•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

High elevation imaging.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 elmiko

elmiko

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:24 AM

This is a link to my rig I used while in Greer Az . It is a sleepy little community in the White Mountains of Eastern Arizona.

Elevation is 8500 ft. SQM 21.98!!!! I can't wait to get home and process my data! This is the darkest place I have imaged from.

Mike 

https://astrob.in/407215/0/

• psandelle and Lead_Weight like this

#2 Gipht

Gipht

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:09 AM

They are trying to reestablish a wolf population in that area.  Apparently you survived wink.gif!

• psandelle and elmiko like this

#3 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:24 PM

How cool!!! I'm only at around 5400', or so, but I will take the trek to higher realms one of these days.

Paul

• elmiko likes this

#4 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:36 PM

Mike,
The skies in the mountains of northern AZ are awesome, aren't they? I had the privilege of
observing from the N. Rim of the Grand Canyon (8,000 ft) last June. The skies were incredible,
especially to a "flatlander" like me, whose observatory is at 1,000 ft ASL!!

Ron Abbott
  • elmiko likes this

#5 elmiko

elmiko

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:47 PM

They are trying to reestablish a wolf population in that area.  Apparently you survived wink.gif!

Yes, we were talking to a shop owner today and she did mention that. So far got to image Thursday and Friday nights all night long!

Mike

#6 elmiko

elmiko

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:56 PM

How cool!!! I'm only at around 5400', or so, but I will take the trek to higher realms one of these days.

Paul

Hi Paul, that is some good elevation too. I live in the East valley of Phoenix metro at 1300 ft.

The skies were pristine the last two nights!

Mike

• psandelle likes this

#7 elmiko

elmiko

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

Mike,
The skies in the mountains of northern AZ are awesome, aren't they? I had the privilege of
observing from the N. Rim of the Grand Canyon (8,000 ft) last June. The skies were incredible,
especially to a "flatlander" like me, whose observatory is at 1,000 ft ASL!!

Ron Abbott

Yes Ron, I attended the 2011 GCSP on the south rim. Skies are pretty dark. But I hear the north rim is darker.

Imaged all night Thursday and Friday! Tonight should be clear too! Highs are in the 50's lows in the low 30's. 

Pristine!!!!!!!!

Mike

• psandelle likes this

#8 lakeorion

lakeorion

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:11 PM

I've never been able to combine elevation with dark.  I've been to the Mojave for dark and Loveland Pass for elevation (12,000) but Loveland actually isn't very dark.  Lights on I-70 and the ski hills and constant semi traffic on US-6 turn it into just a pretty place to look - not very great for imaging.  Great views of planets in my 5" Mak though.

#9 elmiko

elmiko

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:13 PM

I've never been able to combine elevation with dark.  I've been to the Mojave for dark and Loveland Pass for elevation (12,000) but Loveland actually isn't very dark.  Lights on I-70 and the ski hills and constant semi traffic on US-6 turn it into just a pretty place to look - not very great for imaging.  Great views of planets in my 5" Mak though.

Greer AZ is mostly a community of retirees. Less than 100 people live there full time. It is mostly inhabited by visitors who rent cabins to get away from the Phoenix heat during the summer months. There are no Interstates near by.  

Mike

#10 Mert

Mert

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 27 May 2019 - 02:09 PM

Sounds like a great place to settle when I retire ( if only my

wife would like to go from Spain to the USA ).

That is serious altitude, nearly 2600m high, must be an

extremely dark sky.

Enjoy!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics