of a planet. That's when I realize that I'm holding my breath!  A few deep breaths and relaxing muscles helps.

I have to use a variable filter on my 20-inch for planets, and it would probably help with smaller scopes. Want to drill a hole in the back of your head? View Venus thru a 36-inch with no filter!  ;)

• Migwan and caronb like this

#13 Crusty99

Crusty99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:26 AM

Two eyes are better than one. Try quality binoculars and binoviewers. There are several folks willing to help observers get started with the two-eye experience at CN Binoculars and Binoviewers forums. 

watching.gif

#14 Chucke

Chucke

Viking 1

• Loc: AZ

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:16 PM

My opthamologist recommended me to use Systane in the vials and not from the bottles.  He said the bottled version contains preservatives that will eventually cause problems.

• Cpk133, SeaBee1 and caronb like this

#15 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Soyuz

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:30 PM

My opthamologist recommended me to use Systane in the vials and not from the bottles.  He said the bottled version contains preservatives that will eventually cause problems.

I have nor seen Systane in anything but the eye dropper bottles. By vials, I am thinking you mean glass vials? Please elaborate.

Thanks!

CB

#16 Cpk133

Cpk133

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:08 PM

I have nor seen Systane in anything but the eye dropper bottles. By vials, I am thinking you mean glass vials? Please elaborate.

Thanks!

CB

Just look for preservative free drops in individual vials.  They are plastic deformable and dispense about 20'drops each.  I keep them in the fridge and use or dispose once opened within 24hrs.

• SeaBee1 likes this

#17 Cpk133

Cpk133

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:12 PM

I find, when viewing something bright, with detail -- after a while I start seeing something akin to 'noise' in a video of a planet. That's when I realize that I'm holding my breath!  A few deep breaths and relaxing muscles helps.

I have to use a variable filter on my 20-inch for planets, and it would probably help with smaller scopes. Want to drill a hole in the back of your head? View Venus thru a 36-inch with no filter!  wink.gif

I had this happen to me for the first time this year and it scared the crap out of me.  I was planing a visit to the eye doc.  Too much time on the computer seems to have ruined my vision. 

#18 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Soyuz

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:00 AM

Just look for preservative free drops in individual vials.  They are plastic deformable and dispense about 20'drops each.  I keep them in the fridge and use or dispose once opened within 24hrs.

OK, found them on Amazon and thank you! Since I will be using them only when I observe or when I am at the computer for long periods, the throw away economy may not be too too bad. The drops aren't particularly cheap, and throwing away good product goes against my Scottish frugalness... but I understand the reason behind it.

CB

#19 Cpk133

Cpk133

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:32 AM

OK, found them on Amazon and thank you! Since I will be using them only when I observe or when I am at the computer for long periods, the throw away economy may not be too too bad. The drops aren't particularly cheap, and throwing away good product goes against my Scottish frugalness... but I understand the reason behind it.

CB

Just make sure they aren't counterfeit. I like to buy them from Walmart and I use Thera tears.  They have only 1 lubricant ingredient.  I was having an issue with irritation in my eyes after getting my eyes irrigated from debris (long story) and wanted to use a minimalist approach.  They work well for me so I stuck with them.

• SeaBee1 likes this

#20 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:28 AM

Any decent lubricant drop will work well.  Most drops use glycerin as the lubricant, but some of the "fancy" drops use mineral oils and do not have preservatives, and this is why they have to be sealed in little plastic vials. 

I am on my sixth eye surgery in two years, and when you have any kind of procedure like PRK or Lasik, the doctors generally recommend the preservative free drops, but that is probably more because they sealed, so far less chance of infection.

For normal lubricating though, a glycerin based drop is pretty much just as effective.  Between surgeries, my doctor has suggested that I use just regular drops frequently, but after surgery, he always insists using the sealed ones for one week.

I agree that drops are a fantastic idea, but there is no real need to spend a huge amount of money on preservative free drops if the normal drops do not cause you any problem.

Important point.  There are a lot of drops out there that are for stuff other than dry eye, so make sure that you don't pick one that is  "Redness" or anything else other than "Lubricating" your eye.  The package should just say "For dry eyes" or "Lubricating" eyes.

I have become a big fan of lubricating drops and I use drops several times a day (I started at my doctor's request).  I recommend now that everyone use them if they have a tendency to have dry eyes.

Edited by Eddgie, 27 May 2019 - 01:18 PM.

• Cpk133 and SeaBee1 like this

#21 Cpk133

Cpk133

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:09 PM

"make sure that you don't pick one that is  not  for "Redness" or anything else other than "Lubricating" your eye.  The package should just say "For dry eyes" or "Lubricating" eyes.

I think you meant to say don't pick one that is for redness or redness reducer.  

I never used to have an issue with regular lubricant drops until I got my eyes irrigated after a run in with a fiberglass pad under a light fixture.  For whatever reason, standard drops were making it worse and my doc recommended preservative free up to once an hour.  He said the regular drops, with preservative, shouldn't be used more than a couple times a day. I may go back to using them since I only use them once or twice a week now.  The Systane Optive drops always seemed to provide the best long term relief.

Edited by Cpk133, 27 May 2019 - 12:10 PM.

#22 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:17 PM

I think you meant to say don't pick one that is for redness or redness reducer.  

Yes, thank you.. I will make the correction.

#23 Chucke

Chucke

Viking 1

• Loc: AZ

Posted 27 May 2019 - 02:15 PM

They are in small sealed plastic vials.  I get them at Walmart.  Costco only has the large bottles.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics