•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Observed a long trail of meteors in a line on the night of 5/25/19

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 johnlind

johnlind

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: East Central Minnesota

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:37 AM

Did anybody else see a trail of what looked like a hundred very small meteors followed by about 5 to 7 larger ones moving from just east of the small dipper headed eastward at about 11:30 central time on 5/24/19?!!! They must have passed and not have fallen into the atmosphere because there were no colors or any changes in direction, just white points of light moving faster than typical satellites do and remained in the sky in the same direction for as long as I could continue to track them, about 10-15 seconds, and then they were gone from sight. The smaller ones looked like what an asteroid might look like if it had broken up into hundreds of pieces and formed into a band with some height and much length to it. It reminded me of the comet S/L 9 that smashed into Jupiter back in July of 1994. I just wish that I could have pointed my scope at it or have gotten a picture of it. I have never seen anything like this before, and I have been looking at the night sky for 45 years now. If I hadn't seen it for myself, I'd have had a hard time believing someone else. We get very dark skies here 50 miles south of Duluth MN. Bye for now, must go outside for it is time to observe now.

J.L.

Edited by johnlind, 26 May 2019 - 01:39 AM.

#2 JamesTX

JamesTX

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:47 AM

Is this what you saw:

https://www.theverge...oek-netherlands

#3 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:49 AM

We saw them!

Starting around 9:48 and ending around 9:51 CDT. Our site is about 70 miles west of Houston, Tx. I assume these are the SpaceX Starlink satellites. They all passed about 1 degree from Arcturus moving SW to NE. Most were around 3rd magnitude but quite a few of them flared up to about -4 or -5. We saw three groupings, the first group looked like a train, so many they seemed connected. The other two groups were fewer and slightly staggered...not in a straight line. The third group is where we saw the flaring. 

It was way cool!

#4 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:50 AM

Is this what you saw:

https://www.theverge...oek-netherlands

Yep!

#5 Waddensky

Waddensky

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:44 AM

Yes, you most likely saw the recently launched Starlink satellites. Pass predictions based on preliminary orbital data can be found here: https://www.n2yo.com/passes/?s=74001

Also take a look at this thread:

https://www.cloudyni...nd-predictions/

I saw a pass yesterday. A very strange sight indeed.

Edited by Waddensky, 26 May 2019 - 02:45 AM.

#6 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:45 AM

I also saw the long train of satellites on friday evening at about 23.55 BST from my location at 52 North. they were heading north east in a long bright line of many sparkling colours and the spectacle lasted at least 15 seconds- it was wonderful to see and initially I thought it was a bright meteor. Many people telephoned the local authorities as they were worried about a possible alien invasionlol.gif

#7 T1R2

T1R2

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:40 AM

yes, I also witnesses it, on 5/25 @ 9:50pm ct, I thought they were/ may have been related to Asteroid 1999 KW4. but now we know.

#8 csa/montana  Happy Birthday!

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:53 AM

There is an ongoing thread on this topic, here.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics