•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron 6SE

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gamewarden

Gamewarden

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:57 AM

New guy here be patient

I have just acquired a 6SE.

Is there any advantage in purchasing 2 inch ep for this scope. I am hoping to start upgrading eP's for DSO's and am looking for something that would mate nicely with this scope. Any suggestions. Thinking something around 32mm. I do have somme trouble seeing through the smaller ep's.

thanks Mark

#2 redbaron12

redbaron12

Vostok 1

• Loc: Guilderland, NY

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:41 AM

I have a 6SE and don't see any benefit in using 2" eyepieces over 1 1/4.  The smaller baffle tube limits the field of view.  The larger eyepieces do complicate things.  The diagonals are heavier as are the eyepieces creating balance problems on that mount.  Also you will have clearance problems with the mount so your viewing will be limited in altitude.  There are "fixes" you can find on here but for me, I don't see any benefit.

If you're having trouble "seeing" thorough the smaller ep's, maybe something with more eye relief will help.  Just my opinion and I'm sure there are some 2" inch users that will chime in here.

Oh year, welcome to CN.  Lots of good information on the 6SE on here.  I love mine.

Mike

Edited by redbaron12, 26 May 2019 - 08:42 AM.

#3 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:42 AM

The only problem with the 6" SCT is the baffle orifice is small.  So it will not illuminate the entire FOV of

a 2" EP.  You will get some vignetting.

It's not bad.  I put a 2" visual back on my C6 and enjoyed it a lot. 

#4 kellyvictoria

kellyvictoria

Ranger 4

• Loc: Florida, 29 degrees N

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:43 AM

I believe any benefit of a 2" eyepiece comes in at 8" with a reflector. But that is alright, I would still purchase 2" eyepieces and 2" diagonal for your 6" as you can still use them with it.

I have a 6" SCT that I really like and will keep. But since you are new your journey in this hobby probably will take you to larger apertures down the road. Enjoy, buy the 2" and you won't be sorry.

Plan on a 2" 35mm Tele Vue Panoptic as well.

vk     

Edited by kellyvictoria, 26 May 2019 - 02:44 PM.

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:38 AM

Buying 2" gear for a 6SE ... no, that won't makes good sense. Most of the conversations around using 2" eyepieces on a C6 are from folks who already have the 2" gear and would like to use it on a new scope. There you might only have to buy a 2" visual back to take advantage of your 2" stuff ... for very minimal gain (possibly better eye relief with a longer focal length 2" eyepiece).

With a C6 for wider field work just add the SCT f6.3 focal reducer and use a 32mm Plossl or mid 20s mm 68° 1.25" eyepieces and be happy. Use any money saved for more appropriate accessories (solar filter, nice adjustable chair, better battery, 1.25" dielectric diagonal, other 1.25" eyepieces, etc.).

Edited by mclewis1, 26 May 2019 - 09:39 AM.

#6 kellyvictoria

kellyvictoria

Ranger 4

• Loc: Florida, 29 degrees N

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:43 PM

Gamewarden,
Given the sage advise that others have offered. It really is up to you.
Keeping in mind that Aperture does rule.

In the beginning of this hobby attending Star Parties with others more
experienced will give you a feel for what others use for visual.
I cannot say that I have seen anything but 2" eyepieces being used for
visual with SCTs, never mind the people with Dobs.
Go to Star Parties, ask questions and see what others use... don't worry about small budget add-ons... as they will come. Your accumulated experience is what will be your decision maker.
There are no right or wrong answers...Just try to learn from others
hands-on and you will find you have spent your money well.

If you do decide to go with the smaller size eyepiece a 24mm Televue Panoptic used (don't pay more than $240) and a nice 8-24mm zoom would be a nice start that you could use later with a refractor when the time comes.

A side note: Televue 2" 35mm used Panoptics do come up in our classified section here on CN for almost the same price. That is where I bought mine. It is my finder and absolutely the best EP I have
purchased.

Edited by kellyvictoria, 26 May 2019 - 04:10 PM.

#7 Gamewarden

Gamewarden

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:55 AM

Thanks everybody for the great advice. As you know this hobby is a steep learning curve at first. I have joined The Kingston, Ontario Canada chapter of the Royal Canadian Astronomy Association and learning lots.

Edited by Gamewarden, 28 May 2019 - 07:57 AM.

• mclewis1 and kellyvictoria like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics