•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

WHAT WOULD CONSIDER THE BEST SCOPE?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dakota1

Dakota1

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Burson, Ca.

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:13 PM

What would you consider the best all around scope for general astronomy the Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT at FL1500  FR F/12  or the   Nexstar  102 SLT FL660 FR F/6  I know there is a big difference between these two scopes. Looking at Globular clusters, Open clusters, Nebulas, Especially DSOs some planets. Give your feedback on these two scopes as to what you would choose and why. All feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks  Bill

• Procyon likes this

#2 Neptune

Neptune

Apollo

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:24 PM

You have to go bigger. At least 6" but better is 8"  Reflector of good quality for cost effectiveness.

• ShaulaB likes this

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:26 PM

IMO It would depend on the DSO - Planetary ratio.  If more Planetary than I'd go with the Mak, If more DSO then the Refractor.

#4 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:36 PM

I have the 102SLT and it is a fine small refractor, better for clusters and planetary than deep sky. I helped someone with their 127SLT the other night and was impressed by the nice bright images, but I didn’t get to explore lots of different objects with it. As a guess I would say the 127SLT is a good choice for brighter DSOs over the 102. Or save up and get the Nexstar Evolution 6 or 8, you will never regret it.

#5 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:14 AM

IMHO I would get a basic 10" DOB. 

https://www.telescop...ByCategoryId=13

https://optcorp.com/...nian-truss-tube

...etc

• gdjsky01 and ShaulaB like this

#6 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:57 AM

What would you consider the best all around scope for general astronomy the Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT at FL1500  FR F/12  or the   Nexstar  102 SLT FL660 FR F/6  I know there is a big difference between these two scopes. Looking at Globular clusters, Open clusters, Nebulas, Especially DSOs some planets. Give your feedback on these two scopes as to what you would choose and why. All feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks  Bill

I'll just answer the question. 

I'd pick the 127.  Bigger gathers more light faster.  The longer focal length is better for planets and small DSOs.  The field of view would be smaller, maybe too much so for large nebulas and clusters, but you can't have everything in one scope.  And a proper choice of eyepieces would help that some.

But this is my kind of decision.  Neither would be a mistake.  <smile>

Edited by bobzeq25, 26 May 2019 - 01:01 AM.

• descott12 likes this

#7 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Ranger 4

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:57 PM

DSOs?

If they are your PRIMARY interest, bigger is better. Go 127 if that is all you are willing to do.

Remember this: The scope you see the most in is the scope you use the most.

Be honest with yourself. Most people get a grab and go for that very reason. Even tho it is smaller than perhaps they can afford. They know that they'll see smudges for DSOs and be happy to see/detect them as well as hone their observing skills in the small scope. Some get a simple but larger Dobsonian for the nights they are willing to get away. And push to is a cheap(er) option on a dob.

OTOH Burston CA seems to already be off the beaten path. Seems to be Bortle class 4 because of Sacramento. But near the edge of class 3.

Depending on budget and interests...

Goto? Go with the largest aperture you can afford AND will take out (if not permanent). 

Push to? Go even larger! But make sure you'll not dread taking it out!

The 5 inch will go deeper than the 4 inch (except MAYBE on contrast / planets). But it has a narrow FOV. All scopes are compromise which is why many of us own so many.

#8 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Soyuz

• ***--
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 01 July 2019 - 05:46 PM

The Best scope is: "The Best scope to use is the one you will use most often"!

#9 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:18 AM

Free ones!

#10 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Soyuz

• ***--
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:39 AM

I got a FREE one last month! A 1991 Meade 2080 8" SCT, that needed some TLC. Once cleaned up, she is a real performer. I even got a wedge and tripod too!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics