After a few years of use I recently upped the payload on my original ioptron tripier (with a Mach1) by adding 60lbs of newt and gear on top. The overall weight is fine, but my one complaint about the tripier is the stance does not seem sufficiently wide enough for the payloads it can handle. I wanted a wider stance for improved stability. I also wanted a shorter overall height without lowering the central pier, and thus losing clearance for my camera gear on my TEC140 rig (which is pretty long when using the flattener). The shorter overall height would also make loading the scopes less back-breaking.
I sourced some 1" x 1.5" x 12" aluminum bar stock from Midwest Steel Supply. $26 for three 12" bars. I unbolted the existing spreaders (don't forget to loosen the locking grub screws on the bolts first!), and used them as a template for each end of the new 12" spreaders. The originals were something like 7" long. I used a sawzall with a good metal blade to make the cuts. Machine oil was critical to this process!! Otherwise the aluminum clogs up the teeth of the blade in the first 1/32nd of the cut. With the machine oil it cut like butter. Huge difference. Drill press for the new bolt holes at the ends, and bench grinder to round off the corners to match the originals. The cuts were not beautiful, but were effective. If you have something to cut and drill aluminum this is a very easy mod to do.
You can't see the markings on the tape measure, but the original distance between legs was 42" at max spread, and post mod they were at 51" at half spread, and probably around 55"+ at full spread. The narrowest stance post-mod is roughly equivalent to the widest stance pre-mod. I have so much extra width I'm considering trimming down the stainless steel leg tubes a bit. They seem like a potential weak point at such a wide stance, and with only 2.5" or so inserted into the main leg assembly, but also seem very strong and don't flex at all. I ditched the rubber vibration pads. They seemed to squishy to me and I was worried about the mount shifting/settling after polar alignment. Fears that were based on nothing, really.
Somewhat unrelated, but FWIW you don't need the very expensive Mach1 adapter from iOptron to use the tripier. The much cheaper and very well made ADATRI adapter from Astro-Physics will bolt directly to the top plate. Just use through-bolts and backup nuts for the connection, and don't worry about trying to use any of the threaded holes on the tripier top plate.
I also re-drilled, tapped, and replaced the three stock bolts holding the top cap to the pier. I used 1/4"-20 hex head bolts and locking washers, instead of the super tiny M4 (or something like that) stock ones that were always loosening up on me.