•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

External temp sensor for auto focuser

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nimitz69

nimitz69

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:19 AM

Looks like a Rigel auto focuser is inbound as an upcoming birthday present.  should the external temp sensor be part of the pkg?

#2 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:41 PM

Are you automated, or will you be at the scope when imaging?

If you are automated, definitely get a temperature sensor.  You can use it two ways.  Every automation package that I've seen gives you the option of specifying a refocus on temperature change (where you can set the amount of change that you care about).  Some systems can be characterized so that the amount of focus change required to accommodate a specific temperature change is know.  In that case, you can set the focus software to continually adjust focus based on temperature.

If you get the temperature sensor, the best place to mount it is in contact with the scope's tube, since the tube temperature is what affects focus the most.

#3 nimitz69

nimitz69

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:18 PM

Not full automation where I start and just go to bed but I don’t sit out & monitor my scope real-time either, just check once in a while, but since I’d like to get to a point where I could set it & forget it until the morning the temp sensor sounds like the way to go .... what’s one more wire ... smile.gif

Edited by nimitz69, 26 May 2019 - 05:19 PM.

#4 rigelsys

rigelsys

Vendor (Rigel Systems)

• Vendors

Posted 26 May 2019 - 11:00 PM

Looks like a Rigel auto focuser is inbound as an upcoming birthday present.  should the external temp sensor be part of the pkg?

if you bought the full kit (usb-nSTEP + stepper) the temp sensor is included free. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics